The Student Room Group

I feel like a failure...help? (my story)

So I'm currently studying A-Levels now and I just keep comparing myself to others thinking I'm completely stupid, not smart, a failure, not going to get anywhere in life!
My GCSE grades for starters were terrible as I associated myself with the wrong group of people, no matter how much revision I do (I literally did so much non stop) I would come out with a terrible grade!
My GCSE grades are as follows:
Maths-B
English Lit-B
English Lan-C
French-C
Statistics- B
Additional Science-B
Core Science-C
Music-B
Sociology-D (Hated the subject, didn't find any interest)
ICT-D (Same as Sociology)
Geography-D (Didn't have a teacher for a whole entire year until 2 weeks before the exam)
PE-E (Teacher messed up my entire coursework and lied to me!)
ECDL-D*
Thats D*BBBBBCCCDDDE (Thats terrible and embarrassing)

Now I'm studying Psychology AQA A level, BTEC Level 3 Business (Chose this because it was equal to 2 A levels instead of 1 like Business A Level) and Core Maths (It was to help me with Psychology as it requires Maths- however I didn't choose this subject). I'm doing very well at the moment I'm predicted a D*D*B however I'm aiming for an A in Psychology as I have interest in the subject and would love to study Psychology at University!!

I just feel like my GCSE are the only alternative and possibly the BTEC that is stopping me and causing me to feel like a failure and I feel like they may stop me from getting into any University or even a job! I don't know :frown:

During my GCSE periods I've had so much pressure from my parents too as they shout and tell me "You best do good in your exam or we'll have problems" and this would terrify me!

I'm just in this state where I'm so upset and don't know what to do anymore! Any suggestions?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's not really that bad, if the average grade is a C, then you did better than most.

At my school only 41% of the students got more than 5Cs (including maths and english) and only a third of students taking maths passed overall and people didn't even complain.
Original post by Dinasaurus
It's not really that bad, if the average grade is a C, then you did better than most.

At my school only 41% of the students got more than 5Cs (including maths and english) and only a third of students taking maths passed overall and people didn't even complain.

I know but I just feel like a complete failure and thinking I won't get anywhere with grades like that!
Original post by Ihonestlydk
I know but I just feel like a complete failure and thinking I won't get anywhere with grades like that!

You could probably still go to uni, GCSE grades don't really matter that much and you could always take an access course of a foundation year/degree if that doesn't work out.

There's usually always a way.
You could probably still go to uni, GCSE grades don't really matter that much and you could always take an access course of a foundation year/degree if that doesn't work out.

There's usually always a way.

What GCSE grades did you get?
Reply 5
Nah. Once you leave school no-one will ever ask you about your GCSEs again. In the real world they are mostly irrelevant.
Reply 6
Hey there :tongue:

Try not to worry about this so much, I know its very hard to do. I also have some pretty shameful GCSE's, but to be really honest your further study (e.g BTEC, A levels or a degree) will be more important. You have some very good predicted grades, and provided you work hard you should achieve what it is you hope to :redface:.

The pressure from your parents can be stressful, I also have a similar thing from my dad. Although its hard to do I guess the best thing you can do is tell them you're working as hard as you can, and it would be highly beneficial for you if they stopped pressurising you so much :h:
Original post by cmr98
Hey there :tongue:

Try not to worry about this so much, I know its very hard to do. I also have some pretty shameful GCSE's, but to be really honest your further study (e.g BTEC, A levels or a degree) will be more important. You have some very good predicted grades, and provided you work hard you should achieve what it is you hope to :redface:.

The pressure from your parents can be stressful, I also have a similar thing from my dad. Although its hard to do I guess the best thing you can do is tell them you're working as hard as you can, and it would be highly beneficial for you if they stopped pressurising you so much :h:

What GCSE grades did you get and what you studying for A level/Degree?
What GCSE grades did you get?

1A*, 8As, 3Bs and half a C.

But it really doesn't mean too much, it could all change after A levels. I flopped my A2 levels pretty hard and I have like C grades, whereas I know people who got way worse GCSEs than me with better A level results.
1A*, 8As, 3Bs and half a C.

But it really doesn't mean too much, it could all change after A levels. I flopped my A2 levels pretty hard and I have like C grades, whereas I know people who got way worse GCSEs than me with better A level results.

I hope A Levels can make up for bad GCSE results :frown:
I hope A Levels can make up for bad GCSE results :frown:

It might actually be good in a way, I find that the reason a lot of the students who struggled at GCSE ended up doing better at A level was because they knew what it felt like to struggle and they knew methods of tackling it.
Reply 11
What GCSE grades did you get and what you studying for A level/Degree?

I don't remember them exactly but mostly between B's C's and D's. Last year at AS I studied biology, psychology, history, history of art and politics, and this year I'm studying biology, psychology, history and I'm also doing EPQ.

I also messed up my AS exams, mostly thanks to my parents deciding to renovate the whole house during my exams :colonhash: I got CDDDE, predicted CCCD this year which I'm very disappointed about as I put so much effort in
Original post by cmr98
I don't remember them exactly but mostly between B's C's and D's. Last year at AS I studied biology, psychology, history, history of art and politics, and this year I'm studying biology, psychology, history and I'm also doing EPQ.

I also messed up my AS exams, mostly thanks to my parents deciding to renovate the whole house during my exams :colonhash: I got CDDDE, predicted CCCD this year which I'm very disappointed about as I put so much effort in

Aww I hope you come out with outstanding grades! Hows Psychology for you? I'm enjoying it right now, I believe you're doing Edexcel?
Do you plan on going University, if so, which one and to study what?
Reply 13
Aww I hope you come out with outstanding grades! Hows Psychology for you? I'm enjoying it right now, I believe you're doing Edexcel?
Do you plan on going University, if so, which one and to study what?

Aww thank you, I hope so too :redface: I really loved psychology last year, I had a really great teacher but I don't like it quite so much this year as my teacher doesn't really do anything useful at all to teach it :colonhash: I'm doing AQA, but I think my course has changed now for the new year 12's :tongue:

I am yes to study Biomedical science, I'm currently thinking Keele or Middlesex, both of which I have offers for. I'm hoping to reapply to Queen Mary in London through adjustment as I loved it but got rejected :h:
Original post by cmr98
Aww thank you, I hope so too :redface: I really loved psychology last year, I had a really great teacher but I don't like it quite so much this year as my teacher doesn't really do anything useful at all to teach it :colonhash: I'm doing AQA, but I think my course has changed now for the new year 12's :tongue:

I am yes to study Biomedical science, I'm currently thinking Keele or Middlesex, both of which I have offers for. I'm hoping to reapply to Queen Mary in London through adjustment as I loved it but got rejected :h:

The new year 12 AQA Spec for Psychology seems so straightforward by sucks that we have to take the exam after 2 years!

Aw sweet! I hope you get into your chosen University and study the course you want to study :smile: I'm hoping to go either Durham (Emailed them and they said I have to get D*D*A with GCSE Maths B-which I've got), Manchester (D*D*B/D*D*A), York, Birmingham, Liverpool. Not sure yet but I've got time, really want to go Manchester though! I want to study Psychology and if it goes well I want to do Postgraduate for Clinical Psychology :tongue: But I hope everything goes well at A level first :smile:
Reply 15
The new year 12 AQA Spec for Psychology seems so straightforward by sucks that we have to take the exam after 2 years!

Aw sweet! I hope you get into your chosen University and study the course you want to study :smile: I'm hoping to go either Durham (Emailed them and they said I have to get D*D*A with GCSE Maths B-which I've got), Manchester (D*D*B/D*D*A), York, Birmingham, Liverpool. Not sure yet but I've got time, really want to go Manchester though! I want to study Psychology and if it goes well I want to do Postgraduate for Clinical Psychology :tongue: But I hope everything goes well at A level first :smile:

If you're on track for excellent grades like you said and intending to apply to top universities then there is no way you should feel like a failure!

Why would you think that?
So I'm currently studying A-Levels now and I just keep comparing myself to others thinking I'm completely stupid, not smart, a failure, not going to get anywhere in life!
My GCSE grades for starters were terrible as I associated myself with the wrong group of people, no matter how much revision I do (I literally did so much non stop) I would come out with a terrible grade!
My GCSE grades are as follows:
Maths-B
English Lit-B
English Lan-C
French-C
Statistics- B
Additional Science-B
Core Science-C
Music-B
Sociology-D (Hated the subject, didn't find any interest)
ICT-D (Same as Sociology)
Geography-D (Didn't have a teacher for a whole entire year until 2 weeks before the exam)
PE-E (Teacher messed up my entire coursework and lied to me!)
ECDL-D*
Thats D*BBBBBCCCDDDE (Thats terrible and embarrassing)

Now I'm studying Psychology AQA A level, BTEC Level 3 Business (Chose this because it was equal to 2 A levels instead of 1 like Business A Level) and Core Maths (It was to help me with Psychology as it requires Maths- however I didn't choose this subject). I'm doing very well at the moment I'm predicted a D*D*B however I'm aiming for an A in Psychology as I have interest in the subject and would love to study Psychology at University!!

I just feel like my GCSE are the only alternative and possibly the BTEC that is stopping me and causing me to feel like a failure and I feel like they may stop me from getting into any University or even a job! I don't know :frown:

During my GCSE periods I've had so much pressure from my parents too as they shout and tell me "You best do good in your exam or we'll have problems" and this would terrify me!

I'm just in this state where I'm so upset and don't know what to do anymore! Any suggestions?

Once you're in the real world, applying for jobs and stuff, people are only really interested in your highest level qualifications. So if you're doing a levels, once you've done them no one cares about GCSEs really. And if you do a degree, no one will be all that fussed about your a levels. So I shouldn't worry about it, just nail your a levels and you'll be in fine stead :smile:
Original post by yt7777
If you're on track for excellent grades like you said and intending to apply to top universities then there is no way you should feel like a failure!

Why would you think that?

I just feel like I have no hope in getting anywhere with the GCSE grades I have achieved.. I knew I could have done better if I didn't associate myself with the wrong group of "friends" :frown: Plus when I compare myself to other people who have a much higher standard of their academic achievements its makes me feel like a total failure but I understand, I shouldn't compare myself to others but just focus on whats best for me and myself only.
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Once you're in the real world, applying for jobs and stuff, people are only really interested in your highest level qualifications. So if you're doing a levels, once you've done them no one cares about GCSEs really. And if you do a degree, no one will be all that fussed about your a levels. So I shouldn't worry about it, just nail your a levels and you'll be in fine stead :smile:

Thank you! :smile: That made me feel better, also does it matter what University you go to? Or do they not look into that? I want to go to either Manchester, Liverpool, York, Birmingham, Durham and I don't know what else. as I'm currently researching different universities and their entry requirements.
Thank you! :smile: That made me feel better, also does it matter what University you go to? Or do they not look into that? I want to go to either Manchester, Liverpool, York, Birmingham, Durham and I don't know what else. as I'm currently researching different universities and their entry requirements.

It matters in the most shallow of ways like 'oh I went there too' as long as they are of a certain calibre lol just qualifying there. There doesn't seem to be anything you've listed that would be a negative but I guess that's the case with most unis you could list :smile:

Your A Levels will matter far more than GCSES, are you at AS or A2 level right now? Guessing AS as you havent submitted uni choices.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending