The Student Room Group

Ice Hockey in the UK?

Hi guys!

I'm a huge ice hockey fan and player. I've been playing my entire life, coached a bit, and referee too. I was wondering if there are any UK natives that play ice hockey, if you guys could share your experiences with it, or anything else relating? I'd like to study in England but may have a hard time giving up the ice hockey. Not entirely sure how popular it is over there!

Thanks! :smile:
Massive NHL fan here. As for playing ice hockey, there are some universities that offer it as a sport, judging by this page here: http://www.buiha.org.uk/

But for the most part, it's definitely the least well known of the 4 sports here, since in PE in schools you usually play a bit of baseball and basketball, and then universities have popular teams for basketball and American Football is growing. This applies to the actual professional leagues too, the NFL/NBA get a lot more exposure than the NHL does.

For the most part, us NHL fans here just have to make do with watching the games ourselves at odd hours :tongue:
Original post by MrDystopia
Massive NHL fan here. As for playing ice hockey, there are some universities that offer it as a sport, judging by this page here: http://www.buiha.org.uk/

But for the most part, it's definitely the least well known of the 4 sports here, since in PE in schools you usually play a bit of baseball and basketball, and then universities have popular teams for basketball and American Football is growing. This applies to the actual professional leagues too, the NFL/NBA get a lot more exposure than the NHL does.

For the most part, us NHL fans here just have to make do with watching the games ourselves at odd hours :tongue:

Me too! Whats your favorite team? Go Bruins and/or Wings!

Looks awesome. Are there women's teams as well?

Aw, that sucks. I stream a good amount of games through British channels since I don't have cable. You guys do have weird ads though...:P

Haha, I can live with that!
Original post by icehockeyolive

Aw, that sucks. I stream a good amount of games through British channels since I don't have cable. You guys do have weird ads though...:P

Haha, I can live with that!

I know Oxford has a women's team. But I think most of the UK university teams are mixed. Be warned that the standard of skill is generally pretty low.

I don't have cable either but I have that NHL network thing where you can watch most games over the internet.

Go Cats! :woo:
Original post by Sabertooth
I know Oxford has a women's team. But I think most of the UK university teams are mixed. Be warned that the standard of skill is generally pretty low.

I don't have cable either but I have that NHL network thing where you can watch most games over the internet.

Go Cats! :woo:

Thats cool! I'm find with mixed. Is it checking or no checking? How low is the skill level?

Cats? The Florida Panthers?
Thats cool! I'm find with mixed. Is it checking or no checking? How low is the skill level?

Cats? The Florida Panthers?

It was all no checking when I played but I think I saw something on my facebook feed about there possibly being a checking team now. Don't quote me on that though. As for skill level, there are a few north Americans who pull it up substantially but otherwise really not great. The Elite league (professional uk one) is probably less than US college level skill wise.

Yep, Panthers. Doing awesomely this season :biggrin:

Sharks are my team. If I had to pick a 2nd I'd say the Leafs :tongue:

As Sabertooth said, it's not very high quality, and I believe for the most part they're mixed team. Again, simply cause there's not enough interest in the game to warrant investment into women teams. And on the page I linked there, seems like there's a Checking and Non Checking league.

The same can be said for American ads! Of which for a start, there's a ridiculous amount.
It was all no checking when I played but I think I saw something on my facebook feed about there possibly being a checking team now. Don't quote me on that though. As for skill level, there are a few north Americans who pull it up substantially but otherwise really not great. The Elite league (professional uk one) is probably less than US college level skill wise.

Yep, Panthers. Doing awesomely this season :biggrin:

Interesting. I've played both and prefer checking. No checking is annoying because I am one of the taller players so I can't really use my size to my advantage and moving your feet while trying to take the puck and impede their position is harder as well. Thats good to know. Are most players North American or Scandinavian? Really? Interesting. I didn't know there was a professional league.

You are literally the first panthers fan I've met...everyone here just makes fun of them :P They are my 4th favorite and are doing well this year though!
Original post by MrDystopia
Sharks are my team. If I had to pick a 2nd I'd say the Leafs :tongue:

As Sabertooth said, it's not very high quality, and I believe for the most part they're mixed team. Again, simply cause there's not enough interest in the game to warrant investment into women teams. And on the page I linked there, seems like there's a Checking and Non Checking league.

The same can be said for American ads! Of which for a start, there's a ridiculous amount.

I have nothing really against the sharks. The leafs are currently the biggest joke in the league :P I'm for the bruins and wings! :smile:

Cool! So is it basically just like recreational hockey then? That is what I'm looking for since I'll be studying at the same time. Nothing too intense :smile:

Haha, whats so weird about American ads? :P I noticed British ads tend to target smarter people while American ones target the stupid and the gullible.
Interesting. I've played both and prefer checking. No checking is annoying because I am one of the taller players so I can't really use my size to my advantage and moving your feet while trying to take the puck and impede their position is harder as well. Thats good to know. Are most players North American or Scandinavian? Really? Interesting. I didn't know there was a professional league.

You are literally the first panthers fan I've met...everyone here just makes fun of them :P They are my 4th favorite and are doing well this year though!

I'm not very big (5'9) and have not played in a checking league before, but I feel like I'd probably get crushed if I did (though I have got penalties from "accidentally" bumping into other players a few times) :laugh:

I think there were 2 Canadians on the team I played on and one guy from Finland I think it was. Their skill-level completely dwarfed pretty much all the British players.

And yeah, the professional league is fun to watch so long as you don't expect too much :wink:

I live in the US too. :smile: I agree, the Panthers are somewhat lacking in support but hopefully people might take more notice once they win the Stanley cup make the playoffs. :tongue:
I'm not very big (5'9) and have not played in a checking league before, but I feel like I'd probably get crushed if I did (though I have got penalties from "accidentally" bumping into other players a few times) :laugh:

I think there were 2 Canadians on the team I played on and one guy from Finland I think it was. Their skill-level completely dwarfed pretty much all the British players.

And yeah, the professional league is fun to watch so long as you don't expect too much :wink:

I live in the US too. :smile: I agree, the Panthers are somewhat lacking in support but hopefully people might take more notice once they win the Stanley cup make the playoffs. :tongue:

I'm 5'9 too! :biggrin: Checking isn't that bad. Being shorter means you have a lower center of gravity though :smile: Haha, I get penalties for that a lot too :biggrin: I've had parents yell at me for calling those calls while refereeing as well. lol. Fun stuff!

Nice! What was playing on the team like? Was it just games or practices as well?

I'll try not to :wink:

Whereabouts? :smile: Miami isn't exactly the biggest hockey place. Neither is Florida. I went to a Lightning game before and all that the fans cared about was the fighting and body checking...they hardly understood any of the penalties or plays. I'm going for the Bruins or Wings :biggrin: Anyone but the Blackhawks or Canadians...I hate those teams :wink:
There also three women leagues in the uk. The elite league, premier league and a division south. So if your looking to play for a team in a league their some choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a massive ice hockey fan, although I don't play personally. I follow the English Premier League, and my team is the Basingstoke Bison. I watch them every weekend and its great fun, its a shame more people aren't interested.
NHL.tv is pretty OK, I just bought it for the rest of the season for under £20. Kind of frustrating how bad some of it is compared to NFL GamePass on things that are totally correctable like editing out the "we are in a commercial" screen. But I can watch games on my phone in decent quality which is cool.

You can definitely play here, Nottingham is probably the best place because everywhere else teams have to compete for ice time with public skating. I'm trying to join a recreational team in Coventry but they all train at dumb times and half of them don't even have contact details on their sites :nothing:

I've seen recreational teams play and there are players ranging from not that bad to not being able to stand up.
Original post by SmashConcept
NHL.tv is pretty OK, I just bought it for the rest of the season for under £20. Kind of frustrating how bad some of it is compared to NFL GamePass on things that are totally correctable like editing out the "we are in a commercial" screen. But I can watch games on my phone in decent quality which is cool.

You can definitely play here, Nottingham is probably the best place because everywhere else teams have to compete for ice time with public skating. I'm trying to join a recreational team in Coventry but they all train at dumb times and half of them don't even have contact details on their sites :nothing:

I've seen recreational teams play and there are players ranging from not that bad to not being able to stand up.

Sounds good then! I have NHL gamecenter which is similar.

Good to know. Sounds annoying though. What time do they train at?

haha, nice. They have teams like that here too. Are there a lot of North Americans playing?
Played a lot of roller hockey through school and uni - ice rinks are hard to come by - but did dabble in ice hockey on occasion. Was fun, but I was nowhere near physical enough to enjoy it.

I haven't played it in years, but definitely miss skating.
Original post by Drewski
Played a lot of roller hockey through school and uni - ice rinks are hard to come by - but did dabble in ice hockey on occasion. Was fun, but I was nowhere near physical enough to enjoy it.

I haven't played it in years, but definitely miss skating.

Sounds cool! They don't really have roller hockey where I live and I suck at roller skating :P

Skating is fun. Wish it was easier to come by in some areas though.
Sounds good then! I have NHL gamecenter which is similar.

Good to know. Sounds annoying though. What time do they train at?

haha, nice. They have teams like that here too. Are there a lot of North Americans playing?

The only team whose email I found trains at like 9pm on a Sunday, which isn't great for work. But I'll go and see what they're about if they get back to me.

I don't really know who plays for recreational teams. The North Americans I know don't play, but I don't know many other players since I'm not on a team.
Original post by SmashConcept
The only team whose email I found trains at like 9pm on a Sunday, which isn't great for work. But I'll go and see what they're about if they get back to me.

I don't really know who plays for recreational teams. The North Americans I know don't play, but I don't know many other players since I'm not on a team.

Lots of rec teams in the US train at those hours as well actually. Some Friday night teams have games at 10:30. I've seen tournaments that went until 1. Youth games are normally at reasonable hours.

Ah, makes sense then.

Quick Reply

Latest