The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RonnieRJ
I do three sciences and maths A2 and doing further maths AS on my own this year. Definitely doing FP1 and M1, but I've not really started the third unit and only have about two months left till the exam.
I'm fine with both pure and mechanics but which one is easier to self teach in a short period of time? Kinda need an A lol :|

I'd definitely go with M2, if you're okay in M1 then M2 is really easy.
Reply 21
Original post by Zacken
I would go for FP2... I found it an utter breeze compared to M2. Plus, it's actually really fast to self-teach!

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Personally I find FP2 easier than M2

You strange people. :tongue:
Reply 22
Original post by Oil lamp
Can I ask how come you are doing As and 4 Alevels?
I was gonna do literally same as you but also consider A2 but school didn't allow me to.

That's no excuse. :h:
Definatly M2 because M2 mostly builds on what you learn from M1 while FP2 brings in more "new" things that you wont have seen in any other maths module so far :-)

Probably one of the only new thing in M2 would be Centre of Mass but I found that actually easier than some of the other parts that build on M1 because you onl ever basically look at centre of mass in a 2D plane at the most which simplifies a lot of things xD.

Good luck!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by SeanFM
Slightly lost - I'm not sure if FP2 is allowed to go towards AS Further Maths?

I would suggest the lowest Decision or Stats that you can do but.. :innocent: :hide:

Or is this a freaky exam board? :ninjagirl:

You can use FP2 towards it :smile:
M2 and FP2 are my only options as I've completed D1 and S1 for my Maths A level. Then FP1, M1 and another unit :smile:
Original post by Oil lamp
Can I ask how come you are doing As and 4 Alevels?
I was gonna do literally same as you but also consider A2 but school didn't allow me to.
You don't need it do u? Because I thought u got an offer from ucl but just wondering if that's one of the conditions.

Btw M2 is tasty I'm doing for normal maths it's just physics + M1 + goodness.

Well I just decided to do it, no one stopped me lol. It's not a requirement but I didn't want to drop any of my subjects and I wanted to pick up further maths because I was regretting not doing it, so doing it on my own now.
My offer is still based on 3 A levels but it's very flexible, so I can get the grades in any of the four subjects :smile:
Reply 25
Btw thanks everyone for the help 🌚
Most people are saying M2 and although there's variations in preference I think that's what I'll go for just because it's less "new" stuff to learn :biggrin:
Surprised noone has suggested both
Original post by Student403
Surprised noone has suggested both

But if we suggest both then she might as well take enough to get a full A-level.
Original post by zetamcfc
But if we suggest both then she might as well take enough to get a full A-level.

No. One can be an insurance module
Original post by Zacken
A fair estimate would be a week to learn it and another week to practice it and you're basically done in half a month.

We get it Zacken, you're a no-lifer who spends his entire day learning maths and gloating about how much progress you're making. But guess what, not everyone is as smart as you, so stop giving out incompatible advice please.
Original post by Alcohonick
We get it Zacken, you're a no-lifer who spends his entire day learning maths and gloating about how much progress you're making. But guess what, not everyone is as smart as you, so stop giving out incompatible advice please.

Tbh this is not really that unrealistic for someone learning outside a classroom...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zetamcfc
Tbh this is not really that unrealistic for someone learning outside a classroom...

I know, but he's making the assumption that the OP is highly proficient at maths. And giving out bad, redundant advice just so he can gloat about his maths skills.
I know, but he's making the assumption that the OP is highly proficient at maths. And giving out bad, redundant advice just so he can gloat about his maths skills.

Well if OP is considering FP2 she must have decent proficiency...
Original post by Student403
Well if OP is considering FP2 she must have decent proficiency...

I said highly proficient not decently proficient. You need to be highly proficient to learn FP2 in just two weeks, given that the OP hasn't even touched M2 or FP2, it is too early to say that they are 'highly proficient'.
I said highly proficient not decently proficient. You need to be highly proficient to learn FP2 in just two weeks, given that the OP hasn't even touched M2 or FP2, it is too early to say that they are 'highly proficient'.

:lol:
Yes, choose M2 and FP2 imo.
(edited 8 years ago)
those hyperbolic functions... give you a chance to sinh

:hat2:

He was, if anything, erring on the side of caution. You can easily do a module per week from scratch to A* proficiency. Now that is treating it in a serious manner as in a job, i.e. 40 hours. In fact the AS modules you can probably polish off two modules per week.
Original post by the bear
those hyperbolic functions... give you a chance to sinh

:hat2:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
matrices are interesting. eigen stuff. the Cayley Hamilton theorem is really neat.

Latest