The Student Room Group

On the COMMON APP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the.chantele
I'm in year 12 and filling in information on the common app to study in America after my completion of A-levels and l was just wondering if anyone had any success with the website and any tips for me?

You are not supposed to be applying now. You are supposed to apply in August 2016 for entry in August/September 2017 - you're doing it wrong.

If you need help - feel free to ask me as I applied this year but you're doing it wrong. The Common Application will delete your profile come July.
Reply 21
How did it go?

I got into the universities I applied to, but I'm American ^_^
Original post by kclintdever
you can ask me everything about the common app @the.chantele.

I'll PM you for any help.
Original post by lo24la
I got into the universities I applied to, but I'm American ^_^

What are the best universities round California and Miami.

I want to go somewhere that's always going to be hot like...weather is important to me as well as the university.

Also, to do a certain course like microbiology, do you Americans judge by your points (GPA) or do you have to do a similar subject like here in the UK to do Medicine you need to do Chemistry, Biology, Math and something else for A-level?
Reply 24
ok, the best universities around Cali would be UCB, Stanford, UCLA, Caltech, Harvey Mudd, Pomona, Scripps, USC, Claremont McKenna. And for Miami, UF, U of Miami, and maybe Stetson. Also UH (hawaii manoa) could be a great choice, cuz u know u can feel the hot weather of hawaii along with the breeze from trade wind, but the cost of living is ****. also for a certain course, it is a mix of gpa and ap, so called holistic method.

I want to go somewhere that's always going to be hot like...weather is important to me as well as the university.

Also, to do a certain course like microbiology, do you Americans judge by your points (GPA) or do you have to do a similar subject like here in the UK to do Medicine you need to do Chemistry, Biology, Math and something else for A-level?

U Miami
U Cal LA
U Cal Irvine
U Cal Riverside (more inland/east of Los Angeles)
U Cal San Diego
U Southern California
Pepperdine
Occidental
Loyola Marymount

U Cal's run on their own system, not the common app.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26

California: Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, etc.
Florida: University of Florida, University of Miami, and Florida State

These schools (like Stanford) are some of the best in the country as well. With that being said, please realize you'll be competing with 3.3+ MILLION high school seniors for one spot. You definitely need to speak to your counselor and academic advisor to help you get everything prepared if you're serious about attending. It won't be easy, but don't give up:smile: Also, start taking the SAT and ACT, there are some Americans who have been preparing since the age of 10-- no joke.

As for your other question, just to be sure I understand correctly: Are you asking if in order to take a certain class (Microbiology) in college, is that judged by your GPA/classes you took in junior/senior year (A-levels)?

If yes, here's the answer:
When you go to university/college in America, regardless of what you studied during A-levels/high school, you can study ANYTHING you desire. Medicine, Engineering, English-- ANYTHING. Major, double major, minor in it, it does not matter. Your money, your choice.
HOWEVER, certain majors require you to be accepted 'twice'. This is what I mean: My brother wanted to study engineering at a certain school. First he had to be accepted into the university, then be accepted into their engineering school. Using your SAT/ACT scores, GPA, extracurriculars, interview, recommendations, and a few other elements, will decide if you're accepted into these specific programs. Not all courses require prior acceptance, but I know Engineering and Medicine probably do.
Original post by lo24la
California: Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, etc.
Florida: University of Florida, University of Miami, and Florida State

These schools (like Stanford) are some of the best in the country as well. With that being said, please realize you'll be competing with 3.3+ MILLION high school seniors for one spot. You definitely need to speak to your counselor and academic advisor to help you get everything prepared if you're serious about attending. It won't be easy, but don't give up:smile: Also, start taking the SAT and ACT, there are some Americans who have been preparing since the age of 10-- no joke.

As for your other question, just to be sure I understand correctly: Are you asking if in order to take a certain class (Microbiology) in college, is that judged by your GPA/classes you took in junior/senior year (A-levels)?

If yes, here's the answer:
When you go to university/college in America, regardless of what you studied during A-levels/high school, you can study ANYTHING you desire. Medicine, Engineering, English-- ANYTHING. Major, double major, minor in it, it does not matter. Your money, your choice.
HOWEVER, certain majors require you to be accepted 'twice'. This is what I mean: My brother wanted to study engineering at a certain school. First he had to be accepted into the university, then be accepted into their engineering school. Using your SAT/ACT scores, GPA, extracurriculars, interview, recommendations, and a few other elements, will decide if you're accepted into these specific programs. Not all courses require prior acceptance, but I know Engineering and Medicine probably do.

Wow, how l wish l came America because A-levels here are so HARD. Like...wow...there is a whole difference.

What revision guides did you use for your SAT/ACT tests because l'm also new at that though l know they will be testing your English and all that.

And for UCLA l don't really understand the requirements needed to study the course there. So l'm researching more information about it although l'm finding nothing.

Is it true UCLA only want A students only no below?

UGH, you probably understand how much l want to go America especially the top universities to study microbiology.
Reply 28
Wow, how l wish l came America because A-levels here are so HARD. Like...wow...there is a whole difference.

What revision guides did you use for your SAT/ACT tests because l'm also new at that though l know they will be testing your English and all that.

And for UCLA l don't really understand the requirements needed to study the course there. So l'm researching more information about it although l'm finding nothing.

UGH, you probably understand how much l want to go America especially the top universities to study microbiology.

Do you have any SAT/ACT classes available in the UK? If so, please attend because I went to those classes and they really helped. Also, SAT lessons were incorporated into the curriculum at my high school. Does your school offer Latin? PLEASE TAKE LATIN IF THEY DO. The SAT Black Book is a good place to start (you can order it online). I also took the PSAT (practice SATS) for 4 years; you can find some sample PSATs online:smile:

I don't know much about UCLA, but my friend's boyfriend attends there and he had a 4.8 GPA... that's like the equivalent of an A++ in every class, and all his high school classes were college courses (which gave him the bump in his GPA) :s-smilie: He was crazy. But it was his dream school.
From what I know about most top universities, you need a minimum of a 4.0 (all As for all 4 years of high school) and a great SAT/ACT score. However, some people have gotten in with a 3.7! But if you can try to get straight As, it will GREATLY improve your chances!!

I know you can attend school in America, but if you want to be in one of the Ivy League schools, please start making sure you're strong in every single aspects (grades, SAT/ACT, extracurricular activities, and volunteering). I know you'll make it!! ^_^
Original post by lo24la
Do you have any SAT/ACT classes available in the UK? If so, please attend because I went to those classes and they really helped. Also, SAT lessons were incorporated into the curriculum at my high school. Does your school offer Latin? PLEASE TAKE LATIN IF THEY DO. The SAT Black Book is a good place to start (you can order it online). I also took the PSAT (practice SATS) for 4 years; you can find some sample PSATs online:smile:

I don't know much about UCLA, but my friend's boyfriend attends there and he had a 4.8 GPA... that's like the equivalent of an A++ in every class, and all his high school classes were college courses (which gave him the bump in his GPA) :s-smilie: He was crazy. But it was his dream school.
From what I know about most top universities, you need a minimum of a 4.0 (all As for all 4 years of high school) and a great SAT/ACT score. However, some people have gotten in with a 3.7! But if you can try to get straight As, it will GREATLY improve your chances!!

I know you can attend school in America, but if you want to be in one of the Ivy League schools, please start making sure you're strong in every single aspects (grades, SAT/ACT, extracurricular activities, and volunteering). I know you'll make it!! ^_^

I'm going to check with there are SAT/ACT classes but we sit the SAT/ACT here.

No, no latin at all. Though at secondary school we did French D:

I'm going to buy the book online tonight and also try out the PSATs online right after this.

You mean as in grades through your entire education or APs to SAT/ACT scores?

My A-level grades are prediction of all As. My school does 3 a-levels so yeah. I'm definitely going to revise for the SAT/ACT test during summer holidays.

I'm going to volunteer to a lot of things because l have done so little like l have gone to 5 places.By 2017 l need to be at least have visited 20 - LOL.

Can you say for the extracurricular activities...that l have played netball for 1 year at secondary school, athletics 5 years but stopped once l started college/sixth form. Basketball but stopped and football for a few months because we had to stop it due to the amount of people participating.

And l'm also starting to wonder...what university do you go too or have you completed your course?

I really appreciate you helping me - means a lot.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
I'm going to check with there are SAT/ACT classes but we sit the SAT/ACT here.

No, no latin at all. Though at secondary school we did French D:

I'm going to buy the book online tonight and also try out the PSATs online right after this.

You mean as in grades through your entire education or APs to SAT/ACT scores?

My A-level grades are prediction of all As. My school does 3 a-levels so yeah. I'm definitely going to revise for the SAT/ACT test during summer holidays.

I'm going to volunteer to a lot of things because l have done so little like l have gone to 5 places.By 2017 l need to be at least have visited 20 - LOL.

Can you say for the extracurricular activities...that l have played netball for 1 year at secondary school, athletics 5 years but stopped once l started college/sixth form. Basketball but stopped and football for a few months because we had to stop it due to the amount of people participating.

And l'm also starting to wonder...what university do you go too or have you completed your course?

I really appreciate you helping me - means a lot.

I mean grades as in what you received in your AP classes and regular classes. If you have all As, you're doing great already!

For volunteering, try to get as many hours possible! Even if it's at the same place.

For extracurricular activities, sports are great, however, colleges like to see long term commitment. Athletics (which I assume is like physical education in America) wouldn't really count:\ But basketball, netball, and football are all great! Do you do any clubs or have leadership positions in school? Some extracurricular ideas:
-Clubs
-Sports
-Music (choir/band/guitar)
-Theatre
-Honor Societies
-Job
-Student Council
-Leadership position

For privacy reasons, I want to keep which university I'll be attending next year private. I'm currently a senior in high school, so I will be starting university in August:smile: Glad to help in any way!

For a UK to US conversion, it is highly likely that A level grades will be treated like AP grades. From when I last checked, some of the curriculum crossed over.

Another factor you have to consider is that most US high schools weigh AP courses on a different scale compared to others. Non-APs usually are on the 1-4 scale, whilst honours/AP courses are may be out of 5.2, or 6. According to UCLA's stats, it's a 3.90 unweighted GPA (all courses count for the same) with a 2100-2260 SAT (with the writing section). I expect the SAT score to be around 1400-1500 next year, due to the removal of the writing section. As and A* on A levels will make you highly competitive.

For UCal, most schools are very competitive to get into for international/out of state students. When I applied, it was Berkeley>LA>Irvine/San Diego>Merced/Riverside in terms of difficulty.

One thing you have to factor in is the cost of living as well. California is one of the most expensive states, and the Bay Area and Los Angeles are also very expensive.

As for extra-curriculars, leadership/senior roles (otherwise known as softs) are the norm. Joining a club/society in your younger years, and ending up in a senior position before you graduate are expected in US universities. Or volunteer work.
Original post by lo24la
I mean grades as in what you received in your AP classes and regular classes. If you have all As, you're doing great already!

For volunteering, try to get as many hours possible! Even if it's at the same place.

For extracurricular activities, sports are great, however, colleges like to see long term commitment. Athletics (which I assume is like physical education in America) wouldn't really count:\ But basketball, netball, and football are all great! Do you do any clubs or have leadership positions in school? Some extracurricular ideas:
-Clubs
-Sports
-Music (choir/band/guitar)
-Theatre
-Honor Societies
-Job
-Student Council
-Leadership position

For privacy reasons, I want to keep which university I'll be attending next year private. I'm currently a senior in high school, so I will be starting university in August:smile: Glad to help in any way!

Ahh, now l understand. I'll let you know my process throughout the way,

Thank you :smile:
Original post by zombiejon
For a UK to US conversion, it is highly likely that A level grades will be treated like AP grades. From when I last checked, some of the curriculum crossed over.

Another factor you have to consider is that most US high schools weigh AP courses on a different scale compared to others. Non-APs usually are on the 1-4 scale, whilst honours/AP courses are may be out of 5.2, or 6. According to UCLA's stats, it's a 3.90 unweighted GPA (all courses count for the same) with a 2100-2260 SAT (with the writing section). I expect the SAT score to be around 1400-1500 next year, due to the removal of the writing section. As and A* on A levels will make you highly competitive.

For UCal, most schools are very competitive to get into for international/out of state students. When I applied, it was Berkeley>LA>Irvine/San Diego>Merced/Riverside in terms of difficulty.

One thing you have to factor in is the cost of living as well. California is one of the most expensive states, and the Bay Area and Los Angeles are also very expensive.

As for extra-curriculars, leadership/senior roles (otherwise known as softs) are the norm. Joining a club/society in your younger years, and ending up in a senior position before you graduate are expected in US universities. Or volunteer work.

What do they class as non-APs?
Reply 34
regular classes
What do they class as non-APs?

When the UC system calculates grades, all courses are assumed to be equal. So A level coursework will be considered the same as GCSE coursework when calculating your final secondary school GPA.

Keep in mind that the GPA is only one part of the puzzle. SAT scores, A-level/IB/AP exam scores, as well as extra-curriculars play a role in the admissions process to North American universities.
When the UC system calculates grades, all courses are assumed to be equal. So A level coursework will be considered the same as GCSE coursework when calculating your final secondary school GPA.

Keep in mind that the GPA is only one part of the puzzle. SAT scores, A-level/IB/AP exam scores, as well as extra-curriculars play a role in the admissions process to North American universities.

I thought they won't calculate GCSE grades only A-levels, SAT/ACT Scores, extra curricular activities?

A level are so much different from GCSEs why must they mark them equal...
Reply 37
so called holistic admission process.
I thought they won't calculate GCSE grades only A-levels, SAT/ACT Scores, extra curricular activities?

A level are so much different from GCSEs why must they mark them equal...

It's not a matter of taking the GCSE as equal. I think it's more of providing a better overall picture of the student. Some schools will look into it, not all.

You have to remember that the average American secondary school student has 6-7 classes every year, including AP classes in there. An example of a typical course load would be AP French, AP Chemistry, AP Calculus, English, PhysEd, and Art for a final year. Some American students apply to university with 5+ AP courses on their transcript.
It's not a matter of taking the GCSE as equal. I think it's more of providing a better overall picture of the student. Some schools will look into it, not all.

You have to remember that the average American secondary school student has 6-7 classes every year, including AP classes in there. An example of a typical course load would be AP French, AP Chemistry, AP Calculus, English, PhysEd, and Art for a final year. Some American students apply to university with 5+ AP courses on their transcript.

Ahh..

l've taken 12 classes at GCSEs and in a-level 3.

Quick Reply

Latest