The Student Room Group

is it weird for a 17 year old to talk to me, a 23 year old, about "his generation"?

My appalling lifestyle means i look ancient rn tbf.

but "his generation"?!

are people 6 years apart really considered "different generations"?
Reply 1
tbf considering the rapid advancement of technology in such a short space of time, he could honestly have some merit in distinguishing between your generations, but the differences shouldn't exactly be plentiful.
Reply 2
Original post by Inexorably
tbf considering the rapid advancement of technology in such a short space of time, he could honestly have some merit in distinguishing between your generations, but the differences shouldn't exactly be plentiful.

yeah that's a fair point
Reply 3
My brother's only 31/2 years younger than me, and it feels like he's from a different generation of people...
The world is moving so quickly it's like a different generation every 3 years.
Original post by Alexion
My brother's only 31/2 years younger than me, and it feels like he's from a different generation of people...

Same here, sister's 4 years younger and she thinks I'm a dinosaur for knowing what a floppy disk is :lol:
Kids are weird today

Spoiler

Na same generation, it's just because we're young and that means small differences in age have a big effect. Once it's like 37-43 or whatever, the difference will be minimal!
Reply 7
Original post by Zargabaath
Same here, sister's 4 years younger and she thinks I'm a dinosaur for knowing what a floppy disk is :lol:
Kids are weird today

Spoiler

:yep:

I'm only 18 and I'm starting to feel like an old man around kids today... was talking to a couple kids in my brother's year and they didn't even know what a VCR was. Like wut :lolwut:
Reply 8
Original post by Alexion

I'm only 18 and I'm starting to feel like an old man around kids today... was talking to a couple kids in my brother's year and they didn't even know what a VCR was. Like wut :lolwut:

what year is your brother in?
Reply 9
not really when i talk to a person whos around 23 it doesnt feel like were from diff generations.
Original post by medleg
what year is your brother in?

Y10 :cute:
Reply 11
Original post by Alexion
Y10 :cute:

wow! that's crazy that he doesn't know what a VCR is 😳
Original post by Alexion

Urghh im 20 this year and i feel like I'm suddenly gonna turn into a grumpy old man, like Squidward.
Original post by medleg
wow! that's crazy that he doesn't know what a VCR is 😳

He does, but I don't understand how his friends don't... like IT'S NOT EVEN ANCIENT TECHNOLOGY ffs

Original post by Zargabaath
Urghh im 20 this year and i feel like I'm suddenly gonna turn into a grumpy old man, like Squidward.

"these damn kids" :shakecane:
Reply 14
Original post by Alexion
He does, but I don't understand how his friends don't... like IT'S NOT EVEN ANCIENT TECHNOLOGY ffs

"these damn kids" :shakecane:

yeah I remember watching videos on VCR when I was little! (I'm 18 too)
Original post by samharrison
My appalling lifestyle means i look ancient rn tbf.

but "his generation"?!

are people 6 years apart really considered "different generations"?

Interesting- see the thing is, those of us born 1997-1998 are neither 90s kids nor Millenials. Many of us grew up at least for some time as '90s' kids in the (i like to call it the post 90s boom after party): many of us have older brothers and sisters who are true 90s kids.
That said, there are those amongst us who dont even know what VHS or cassette is. Guranteed we remember the old style projectors in assembly. I personally didnt have the internet till I was 10.

As i said, we're a bit of a grey area. We're neither one nor the other, and the 90's didnt really end till like 2000-2004 anyway when facebook arrived and windows live messenger shortly before. I think what sets millenials apart is the rapid digitalisation and the fact with pop/internet/viral culture they're riding on the coat tails of what the 90s started, but too young to remember.

Some of 'our'generation want to be like you and wish we were born sooner, others dont even know what we're on about. Anyone born post 2000 can be surely classified a millenial, but the late 90s kids are a weird one. I tend to find a get along a lot better with earlier 90s kids (people in uni atm) than people in my year group. I think alot of it depends on how much '90s culture parents exposed their kids to (in my case loads)- some people in my year have never heard of Pulp Fiction, etc. you get the picture.

Hope my rant has helped to some degree. The 90's saw a transition to a new Milllenium so to me it seems natural that things would be more complex

*EDIT* i said vhs, i think i meant vcr. My parents always called it vhs.i got a ton in ma attic. Ahhh the irony
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by medleg
yeah I remember watching videos on VCR when I was little! (I'm 18 too)

Good times :moon:

I remember the first TV I ever bought cost me £90 and had a little VCR player in the front of it :lol: that little grey cube...

Quick Reply

Latest