The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

if you're comfortable with mechanics, I recommend doing M2. i don't think you should FP2 if you're still getting to grips with C1-C4 and FP1.
Original post by RonnieRJ

Well I just decided to do it, no one stopped me lol. It's not a requirement but I didn't want to drop any of my subjects and I wanted to pick up further maths because I was regretting not doing it, so doing it on my own now.
My offer is still based on 3 A levels but it's very flexible, so I can get the grades in any of the four subjects :smile:

Yeah I am so gutted I didn't do further maths last year, so many people got 100% UMS and i was there thinking to myself "why the heck did I decide not to do it?".

What boards are you doing for sciences? I'm starting to think about paying for the exams now after you. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to revise for my Empas and further maths.

I wish I could be an independent woman who don't need no man (or further maths teachers).
I do three sciences and maths A2 and doing further maths AS on my own this year. Definitely doing FP1 and M1, but I've not really started the third unit and only have about two months left till the exam.
I'm fine with both pure and mechanics but which one is easier to self teach in a short period of time? Kinda need an A lol :|

Not sure what syllabus you're doing, but I'd say if you're good at learning lots of things by rote then go for mechanics. If you prefer to work intuitively then go for further pure. Mechanics will have lots of different types of question which you just have to learn the methods to (especially circular motion and centre of mass stuff, it's such a bore). Further pure will have weird questions where you don't necessarily need to memories methods, but you will need to be able to think on your feet.
Reply 43
OP, have you done D1 or S2? Those are probably the easiest to pick up.
Reply 44
Original post by aymanzayedmannan

OP has done D1 and S1, I don't think she does S2. Taking that is a good idea, good one. :yep:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Student403
No. One can be an insurance module

See I thought about it but I've 17 exams already lmao I dont want to overdo it haha. I'm doing more subjects than in year 12 and I don't want my life for the next few months to only consist of revision 😂

Original post by Oil lamp
Yeah I am so gutted I didn't do further maths last year, so many people got 100% UMS and i was there thinking to myself "why the heck did I decide not to do it?".What boards are you doing for sciences? I'm starting to think about paying for the exams now after you. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to revise for my Empas and further maths.I wish I could be an independent woman who don't need no man (or further maths teachers).
Lmaooo I'm doing AQA for all three sciences. You know there's still time to enter for FM? I mean you'd have to pay late entry fee but it's still alright. I did a quarter of FP1 (complex numbers) in 20 mins when I started!! Pls do it with me yes 🌚
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Not sure what syllabus you're doing, but I'd say if you're good at learning lots of things by rote then go for mechanics. If you prefer to work intuitively then go for further pure. Mechanics will have lots of different types of question which you just have to learn the methods to (especially circular motion and centre of mass stuff, it's such a bore). Further pure will have weird questions where you don't necessarily need to memories methods, but you will need to be able to think on your feet.
I do edexcel, and I don't think edexcel has circular motion? I did it in physics this year so if it's in there it'll be familiar enough to make it easy. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Original post by Zacken
OP has done D1 and S1, I don't think she does S2. Taking that is a good idea, good one.
I did D1 but I can't stand statistics so S2 is basically Satans module haha. I'm much more interested in pure and mechanics :smile:
Original post by Alcohonick
I said highly proficient not decently proficient. You need to be highly proficient to learn FP2 in just two weeks, given that the OP hasn't even touched M2 or FP2, it is too early to say that they are 'highly proficient'.

I was understating. It's a language device
See I thought about it but I've 17 exams already lmao I dont want to overdo it haha. I'm doing more subjects than in year 12 and I don't want my life for the next few months to only consist of revision 😂

Lmaooo I'm doing AQA for all three sciences. You know there's still time to enter for FM? I mean you'd have to pay late entry fee but it's still alright. I did a quarter of FP1 (complex numbers) in 20 mins when I started!! Pls do it with me yes 🌚I do edexcel, and I don't think edexcel has circular motion? I did it in physics this year so if it's in there it'll be familiar enough to make it easy. Thanks for the advice :smile: I did D1 but I can't stand statistics so S2 is basically Satans module haha. I'm much more interested in pure and mechanics :smile:

S2 is not satan's module. M4 chapter 1 is satan's chapter!
S2 is not satan's module. M4 chapter 1 is satan's chapter!

Really not sure why you guys torture yourselves with M3+ and S2+
Original post by zetamcfc
Really not sure why you guys torture yourselves with M3+ and S2+

Ain't torture. It's a lot of fun aside from that one chapter

Also learning is love
X

Lol just saw this thread. Good luck b. I'll be calling you on results day if that motivates you at all. :colone:

Also learning is love

So true. :smile:

Also learning is love

Absolutely, but your obsession with applied modules scares me :hide:

Pure :ssaw: Applied

:laugh:

What if you're equally obsessed with both?

Funnily enough last year (AS) I averaged over 99% in my 4 pure modules (C1, 2 and 3 + FP1) but only avgd 84% in M1/S1
Funnily enough last year (AS) I averaged over 99% in my 4 pure modules (C1, 2 and 3 + FP1) but only avgd 84% in M1/S1

:eek: Really?
:eek: Really?

Yep lol

Disaster in S1 (81) and M1 (87)
Reply 57
I do three sciences and maths A2 and doing further maths AS on my own this year. Definitely doing FP1 and M1, but I've not really started the third unit and only have about two months left till the exam.
I'm fine with both pure and mechanics but which one is easier to self teach in a short period of time? Kinda need an A lol :|

As someone learning both in A2 FM I would recommend M2. FP2 is loooooong in comparison and also more difficult.
I do Edexcel - go for M2, especially if you want to do a Physics based degree, because FP2 is a nightmare, in my opinion XD

M2 can be done in one week.

FP2 can be done in two weeks but it is much more interesting.

Latest