The Student Room Group

Aeronautics at Imperial London

Is it true that at Imperial College London they focus more on the aerodynamics of formula one rather than on aircraft? Also how difficult is it to get an offer at ICL for Aeronautical Engineering? Thanks
p.s. I am currently in year 12 doing Maths/Further Maths/Physics/Business and planned to drop business at the end of the year.

Scroll to see replies

Getting an offer is actually quite easy if you have the grades and a good personal statement. I believe their offer rate is about 30-40%
Original post by alvin99au
Is it true that at Imperial College London they focus more on the aerodynamics of formula one rather than on aircraft? Also how difficult is it to get an offer at ICL for Aeronautical Engineering? Thanks
p.s. I am currently in year 12 doing Maths/Further Maths/Physics/Business and planned to drop business at the end of the year.

At the open day they didn't really mention formula one that much or aircraft but there are many wind tunnels and a lot of the 1st/2nd year projects were based on wings so it could be applied to either if that's what you're interested in
Original post by Student403
Getting an offer is actually quite easy if you have the grades and a good personal statement. I believe their offer rate is about 30-40%

I think that's about the same percentage as they have for their medical school, I'm not sure I'd call that easy considering other respected engineering schools take in people with a couple of grades below their standard requirements.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I think that's about the same percentage as they have for their medical school, I'm not sure I'd call that easy considering other respected engineering schools take in people with a couple of grades below their standard requirements.

Fair enough but I would say if you have the grades of A*A*A, maybe higher by a grade (A*A*A*) you stand a very good chance given the high interview rate -> high interview->offer conversion rate

Also bear in mind Med has other requirements
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Fair enough but I would say if you have the grades of A*A*A, maybe higher by a grade (A*A*A*) you stand a very good chance given the high interview rate -> high interview->offer conversion rate

Also bear in mind Med has other requirements

You make getting triple A* at A-levels sounds so easy

But that's the thing - for most applicants it's the predictions which, as long as you get ~270UMS at AS you should be alright with - not the actual grades

Most offers I've seen this year have been A*A*A, not 3A*s even though many have had >=3A* preds

It isn't, especially with the sciences

But that's the thing - for most applicants it's the predictions which, as long as you get ~270UMS at AS you should be alright with - not the actual grades

Most offers I've seen this year have been A*A*A, not 3A*s even though many have had >=3A* preds

My friend has an offer to do aeronautics at imperial, her condition is A*A*AA as she does 4 A levels (Chemistry, maths, Further Maths and Physics)
Original post by Laurenafenete
It isn't, especially with the sciences

My friend has an offer to do aeronautics at imperial, her condition is A*A*AA as she does 4 A levels (Chemistry, maths, Further Maths and Physics)

Yup. I know someone on here with A*A*A*A

I have an offer of A*A*A for aero

I doubt they will focus on just the aerodynamics of formula cars. Also there's no such thing as aerodynamics of aeroplanes and cars, it's all the same principle, formula cars and aircrafts are just the applications. For example the spoiler on a f1 car is an upside down Aerofoil so it's literally the exact same mathematics and physical principle. Also aerodynamics is like 10% of what makes up aerospace engineering, there are a bunch of areas, electronics, control, materials, structures, etc.

I don't go imperial so can't answer the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Tell that to the multiple people from my school who got rejected from that course applying with 4A's lmao
Original post by Lawliettt
Tell that to the multiple people from my school who got rejected from that course applying with 4A's lmao

4 As is lower than the requirement....
4 As is lower than the requirement....

You can't get A*'s at AS. AAAA were their AS grades
(edited 8 years ago)
You can't get A*'s at AS. AAAA were their AS grades

Requirements shown on the website are for A2 (predictions)
Requirements shown on the website are for A2 (predictions)

Well you can guess that their predictions were high judging from the fact that their actual grades were 4A's. My point I'm saying is getting an offer isn't "easy". Everyone who applies there will have similar grades. Having A*A*A*A predictions or w.e doesn't guarantee you anything when hundreds of other applicants have those predictions too.
Well you can guess that their predictions were high judging from the fact that their actual grades were 4A's. My point I'm saying is getting an offer isn't "easy". Everyone who applies there will have similar grades. Having A*A*A*A predictions or w.e doesn't guarantee you anything when hundreds of other applicants have those predictions too.

Having 4 As doesn't mean you have the predictions to meet the minimum offer

What if you had 4 As with 240/300 UMS and your school refused to predict A*s? That happened to many people at my school

And I never said it guarantees anything. All I said is that you have a high chance
Having 4 As doesn't mean you have the predictions to meet the minimum offer

What if you had 4 As with 240/300 UMS and your school refused to predict A*s? That happened to many people at my school

And I never said it guarantees anything. All I said is that you have a high chance

You specifically said 'easy' which is false. And for the record, my school has a lazy policy of predicting 1 above your actual grade. They don't bother looking at UMS. But if I remember correctly the guys who applied had high UMS marks anyway. The course is very competitive and since virtually everyone applying will have top grades + predicteds, the interview and exam are used to help with the decision. Along with your personal statement of course.
You specifically said 'easy' which is false. And for the record, my school has a lazy policy of predicting 1 above your actual grade. They don't bother looking at UMS. But if I remember correctly the guys who applied had high UMS marks anyway. The course is very competitive and since virtually everyone applying will have top grades + predicteds, the interview and exam are used to help with the decision. Along with your personal statement of course.

I said "and a good personal statement"

That inflation is quite unfortunate, though.

The interview -> offer rates in the past 2 years have been 73% and 81%. That is quite high

Honestly that sounds more like Imperial has had a bad experience with your school or students from your school.

Quick Reply

Latest