The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paigecooney20
Just checked my track- got an offer! Haven't received an email yet though so check your track guys!

Well done - is it one of your favourites?

Hope loads more offers follow for everyone else too.
been rejected from UofM, don't know why? I thought my interview went fine!!!! Actually really sad, what went wrong? If I get 2 more rejections that's only one offer I even have and it has the highest entry requirements :frown: I really felt relaxed and happy on the day and thought I gave informed answers ...what more did they want!?
Feel kind of like stupid for trying.... god knows what Leeds and DMU are going to answer with...
(edited 8 years ago)
How do I ask for feedback by the way, do I have to email their admissions, I don't know the email either? I don't know how they don't forget though :confused::confused:
Original post by Galaxies
been rejected from UofM, don't know why? I thought my interview went fine!!!! Actually really sad, what went wrong? If I get 2 more rejections that's only one offer I even have and it has the highest entry requirements :frown: I really felt relaxed and happy on the day and thought I gave informed answers ...what more did they want!?
Feel kind of like stupid for trying.... god knows what Leeds and DMU are going to answer with...

There are so many different things they look for, and each uni is individual. Its totally normal to only get one or a few offers, even when you feel like things went well. Its soooo competitive, Sorry to here about UoM, but good luck with your other offers, and stay positive!
Some people have been bragging about a tonne of offers in some interviews, and they weren't really the type of people I'd want giving me speech therapy if I had a stroke, due to their aggressiveness so........It kind of also is an unfair advantage if someone had an immediate family member with communication difficulties because they can easily go along to groups and clubs without even filling in a DBS form, and see a therapist in action. It's not like they put in the extra mile like others have.
:nope::nothing: I'm just bitter, I dislike when aggressive people benefit over others. It also irks me how they don't just provide feedback straight away, I've emailed now but that'll probably take a while.

Today someone was trying to jump off a multi-storey carpark I had parked my car in, and the police had closed the whole thing off, kind of feel that man's pain right now, lol.
Original post by AmyPilot
Well done - is it one of your favourites?

Hope loads more offers follow for everyone else too.

Definitely one of my favourites- higher entry requirements though so don't think I'm going to go there:L
I know rejections aren't really spoken about on here, maybe because people don't like talking about it publicly - but I just found this anyway https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rejection_Therapy

There's a tonne of other serious stuff about the benefits of being rejected and how it can be better for you than everything flowing smoothly, even though it definitely doesn't feel that way at all when it happens.
I know I am nowhere near over my fear and bad response to rejection......:bawling::animal: :rambo:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi all,
How did Leeds Beckett applicants find the interview? 😊
Reply 608
They told me at the interview that we were scored at each station out of 12 and then everyone was ranked and there was just a cut off point! Sorry you got rejected but everything happens for a reason, just be grateful you even have an offer!!

I got a rejection from Sheffield without interview. I have six relevant A-Levels with high grades; I'm multilingual; I've worked in a dementia service, in a residential college for young adults with special needs, and directly alongside a speech therapist; and I'm completing a clinically relevant PhD. I wasn't expecting to get offers from everywhere. As others have said, it's competitive, and this means that very few candidates will end up with a full slate of offers. But I was confidently expecting to be invited to interview. The fact that I wasn't invited is not necessarily a bad reflection on me. It just means that they couldn't really see me fitting with the ethos of the course, or that they had other candidates they preferred. This may not sound like much comfort, but remember that every course has its own flavour and approach, and that they look for different things in a candidate. If you already have one offer, this shows that a group of competent practitioners have already assessed you as having the necessary qualities and abilities to become a SLT. That's what matters in the end, not how many offers you had. I know it's a knock to the confidence, but try and focus on the end goal of becoming a therapist rather than worrying about which courses accepted you and which ones didn't. :smile:
Reply 610
Has anyone received an offer from City?
Some people have been bragging about a tonne of offers in some interviews, and they weren't really the type of people I'd want giving me speech therapy if I had a stroke, due to their aggressiveness so........It kind of also is an unfair advantage if someone had an immediate family member with communication difficulties because they can easily go along to groups and clubs without even filling in a DBS form, and see a therapist in action. It's not like they put in the extra mile like others have.
:nope::nothing: I'm just bitter, I dislike when aggressive people benefit over others. It also irks me how they don't just provide feedback straight away, I've emailed now but that'll probably take a while.

Today someone was trying to jump off a multi-storey carpark I had parked my car in, and the police had closed the whole thing off, kind of feel that man's pain right now, lol.

What do you mean by 'aggressiveness'?
Definitely one of my favourites- higher entry requirements though so don't think I'm going to go there:L

Well congrats on the offer whichever uni you choose. Do you have other offers?

Is it still AAB at Manchester? I was able to use Manchester as my insurance choice when I applied as I got a reduced offer of BBB as I did a programme at the uni during year 12 (MAP).

I remember the panic over getting the grades but sure you will do fine.
Original post by AmyPilot
Well congrats on the offer whichever uni you choose. Do you have other offers?

Is it still AAB at Manchester? I was able to use Manchester as my insurance choice when I applied as I got a reduced offer of BBB as I did a programme at the uni during year 12 (MAP).

I remember the panic over getting the grades but sure you will do fine.

Yeah I have an offer for DMU and have had interviews for Leeds Beckett, City and Birmingham City... Still waiting other from then though.

UOM is AAB and I'm predicted ABB which to be honest is going to be a struggle to get itself as I only got ABC at AS... I'm surprised I even got an interview at UOM let alone an offer! Just got to knuckle down haha
Reply 614
Has anyone had offers from MMU?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done and congratulations to those who received offers and I hope that for those who didn't, you are still able to pursue a path that suits you, albeit a different one to that you'd imagined. If you got far enough in to receive an interview you have lots going for you, so don't give up!

I've received an offer, absolutely delighted, it's my insurance choice - hoping that I'm made an offer from Liverpool to read medicine which will be my firm. If I'm not cut out for medicine then SLT is no 'second best', it's a got every bit of potential to be a great career.

My offer is to pass my Access course (I already have AAA at A-Level so thought I would get an unconditional, apparently not - think they want to make me sweat!)
Original post by opalescent
I got a rejection from Sheffield without interview. I have six relevant A-Levels with high grades; I'm multilingual; I've worked in a dementia service, in a residential college for young adults with special needs, and directly alongside a speech therapist; and I'm completing a clinically relevant PhD. I wasn't expecting to get offers from everywhere. As others have said, it's competitive, and this means that very few candidates will end up with a full slate of offers. But I was confidently expecting to be invited to interview. The fact that I wasn't invited is not necessarily a bad reflection on me. It just means that they couldn't really see me fitting with the ethos of the course, or that they had other candidates they preferred. This may not sound like much comfort, but remember that every course has its own flavour and approach, and that they look for different things in a candidate. If you already have one offer, this shows that a group of competent practitioners have already assessed you as having the necessary qualities and abilities to become a SLT. That's what matters in the end, not how many offers you had. I know it's a knock to the confidence, but try and focus on the end goal of becoming a therapist rather than worrying about which courses accepted you and which ones didn't. :smile:

Why didn't you apply for a Masters?
Yeah I have an offer for DMU and have had interviews for Leeds Beckett, City and Birmingham City... Still waiting other from then though.

UOM is AAB and I'm predicted ABB which to be honest is going to be a struggle to get itself as I only got ABC at AS... I'm surprised I even got an interview at UOM let alone an offer! Just got to knuckle down haha

Well good luck for the exams - sure you will be fine (though I do remember how awful year 13 is what with applications/interviews/studying/exams - and then the dreaded waiting for results day!!). If all goes well nothing beats that feeling on results day of seeing your offer go unconditional on Track :biggrin:

Good luck with the rest of your application - hope you get the offers you want. I only applied to Leeds and Manchester out of your options, Sheffield and MMU (where I applied for 2 courses straight SLT and joint honours psychology and SLT which unfortunately MMU don't run anymore) were my other choices.
Original post by CassiaPeach
Why didn't you apply for a Masters?

The application deadlines for all the MScs except Essex had passed when I decided that I would apply for 2016 entry rather than 2017. (I brought my application forward by a year after the publication of the Autumn Paper.) I have applied to Essex, but I'm not sure I would take the MSc place if offered it - I live in the north, I have an interesting job here that I could keep if I dropped down to part-time hours, and qualifying more quickly may not be worth the upheaval of moving. I'll see how the application goes and what I think of Essex if I get an interview.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hiya

My gf (not on tsr) had an interview at uni of Manc but still hasn't heard (on track or by email), has anyone else not heard yet?? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest