The Student Room Group

Goldsmiths fine art students

I was wondering if anyone studying fine art at goldsmiths could help me out? Ive applied because I love the self directed nature of the course, the studio space, the political scene etc, but ive started to worry that everyone there might be cliquey, really wacky or fashionable or aggressive, and though my work can be controversial, im a pretty shy and sensitive person and im starting to fear im not cool/ confident/ pretty/ fashionable enough and i wont fit in. (as you can tell im stupidly overanalytical ) whats the atmosphere like?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Starrydynamo
I was wondering if anyone studying fine art at goldsmiths could help me out? Ive applied because I love the self directed nature of the course, the studio space, the political scene etc, but ive started to worry that everyone there might be cliquey, really wacky or fashionable or aggressive, and though my work can be controversial, im a pretty shy and sensitive person and im starting to fear im not cool/ confident/ pretty/ fashionable enough and i wont fit in. (as you can tell im stupidly overanalytical ) whats the atmosphere like?

Hiya!

I'm currently a second year Fine Art student at Goldsmiths and I had the exact same worries as you before I came! But that's not the case at all.
Sure there are some really wacky, fashionable people knocking about, but I'd say most people are quite shy or, dare I say, normal (at least as far as anyone can be considered normal, which is not at all really).
Also, something that's really great about it being such a big course is that you're bound to find people you connect with, and with the studio spaces as a perfect place to meet people it happens pretty fast.
In terms of the atmosphere right now, I'd say it's really welcoming and accepting. You can wear bright dungarees and dye your eyebrows blue, or you can wear jumpers and no make up at all. Everyone's happy for you to be you.
Things were a bit more tense last year, as there were some quite aggressive people, but it's not like that this year and I don't think it will be next year either.

Hope this makes you feel better about things. I know how nerve-wracking applying to university can be. :smile:
Original post by HelveticaBold
Hiya!

I'm currently a second year Fine Art student at Goldsmiths and I had the exact same worries as you before I came! But that's not the case at all.
Sure there are some really wacky, fashionable people knocking about, but I'd say most people are quite shy or, dare I say, normal (at least as far as anyone can be considered normal, which is not at all really).
Also, something that's really great about it being such a big course is that you're bound to find people you connect with, and with the studio spaces as a perfect place to meet people it happens pretty fast.
In terms of the atmosphere right now, I'd say it's really welcoming and accepting. You can wear bright dungarees and dye your eyebrows blue, or you can wear jumpers and no make up at all. Everyone's happy for you to be you.
Things were a bit more tense last year, as there were some quite aggressive people, but it's not like that this year and I don't think it will be next year either.

Hope this makes you feel better about things. I know how nerve-wracking applying to university can be. :smile:

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! (and in so much detail). This is all immensely helpful. I really loved the sound of the course ans the feel of the place when I looked round, and obviously it does depend on the cohort, but atmosphere really effects my work so im relieved to hear its generally pretty laid back. Thanks again, Im glad youre enjoying your course!

Hi, I've applied too and I've uploaded my portfolio - still heard nothing about an interview - I've offers from all my other choices and I really want to start making decisions. Have you had an interview yet?
Original post by bellamilly
Hi, I've applied too and I've uploaded my portfolio - still heard nothing about an interview - I've offers from all my other choices and I really want to start making decisions. Have you had an interview yet?

Hey, nice to meet another applicant! I haven't heard yet, i think last year people were getting replies in the first and even second week of march so maybe we'll hear this week. Can't stop checking ucas or my email at the moment.
Reply 5
got an interview ! So happy
Me too! Well done!
I've just got an interview invitation and i'm so nervous! Does anyone know whether there are any specific questions asked? And if it's preferable to write an essay separate to the one submitted previously, or does it make absolutely no difference? Any help would be much appreciated!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by stressedclaud
I've just got an interview invitation and i'm so nervous! Does anyone know whether there are any specific questions asked? And if its preferable to write another essay to the one submitted previously, or does or make absolutely no difference? Any help would be much appreciated!!

I know you can bring the same essay. They say the people interviewing you probably wont be the people who saw your work when you submitted it! I know they ask everyone 'why goldsmiths?' and theyre very confrontational. Theyll criticise and attack your work, but theyre playing devils advocate and suggesting ways in which an audience or member of the public might critique you.
I know you can bring the same essay. They say the people interviewing you probably wont be the people who saw your work when you submitted it! I know they ask everyone 'why goldsmiths?' and theyre very confrontational. Theyll criticise and attack your work, but theyre playing devils advocate and suggesting ways in which an audience or member of the public might critique you.

Thank you! I saw they said you could bring the same essay, but the way the sentence was structured i.e. "it is acceptable to bring the essay you submitted(..) or you may select a more recent piece" sounds almost negative towards taking the same essay. I thought it might show you're committed by writing another but I can't tell if i'm reading too deep..
I got an interview too! I'm really nervous becuase I've heard they're mean in the interviews:s-smilie:
Hi,

Just thought I'd mention that in my interview (2 years ago now) the essay totally didn't matter. They just flicked through it and made some throwaway comment about how 'we just need to make sure you're literate'. XD
It really depends on who your interviewers are thought, as the interview can vary quite a lot. Some are very confrontational, but other aren't, some are almost completely silent until the last few minutes. They all have their own technique.
Things aren't as brutal on the course as you might expect, but they'll definitely want to test if you'll cope with the self-directed nature of the course and that you can lead a discussion about you're work.
Hope that's helpful. :smile:
Hey, I applied for Design and got an interview via Skype. I sent them a link to my portfolio. Does anyone know more about the process?:smile:
Hi everyone, i had my interview yesterday and though ive read some horror stories it was fine! They were as i expected quite cold and hard to read and asked some deep questions, but nothing delibetarely cruel or irrelevant. I think all you can do is stay passionate about your work and try and field every question well, try and sound positive and enthusiastic. I think its natural to feel that you cant tell how it went or what they really thought because theyre very closed. I guess they try to seem intimidating, but just stay warm and friendly.

Quick Reply

Latest