The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by High Stakes
Lol just saw this thread. Good luck b. I'll be calling you on results day if that motivates you at all. :colone:

Thank you ahaha you can call to find out I got 6 Es :biggrin:
Original post by Asurat
As someone learning both in A2 FM I would recommend M2. FP2 is loooooong in comparison and also more difficult.

Original post by PhysicsIP2016
I do Edexcel - go for M2, especially if you want to do a Physics based degree, because FP2 is a nightmare, in my opinion XD

Thank yo guys, a lot of people seem to hate FP2 😂
Reply 61
Original post by Louisb19
M2 can be done in one week.

FP2 can be done in two weeks but it is much more interesting.

I mean I'll be interested in both as equally. It's just the time constraints :/
Original post by RonnieRJ

Are you doing the empas or isas?
Thank you ahaha you can call to find out I got 6 Es :biggrin:

Thank yo guys, a lot of people seem to hate FP2 😂

Fp2 is a module you will appreciate a lot if you can appreciate beautiful pure maths!

Studying centre of mass is not my idea of interesting but ok.
Reply 65
Original post by Oil lamp
Are you doing the empas or isas?

I did EMPA last year but moved schools so now doing ISAs
I don't like ISA lol ew
Original post by Student403
Fp2 is a module you will appreciate a lot if you can appreciate beautiful pure maths!

Pure is my fav

But I'd rather just be able to get high marks and then properly enjoy the pure at uni :wink:
Reply 66
Original post by Louisb19
Studying centre of mass is not my idea of interesting but ok.

Most of my modules at uni will be physics rather than maths that's why really :h:

:borat:
I did EMPA last year but moved schools so now doing ISAs
I don't like ISA lol ew

Pure is my fav

But I'd rather just be able to get high marks and then properly enjoy the pure at uni :wink:

Fair point - what's your UCL offer? You firmed right?
Reply 69
Most of my modules at uni will be physics rather than maths that's why really :h:

Differential equations is probably more important than something like centres of mass for physics, or maybe I'm just biased towards FP2 :tongue:

Then I would recommend you do M2. That way you'll be at more of an advantage.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Differential equations is probably more important than something like centres of mass for physics, or maybe I'm just biased towards FP2 :tongue:

Differential Equations are absolute key dude. For M4/M5 you can't do them without FP2
Reply 72
Fair point - what's your UCL offer? You firmed right?

Yeah firmed now, A*AA although they said they'll take me with AAA. But I can't imagine missing the A* in maths lol?? If all goes well I'll exceed the offer pls :wink:

That's true but who says I can't have a look over FP2 during summer holidays as a bit of prep? :biggrin:
I do edexcel, and I don't think edexcel has circular motion? I did it in physics this year so if it's in there it'll be familiar enough to make it easy. Thanks for the advice :smile:

Just checked the syllabuses for FP2 and M2. M2 you would literally only have to learn centre of mass, the rest of it you will have covered in physics/M1. FP2 is way more interesting and depending on what you wanna do at uni (thinking physics, maths or engineering especially) a lot of the stuff on there would be useful to know; on the other hand, some of the De Moivre's stuff takes a little time to get your head around (It took me a fair while trying to get to grips with some of the trig questions). If time is your main concern, defo go for M2 cause you could do a paper after about 20 minutes study.
Yeah firmed now, A*AA although they said they'll take me with AAA. But I can't imagine missing the A* in maths lol?? If all goes well I'll exceed the offer pls :wink:

That's true but who says I can't have a look over FP2 during summer holidays as a bit of prep? :biggrin:

Yeah lol agreed

M3 is circular motion btw
Reply 75
Differential Equations are absolute key dude. For M4/M5 you can't do them without FP2

Vectors too! I'm so glad I covered C4 vectors before M2. Helped me tons.

Fair point! M2 can be heaps fun too if you can do COM and moments.
Reply 76
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Just checked the syllabuses for FP2 and M2. M2 you would literally only have to learn centre of mass, the rest of it you will have covered in physics/M1. FP2 is way more interesting and depending on what you wanna do at uni (thinking physics, maths or engineering especially) a lot of the stuff on there would be useful to know; on the other hand, some of the De Moivre's stuff takes a little time to get your head around (It took me a fair while trying to get to grips with some of the trig questions). If time is your main concern, defo go for M2 cause you could do a paper after about 20 minutes study.

Yeah I'm literally just worried about the time it makes me panic a bit :| but thank you for checking that for me, I'll be doing physical Nat Sci at uni so do you think it'll be a good idea to just do M2 for the exam but have a good look through FP2 over summer?
Yeah lol agreed

M3 is circular motion btw

Yeah in edexcel it is, they have cm in m2 in AQA. I'm the only one doing edexcel in my school so I've got the AQA m2 book at the moment but will get the proper one soon :wink:

:yep:
Reply 78

I really liked Moments in physics when I did them 🌚
Weird to think I was scared of mechanics last year lol
I really liked Moments in physics when I did them 🌚
Weird to think I was scared of mechanics last year lol

Same I f***ed up M1 but somehow I'm enjoying M4 this year and I hope to study M5

Shows AS doesn't predict your future

Latest