The Student Room Group

Biology revision tips

Hi
I'm doing biology A level with the OCR 2015 new specification.
The problem I'm having is revising for biology. I find biology extremely difficult to revise for and am currently getting an U/E grade. I try to do 2/3 hours of biology a week it's just nothing seems to be going in. I find biology very hard to revise for because I have a poor memory and stress out and panic.
Please help and give me some advice.
Thank you in advance I really want to do well in biology.
Reply 1
Original post by millie1011
Hi
The problem I'm having is revising for biology. I find biology extremely difficult to revise for and am currently getting an U/E grade. I try to do 2/3 hours of biology a week it's just nothing seems to be going in. I find biology very hard to revise for because I have a poor memory and stress out and panic.

I can't exactly help you as I'm in a similar situation. I am also taking OCR Biology, the new spec, and I'm finding it hard to get anything higher than a C. Yet there are certain persons in my class who always achieve 98% for every MAP (a monthly assessment paper we have at my college)

I spoke to my teacher about it this week and she gave me these A3 sheets and revision booklets to fill out. The idea is to try and fill them out by memory before every revision session, so the revision session itself can be spent focusing on the parts you struggle on.

Also, the minimum you need to be revising is 5 hours per subject per week. And if you struggle, perhaps a few additional hours.
Original post by Learner4
I can't exactly help you as I'm in a similar situation. I am also taking OCR Biology, the new spec, and I'm finding it hard to get anything higher than a C. Yet there are certain persons in my class who always achieve 98% for every MAP (a monthly assessment paper we have at my college)

I spoke to my teacher about it this week and she gave me these A3 sheets and revision booklets to fill out. The idea is to try and fill them out by memory before every revision session, so the revision session itself can be spent focusing on the parts you struggle on.

Also, the minimum you need to be revising is 5 hours per subject per week. And if you struggle, perhaps a few additional hours.

Okay thank you!
I'll try and find some of these A3 sheets.
I'm getting worried that i won't have enough time to improve these grades now
Reply 3
Okay thank you!
I'll try and find some of these A3 sheets.
I'm getting worried that i won't have enough time to improve these grades now

I'll try and attach them to my next reply, if I'm allowed. Or maybe I'll have to spam the thread...
Is the OCR syllabus similar to Edexcel AS level Biology (Salters Nuffield)?
Reply 5
Here are the first few...
Reply 6
...and the next. The microscopy one isn't uploading for some reason.
Reply 7
Original post by Philip-flop

Apparently OCR has a little more content than AQA, but I'm not sure about Edexcel
...and the next. The microscopy one isn't uploading for some reason.

Thank you so much!!
Original post by Philip-flop

I think all the boards are very similar :smile:
Thank you so much!!

No problem! I hope they work exceedingly well for both of us, and anyone else who decides to use them.
Hi

I'm also studying the same course and having the same problem. In every mock I get D's or C's, and to do what I want to at uni I really need an A or possibly a B... I try to be proactive in making notes and revision cards, at the moment I've stuck things on the wall about the features of Eukaryotic cells! But it doesn't seem to make a massive difference.

I think that this subject and in particular this course just requires you to remember a hell of a lot of stuff! Its just a case of lots of revision... I don't really know how I can I can advise anything else - thats what I'm hoping will work!

These are fantastic - should make a massive difference! Thank you :smile:

Thanks a lot for these revision sheets!
How's the AS level Biology revision going everyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending