The Student Room Group

Is further maths of any real importance?

So I was wondering whether further maths at A level is really going to affect whether you will get into the more prestigious universities like Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

For what subject?
For a maths/physics/engineering/comp science/economics degree, yes I think so
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
For what subject?

I'm not quite sure what I want to study at university but I was thinking either something medical related or mathematical
Reply 4
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
For a maths/physics/engineering/comp science/economics degree, yes I think so

So does that mean that even if i perform well in all my subjects I wouldn't get in?
Original post by m.dani
So does that mean that even if i perform well in all my subjects I wouldn't get in?

No, but taking further maths would help in your application. Though I think it is near compulsory for oxbridge maths..?
Original post by m.dani

No, but depending on the subject you apply for it could put you at a disadvantage when applying and if you get in, not having further maths will make your life more difficult for most sciences (certainly at Oxbridge where the science courses tend to be maths-heavy).
(edited 8 years ago)
Maths itself is of no importance for medical degrees, let alone further maths.
Original post by AliRizzo

Hmmm not sure about that..
Reply 9
No, but taking further maths would help in your application. Though I think it is near compulsory for oxbridge maths..?

It is up to AS at Cambridge and up to A2 at Imperial and Warwick. Oxford still allows non FM students to get in, but they must be negligible these days.

Most good universities will expect FM for Maths, and a lot will also expect it for Engineering, Physics and Computing. Cambridge Economics strongly advises FM (and some colleges may even require it).

Conversely, Medical schools treat M+FM as a single subject, so don't value it particularly
Hmmm not sure about that..

OK, well I am sure and I'm telling the OP. Don't reply with wrong statements which may affect OP's decision unless you have evidence.
Original post by m.dani
So I was wondering whether further maths at A level is really going to affect whether you will get into the more prestigious universities like Oxford?

For anything Mathematical at Uni, definitely.

For Medicine, Unis don't see Maths and Further Maths as separate A Levels, so it's kinda useless. I'm no longer taking Further Maths because of this, as I find it to be a waste of time, when I can focus on my other subjects, like Chemistry and Biology, which are actually required. :woo:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by m.dani

It completely depends on the subject. It is pretty much vital for maths, physics, engineering, computer science. They can't make it a formal requirement, since not all schools offer it, but informally it is. For other subjects it is not really relevant.
Original post by AliRizzo

True that maths is not as important, but the best universities would give the person who has also done maths/further maths along with the three sciences rather than the one that hasn't. Ofcourse its not the end of the world if you haven't done maths a level, it just gives you an advantage if you do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dizgurl
True that maths is not as important, but most universities would give the person who has also done maths/further maths along with the three sciences rather than the one that hasn't. Ofcourse its not the end of the world if you haven't done maths a level, it just gives you an advantage if you do.

No they don't this is very misleading. For medicine, universities merely check you have chemistry (and in some biology) and ignore your 3rd choice subject; requiring you only to get an A in it. Unless it is specified in the admissions criteria, people who take maths at A-level have no advantage.
Reply 15
I think what I am trying to say is if say for instance someone was to have chosen all the exact same A levels as me but had also taken further maths and I came out with higher grades in all my subjects and he came out with grades slightly lower than mine but also had further maths who is more likely to get in?
Original post by alibevan
No they don't this is very misleading. For medicine, universities merely check you have chemistry (and in some biology) and ignore your 3rd choice subject; requiring you only to get an A in it. Unless it is specified in the admissions criteria, people who take maths at A-level have no advantage.

I've only said this from experiences from people who have either been offered or not...but I never said that you need to take maths a level and there are universities that look for maths as well. Sorry if I'm wrong though?
Original post by m.dani
I'm not quite sure what I want to study at university but I was thinking either something medical related or mathematical

I'm not so sure what effect it has on medicine degrees, but for a mathematical degree, take an estimated guess :P
Original post by m.dani

Completely pointless if you aren't going for maths, engineering or physics
Most uni's don't accept boths maths and further maths A level as separate, so unless you want 6 extra exams for fun, there is no advantage.
I do know that maths is important for pharmacy as a very close relative is studying pharmacy atm. I agree with maths not being essential for medicine let alone further maths, because I don't think that any of it actually applies to medicine. It's not really like you are going to use trig laws to save a life.

Quick Reply

Latest