The Student Room Group

Just had my second driving test - Failed, here's why.

Today I was ready for my test, last time I failed purely on luck. My instructor even said that my driving is near perfect, you CAN drive, luck just hasn't been on your side and he's right. What do you think of this fail, do you think it was reasonable? So today we were 5 mins into the test doing the independent driving part, he gave me the instructions, I repeated them to myself. I had got to the end of the road and was going to start going straight ahead because I GENUINELY thought I had completed all of the turns. As I was going straight ahead, just about to pass my last turn which by the way, had a giant lorry chilling in the middle so even if I was to have turned it would have been dangerous because I couldn't see anything, any cars coming from that road or stuff like that and he was blocking the entire road. Anyways as I was about to pass the last turn he slammed down on the brake and I thought what the actual F*ck? And he said to me in a way I found unprofessional and not helpful "What are you doing, you are supposed to turn here!" At that point I thought **** but was it really necessary that he had to slam the breaks JUST because I was going to miss my turn? I thought that if you go off route they tell you so and that they'll redirect you... Can I have some opinions please, do you think this was a fair fail? Because of this I'm really gutted as my mum has forked out 80 x 2 and 62 x 2 worth for my test :frown: And my instructor said there's nothing more he can do for me as there's nothing wrong with my driving. BTW, I only got 4 minors and the 1 serious...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can't comment on the test procedure as it isn't quite the same as when I took it, but that does seem unprofessional and unnecessary.
i dont think it was necessary for him to slam on the breaks like that, as you said, if you take the wrong or something they will redirect you.

it's just unlucky.

book another test, look for cancellations so you can book one nearer.
He should have let you continue.

I'm sure as you know, stopping suddenly is a great way to have someone run into the back of you.

For the most part the driving test is an exercise in bureaucracy. It proves you can drive at a very, very basic level. Some people get through and still can't drive, you'll find that out later too.

Just chalk it down to experiance and learn what you can.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mrpopodopalaus
Today I was ready for my test, last time I failed purely on luck. My instructor even said that my driving is near perfect, you CAN drive, luck just hasn't been on your side and he's right. What do you think of this fail, do you think it was reasonable? So today we were 5 mins into the test doing the independent driving part, he gave me the instructions, I repeated them to myself. I had got to the end of the road and was going to start going straight ahead because I GENUINELY thought I had completed all of the turns. As I was going straight ahead, just about to pass my last turn which by the way, had a giant lorry chilling in the middle so even if I was to have turned it would have been dangerous because I couldn't see anything, any cars coming from that road or stuff like that and he was blocking the entire road. Anyways as I was about to pass the last turn he slammed down on the brake and I thought what the actual F*ck? And he said to me in a way I found unprofessional and not helpful "What are you doing, you are supposed to turn here!" At that point I thought **** but was it really necessary that he had to slam the breaks JUST because I was going to miss my turn? I thought that if you go off route they tell you so and that they'll redirect you... Can I have some opinions please, do you think this was a fair fail? Because of this I'm really gutted as my mum has forked out 80 x 2 and 62 x 2 worth for my test :frown: And my instructor said there's nothing more he can do for me as there's nothing wrong with my driving. BTW, I only got 4 minors and the 1 serious...

What did you get the serious fault for? Is there a Streetview map of the corner you were stopped on?

Normally examiners aren't supposed to touch dual controls during a test unless there's a genuine safety concern, so it seems incredibly strange that something like this would've happened in the situation you've described. If you were about to go down a no-entry or private road or something then maybe it could've been justified, otherwise I don't see why the examiner felt it necessary to intervene.
Sounds like continuing straight on was dangerous or illegal.
Original post by Pegasus2
He should have let you continue.

I'm sure as you know, stopping suddenly is a great way to have someone run into the back of you.

For the most part the driving test is an exercise in bureaucracy. It proves you can drive at a very, very basic level. Some people get through and still can't drive, you'll find that out later too.

Just chalk it down to experiance and learn what you can.

Exactly! I was thinking that, someone could have been close behind him and him doing that could have been an accident. But yeah this time I'm not too cut up about it just expensive, going to retry on another day since I've had him twice and I'm convinced he's out to get me. He failed me on something stupid last month...
Original post by Dez
What did you get the serious fault for? Is there a Streetview map of the corner you were stopped on?

Normally examiners aren't supposed to touch dual controls during a test unless there's a genuine safety concern, so it seems incredibly strange that something like this would've happened in the situation you've described. If you were about to go down a no-entry or private road or something then maybe it could've been justified, otherwise I don't see why the examiner felt it necessary to intervene.

Trust me, going straight ahead would have made for the better option even if I missed my turn because there was a giant lorry taking up the middle and right side of the road so my view was very obscured. I would have been taking a chance turning right to be completely honest. All I tried to do was carry on straight and he stopped me, told me off that I was going off track. The road I was continuing on was a normal road :/ that was my serious. Approaching too fast on a junction.
If the facts are 100% as stated then the examiner did not do the same as most of the examiners I've met would have done.

I was sat in the back of the car during a test and the candidate was following road signs for a location. He missed the small fingerpost sign, that the examiner had mentioned would be there opposite the junction, so the examiner intervened and said something like "it's the next left". He took the junction a little on the fast side but stayed on our side of the road. No fault recorded at all.

Another test and candidate was following signs but didn't get into the right hand lane of the dual carriageway in time so missed the first turning to the location. No problem, examiner was then quite insistent that he makes the second turning, which he did. A driving fault was recorded for awareness/planning or response to other road users (I forget which off top of my head) but other than that, the examiner re-planned what he wanted to do in the area and off we went.

Both of the above during the independent drive section, so if your examiner behaved they way you say and for no good reason then you would have grounds for a complaint / appeal as they should not be slamming the brake on just because you've missed a turn.
If it was just down to going the wrong way you should not have failed assuming you did it safely. I recently passed my test on the independent drive I went the wrong way he just had me pull over and gave me new instructions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The instructor should not of done that..... My driving instructor said if you miss a turn or do anything wrong as long as you do it in a safe way then it's fine!!

I passed on my 3rd attempt but I went wrong a few times on my interdependent drive.

Maybe complain? See the head examiner.
Original post by EvilShubunkin
If the facts are 100% as stated then the examiner did not do the same as most of the examiners I've met would have done.

Both of the above during the independent drive section, so if your examiner behaved they way you say and for no good reason then you would have grounds for a complaint / appeal as they should not be slamming the brake on just because you've missed a turn.

I am really frustrated as because he did that I knew the minute he touched the pedals it's over, so it threw me off the rest of the test. My mum said never mind, we'll keep trying and I don't think complaining will be worth it. I'll just book on another day and hope I won't have him again because I've had him twice on Fridays and he really puts me off. Thanks for your response
Original post by Goodluck2u
If it was just down to going the wrong way you should not have failed assuming you did it safely. I recently passed my test on the independent drive I went the wrong way he just had me pull over and gave me new instructions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right?! I was going for straight ahead and it completely went out of my head I had to turn right again, there was no hazard, nothing just a stretch of road. He them stomped on the breaks and said you're going the wrong way...
Was the signalling and positioned to go the wrong way though? If you were it should have been fine! I missed my route soo many times during my independent route and it Was fine as they should be examining how safely you drive not whether you can remember instructions or not!
I'd say appeal just so he doesn't do that to others on their test.
Original post by tcameron
Was the signalling and positioned to go the wrong way though? If you were it should have been fine! I missed my route soo many times during my independent route and it Was fine as they should be examining how safely you drive not whether you can remember instructions or not!
I'd say appeal just so he doesn't do that to others on their test.

No I didn't signal or anything because my intention was to go straight ahead. How does the appeal process actually work, if I need to pay anything I probably won't as I've heard sometimes no change comes out of it.
See, this sounds very unusual… I have been told countless times by my instructor that taking a wrong turn accidentally is completely fine and providing you don't make any faults in your driving as you do this, your examiner will simply redirect you and that'd be the end of it. What was the serious for, by the way? Sorry you failed :frown:
beats what happened during my 2nd and 3rd attempts.
2nd I failed because I ran over a fox on independent driving (came out of nowhere on a dark country road)
3rd attempt my handbrake and clutch pedal came off

(moral of the story: do not take driving lessons with private instructors who are indian relatives: they just want to rip you off lol)
Original post by quasa
beats what happened during my 2nd and 3rd attempts.
2nd I failed because I ran over a fox on independent driving (came out of nowhere on a dark country road)
3rd attempt my handbrake and clutch pedal came off

(moral of the story: do not take driving lessons with private instructors who are indian relatives: they just want to rip you off lol)

Hahah oh mate, poor fox, made my day though. As long as you passed it never happened :wink:
Original post by iEthan
See, this sounds very unusual… I have been told countless times by my instructor that taking a wrong turn accidentally is completely fine and providing you don't make any faults in your driving as you do this, your examiner will simply redirect you and that'd be the end of it. What was the serious for, by the way? Sorry you failed :frown:

Serious was according to the sheet pedestrian crossing, see when HE braked, the car stopped over a pedestrian crossing before he made turn right... Yep. Sucks
Original post by mrpopodopalaus
Hahah oh mate, poor fox, made my day though. As long as you passed it never happened :wink:

4th attempt dude!!! but the guy who failed me for my first attempt was also the guy who failed my 3rd attempt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending