The Student Room Group

Should students HAVE to pay back university loans?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arsenal96
Actually the welfare system has been reformed many times over since the 50s. Try again.

My point on population growth was to do with standards of living. On the topic of university that is attributed to there once being 5% of school leavers attending uni compared to 50+%

Yes and as many of those changes are to take things away from welfare as they are to add to them....

In regards to number I agree too many ******** degrees but that is a separate issue.

They could have simply stopped funding low job sector demand degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mangala
that's exactly my point you ****ing window licker, make it free

Oh and who is supposed to pay the university? Or do you want the tax payers to pay for that aswell? Not sure how you can call someone a window licker when your idea is that of one itself.
Original post by Jammy Duel
The point is that somebody has to pay and "free" education is just code for "I think somebody else should pay"

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll say that graduates should get a tax break then as they earn on average more than none graduates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRFT8
Oh and who is supposed to pay the university? Or do you want the tax payers to pay for that aswell? Not sure how you can call someone a window licker when your idea is that of one itself.

you do realise that university used to be free a few years ago, right?
Original post by sevchenko
Once again no need to get Butthurt.

Considering the economic policies of the current government making higher education completely free would be "impractical, unworkable and downright silly"

the economic policies of this government can be summed up as "**** the poor". of course they would say free university is a bad thing
Original post by mangala
you do realise that university used to be free a few years ago, right?

You mean nearly two decades ago when it was pretty much only the elite allowed to go who were generally wealthy to begin with
Original post by mangala
not at all. i can only afford to go to uni if i get the £2k sholarship for getting AAB or above because they have cut the low income grant.

Bullocks, the grant being there makes no difference. In fact, you get MORE now all-in from student finance than you would before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You mean nearly two decades ago when it was pretty much only the elite allowed to go who were generally wealthy to begin with

pretty sure that isnt what im proposing buddy mate
Part of the definition of a 'loan' is that it has to be paid back. I don't see why this is a question.
Original post by Princepieman
Bullocks, the grant being there makes no difference. In fact, you get MORE now all-in from student finance than you would before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you sound like david cameron mate. "after these tax credit cuts, people will actually be £2,000 better off" as if that makes any sense.
Original post by mangala
it has only recently NOT become free you idiot. it worked fine when it was free

No it didn't. Student numbers have significantly increased.

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 16.22.05.jpg
Original post by mangala
pretty sure that isnt what im proposing buddy mate

So when was this time very recently where nearly half a million per year were entering university funded entirely by the state exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

loool because lower rated universities were not properly funded
Original post by mangala
loool because lower rated universities were not properly funded

No, because the government had capped student numbers because they had limited funding. The numbers surged at the turn of the decade because fees meant they could afford more students so had a higher cap, and are going up again because increased fees means they can have no cap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, because the government had capped student numbers because they had limited funding. The numbers surged at the turn of the decade because fees meant they could afford more students so had a higher cap, and are going up again because increased fees means they can have no cap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i said they were not properly funded, you disagreed and said it was because they had limited funding. ok buddy
@mangala you still haven't provided any long-term trend data that shows declining participation amongst the poorest students. Because it doesn't exist.
Original post by jneill

But mature and part-time student numbers have dropped significantly. Somehow they always get left out of these debates.
Original post by mangala
i said they were not properly funded, you disagreed and said it was because they had limited funding. ok buddy

There is a difference between the Department of Education funding and the funding of the universities, you however seem to think they are the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is a difference between the Department of Education funding and the funding of the universities, you however seem to think they are the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

good comeback mate proved me wrong
Original post by mangala
of course no long term data exists when expensive university has only recently come in to existence you idiot

It's not expensive. It's free unless you earn >£21k you idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending