The Student Room Group

Is feminism good or bad for the first world? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

The only bad thing about feminism is the reaction it gets from people with a victim complex who dislike that women and men are getting closer to being equal and have managed to discredit feminism in the minds of many reasonable people. People seem to think that feminism is hurting them because it is not actively trying to help them much like the people who respond to #blacklivesmatter with #alllivesmatter. I suppose also this is because much media coverage of feminists only show them when they're rich and taking their clothes off for attention which can't be helping the cause much. (Ps feminism is not just for first world countries eg the struggles of Malala yousafzai)
Reply 21
Is a movement based claiming victimhood what says kill all white men while trying to eliminate free speech good?

No, feminism once meant equality now it has evolved and means nothing of the sort
Original post by joecphillips
Is a movement based claiming victimhood what says kill all white men while trying to eliminate free speech good?

No, feminism once meant equality now it has evolved and means nothing of the sort

Err..no one says kill all white men or wants to eliminate free speech people are allowed to condemn what others say or hold them responsible for it without taking away your free speech. It's only having a victim complex when you are wrong about being the victim ie when men think they are oppressed because feminism wants to help women whereas acknowledging that women have been systematically oppressed since as far as records go back is just a knowledge of history and while in this country we're not still being oppressed there is still inequality which feminists are trying to fight, against those who think 'aah they want women's rights they must be trying to kill me because I'm a man'
Reply 23
Original post by DotDotDot...
Err..no one says kill all white men or wants to eliminate free speech people are allowed to condemn what others say or hold them responsible for it without taking away your free speech. It's only having a victim complex when you are wrong about being the victim ie when men think they are oppressed because feminism wants to help women whereas acknowledging that women have been systematically oppressed since as far as records go back is just a knowledge of history and while in this country we're not still being oppressed there is still inequality which feminists are trying to fight, against those who think 'aah they want women's rights they must be trying to kill me because I'm a man'

There have been hashtags saying killallwhite men.
Feminists have had people taken to court on harassment charges for saying the way they were acting is wrong.
What inequality are feminists fighting for the wage gap has been proven wrong for decades and there is no rape culture.
There have been hashtags saying killallwhite men.
Feminists have had people taken to court on harassment charges for saying the way they were acting is wrong.
What inequality are feminists fighting for the wage gap has been proven wrong for decades and there is no rape culture.

People still blame rape or possible rape victims- look at some of the comments on keshas case and many people still make rape jokes and many people just don't seem to get consent so there is rape culture (although not a big one I agree) the wage gap has not been proved wrong it is being contested and there is a lot of inequality in the way women are treated both by themselves and men. It's clear that many people are basing their judgements of feminists on only a couple of extreme cases much like people do with Muslims- I'm sure you can agree that it is wrong in that case why not in the case of feminism?
The sheer quantity of threads on here about feminism and why it's the worst thing to have ever existed, is perplexing.
The obsession with some guys on here about feminism, is far worse and far creepier than anything the vast majority of feminists ever do. Some try and disguise their hatred of 'feminism' by pretending to care about men's rights, yet they almost exclusively attack women.

It's weird that so many men on here are so insecure about themselves that they constantly need to attack women's issues. It's one thing to have a skeptical view of feminism, it's another to have an absolute obsession with it as so many on here do.
Complaining about feminism is the first world problem.

Shut up.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Complaining about feminism is the first world problem.

Shut up.

The opponents of feminism are far more (creepily) obsessed with it that its proponents.
Pretty much says it all really.
Original post by TheOpinion
Discuss

Feminism needs to grow the balls that it had when it first emerged and start tackling real issues instead of "I want to show off my nipples like guys can".
Like Richards Dawkins said, where are all the feminists shouting about the inequality and sexism against women in Islam which is alive and thriving in western countries. Where are they? I can't hear a single one.

Feminism is supposed to be about what matters, not what's easy or PC. I find it difficult to take seriously anymore.
Reply 29
Third-wave feminism?

Absolutely the worst thing to happen to western society,
Reply 30
Original post by DotDotDot...
People still blame rape or possible rape victims- look at some of the comments on keshas case and many people still make rape jokes and many people just don't seem to get consent so there is rape culture (although not a big one I agree) the wage gap has not been proved wrong it is being contested and there is a lot of inequality in the way women are treated both by themselves and men. It's clear that many people are basing their judgements of feminists on only a couple of extreme cases much like people do with Muslims- I'm sure you can agree that it is wrong in that case why not in the case of feminism?

The kesha case has absolutely no evidence so for an example that shows how we do not live in a rape culture an accusation is enough for people to declare someone guilty.
You say people don't seem to get consent that is completely true, not even the legal experts do, some women think you can withdraw consent after.
It is being contested by anecdotal evidence despite factual evidence showing it is completely untrue. For the same work and the same hours women get paid the same.
What inequality do women face?
I'm basing my views on feminism on my interaction with them and from my interaction and what I can see this modern feminism is mainly how it is portrayed, there is a difference between that and Muslims.
(edited 8 years ago)
The kesha case has absolutely no evidence so for an example that shows how we do not live in a rape culture an accusation is enough for people to declare someone guilty.
You say people don't seem to get consent that is completely true, not even the legal experts do, some women think you can withdraw consent after.
It is being contested by anecdotal evidence despite factual evidence showing it is completely untrue. For the same work and the same hours women get paid the same.
What inequality do women face?
I'm basing my views on feminism on my interaction with them and from my interaction and what I can see this modern feminism is mainly how it is portrayed, there is a difference between that and Muslims.

It's not the fact that people don't believe her it's the fact that some - the same people who hate feminism so much - are calling her a liar and other possible rape victims attention seekers when equally there's no evidence that she has lied. What inequalities do women face? I'd think the complete lack of women in highly paid or important jobs is enough evidence, that men entirely dominate the more well paid important jobs such as business and politics and also the fact that many women have to sexualise themselves in order to get anywhere. And actually no there is factual evidence for the wage gap and against the wage gap it just depends whose statistics you believe I've if you are a feminist or not. In my experience I have only seen a tiny fraction of feminists being at all hateful compared to thousands of people making hateful remarks towards feminists like go kill yourself or feminism is cancer. Equality is cancer right then...
woops, I accidentally voted no instead of yes thinking this was "is feminism good for the third word"
either way, feminism still existing in the first world in 2016 is proof that feminism is a joke
no matter what you give to women, they'll always want more. so now, they have more rights than men and tey are under the illusion that they have less.
I was thinking today about how much our culture actually puts men down a huge deal
for example, "every sexism": I was standing in a line buying some clothes today and I was in front of a woman, and the cashier looks behind me and says "can I help you?" and the woman she was obviously looking at comes in front of me as if it's ****ing nothing. women obviously "deserve" to be served before me in retail...
but am I calling for a new social movement to correct this? no - I'm simply saying that there's always going to be sexism against everybody. do I think women have it worse though? **** no. not today. not in the western world. **** that nonsense.
(edited 8 years ago)
bad
Original post by sleepysnooze

either way, feminism still existing in the first world in 2016 is proof that feminism is a joke

What an illogical sentence.
Does the existence of black rights groups in America mean black rights are a joke?

You seem far more obsessed with feminism than the proponents of it do. Creepy obsession really.

for example, "every sexism": I was standing in a line buying some clothes today and I was in front of a woman, and the cashier looks behind me and says "can I help you?" and the woman she was obviously looking at comes in front of me as if it's ****ing nothing. women obviously "deserve" to be served before me in retail...

I call BS. That didn't happen did it?
Original post by Bornblue
I call BS. That didn't happen did it?

that 100% happened. the shop was urban outfitters. the time was approximately 4pm. the county was devon.
Original post by Bornblue
What an illogical sentence.
Does the existence of black rights groups in America mean black rights are a joke?

You seem far more obsessed with feminism than the proponents of it do. Creepy obsession really.

you are interpreting my statement in a way to intentionally misunderstand it. don't you get bored of this? who are you serving?
I am talking about "feminism" in a land where women have it better - it is a joke because it is "needed" when it is precisely not needed - women hae more rights than men but women think they ahve less rights than men. that's why it's a joke. it's not a joke by definition. it's a joke because people think it's necessary everywhere for the sake of it.

and regarding black rights groups, how can you compare black people to women? I don't understand the comparison. black people are discriminated against - women aren't (or, i they are, they're positively discriminated against)
you are interpreting my statement in a way to intentionally misunderstand it. don't you get bored of this? who are you serving?
I am talking about "feminism" in a land where women have it better - it is a joke because it is "needed" when it is precisely not needed - women hae more rights than men but women think they ahve less rights than men. that's why it's a joke. it's not a joke by definition. it's a joke because people think it's necessary everywhere for the sake of it.

and regarding black rights groups, how can you compare black people to women? I don't understand the comparison. black people are discriminated against - women aren't (or, i they are, they're positively discriminated against)

Women don't have it better. You can make an argument to say it's equal but the idea that men are the victims is absurd to say the least.
And even if women are equal, feminism serves to draw attention to isses not about equality like female genital mutilation, breast cancer, annorexia, the sex industry etc etc, what's wrong with that?

How are black people discriminated against?

You're obsessed with feminism, utterly obsessed with it. It's creepy. You lot are genuinely more obsessed with feminism than its proponents. If you don't like feminism, fine. If you're skeptical of it, that's fine too. But to be utterly obsessed with it in the way you are is quite unhealthy and strange really.
that 100% happened. the shop was urban outfitters. the time was approximately 4pm. the county was devon.

Of course it did.

Quick Reply

Latest