The Student Room Group

People with Nut Allergies

I've had a few times with people with nut allergies when me/someone within the group has gone to eat nuts and they have asked them not to. I have an allergy so I don't think I'm unsympathetic but surely that's silly? If I eat a nut next to them there isn't some fumes going to go for them or little specks flying out my mouth into their's.

Am I missing something? It seems to me like schools etc are scared of something happening so they overreact and the people with nut allergies carry it on throughout there lives.
People with nut allergies can be exquisitely sensitive. I remember one day when someone left an open bag of nuts on a desk and it made my nut-intolerant maths teacher's face swell up from all the way across the room. You'd be surprised.
Reply 2
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
People with nut allergies can be exquisitely sensitive. I remember one day when someone left an open bag of nuts on a desk and it made my nut-intolerant maths teacher's face swell up from all the way across the room. You'd be surprised.

I'm not good at biology so maybe I'm missing something obvious but how is that possible? What are they reacting to when it hasn't even touched them?

The people I know eat out in places that handle nuts within the kitchen so it has to be 'may contain traces' so surely they can't be that sensitive?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BKS
I'm not good at biology so maybe I'm missing something obvious but how is that possible? What are they reacting to when it hasn't even touched them?

The people I know eat out in places that handle nuts within the kitchen so it has to be 'may contain traces' so surely they can't be that sensitive?

My guess is that the nuts contain volatile substances that evaporate out of the bag and diffuse around the room in the air, and that it's those substances that provoke the allergic reaction.

If you can smell a bag of nuts from across a room, there's obviously some chemical that was originally in the bag that is now in your nose.
My sister has an animal fur allergy that sent her into an anaphylactic shock once when she held a puppy. It got pretty serious. If she's in the same room as a dog now, or on a bus when a dog gets on, she starts to feel it almost instantly in her lungs and then her eyes start with symptoms and it can get quite uncomfortable for her. The allergens escape into the air. I think when it's something that can threaten someone's life the least you can do is not eat nuts around those who ask you not to.
Reply 5
Original post by mscaffrey
I think when it's something that can threaten someone's life the least you can do is not eat nuts around those who ask you not to.

I don't think any sane person would disagree. Like I expect my flatmate to be extra carefully cleaning up dishes he's used for eggs because even tiny amount give me a reaction and if he kept not I'd feel quite entitled to get pissed off at him. But I'm still really not convinced there isn't some melodramatics going on with some people :tongue:
Original post by BKS
I've had a few times with people with nut allergies when me/someone within the group has gone to eat nuts and they have asked them not to. I have an allergy so I don't think I'm unsympathetic but surely that's silly? If I eat a nut next to them there isn't some fumes going to go for them or little specks flying out my mouth into their's.

Am I missing something? It seems to me like schools etc are scared of something happening so they overreact and the people with nut allergies carry it on throughout there lives.

i still haven't got past nuts yet xD

Spoiler

Reply 7
Nut allergies are pretty serious. I have nut allergies and the scent of peanut butter can cause a serious episode( the scent is caused by small particles of that substance diffusing in the air). Its not only the scent that can only be harmful, but even if you have touched a peanut and then touched the surface of a desk or another object, that could also cause a person with nut allergies to have an episode. But it also comes down to the severity of an individuals allergy. Dont underestimate the power of the nut!
As the people above had said nut allergies can be among the most severe and sensitive of allergies. I doubt your friends are being melodramatic they're just trying to take care of their health as best they can. Sometimes it's not always feasible or possible for them to never go to a restaurant or establishment that may serve nuts or have traces of nuts, but it is feasible to ask their friends to be a bit more considerate and not eat nuts directly near them.
Reply 9
The more I listen to people talk about it the more I think my sense of risk about it is just different. I get that some people have more severe allergies than me and the smell thing does sound a particular pain in the arse. To me it's one more thing that can kill me in a world of many possible ways to accidentally die and from time to time I do have a reaction but it's just not that big a deal.

Also, I still suspect melodramatics but I'll skip the full stories :tongue:

It also amused me how people immediately go to this idea that I'm suggesting I should just eat nuts in front of them. Like I said before, that's self evidently stupid but people going straight there is so common.
Original post by BKS
The more I listen to people talk about it the more I think my sense of risk about it is just different. I get that some people have more severe allergies than me and the smell thing does sound a particular pain in the arse. To me it's one more thing that can kill me in a world of many possible ways to accidentally die and from time to time I do have a reaction but it's just not that big a deal.

Also, I still suspect melodramatics but I'll skip the full stories :tongue:

It also amused me how people immediately go to this idea that I'm suggesting I should just eat nuts in front of them. Like I said before, that's self evidently stupid but people going straight there is so common.

I can only assume since you said your attacks aren't a big deal that you've not experienced anaphylaxis? Which can be immediately life threatening. And nut allergies are more likely to be anaphylactic. It's also worth noting allergies can get more serious over time, someone who has not had an anaphylactic reaction to their allergen may one day get that reaction. They might not want to take that risk.
Reply 11
Original post by SophieSmall
I can only assume since you said your attacks aren't a big deal that you've not experienced anaphylaxis? Which can be immediately life threatening. And nut allergies are more likely to be anaphylactic. It's also worth noting allergies can get more serious over time, someone who has not had an anaphylactic reaction to their allergen may one day get that reaction. They might not want to take that risk.

I had fully on anaphylaxis when I first ate egg but I don't actually remember it. I've experienced mouth swelling etc whilst older but nothing as severe because avoiding significant amounts isn't hard.

The rate of death from anaphylaxis is actually tiny, I just looked it up and NHS Choices says about 20 per year across the UK (and I'd bet a decent % of those are people who didn't know about their allergy). I'm not saying it's a fun experience but equally the odds of dropping dead on the spot aren't high, let alone dying at all
Original post by BKS
I had fully on anaphylaxis when I first ate egg but I don't actually remember it. I've experienced mouth swelling etc whilst older but nothing as severe because avoiding significant amounts isn't hard.

The rate of death from anaphylaxis is actually tiny, I just looked it up and NHS Choices says about 20 per year across the UK (and I'd bet a decent % of those are people who didn't know about their allergy). I'm not saying it's a fun experience but equally the odds of dropping dead on the spot aren't high, let alone dying at all

Right so you don't remember having it. For people who do remember it is incredibly scary.

Also that's a point to make "because avoiding significant amounts isn't hard" some people's allergies are so severe even the smallest amount will induce anaphylaxis. I don't understand why that is hard to understand? Not everyone's allergies are the same as yours.

And yes the death rate is low thankfully because of modern medicine and quick intervention times. But it doesn't make it any less scary when you airways are constricted and you physically can't breathe and you start to lost your vision from lack of oxygen, when you're in that position you fear you might die. So maybe cut your friends some slack.
Reply 13
Right so you don't remember having it. For people who do remember it is incredibly scary.

Also that's a point to make "because avoiding significant amounts isn't hard" some people's allergies are so severe even the smallest amount will induce anaphylaxis. I don't understand why that is hard to understand? Not everyone's allergies are the same as yours.

And yes the death rate is low thankfully because of modern medicine and quick intervention times. But it doesn't make it any less scary when you airways are constricted and you physically can't breathe and you start to lost your vision from lack of oxygen, when you're in that position you fear you might die. So maybe cut your friends some slack.

I don't understand why you are so bothered and seem to be speaking to me like I'm stupid. I literally said I get that some people have more severe allergies than me

Maybe I'm just articulating my point badly but either way I don't see the point continuing to discus it with you.
Original post by BKS
I don't understand why you are so bothered and seem to be speaking to me like I'm stupid. I literally said I get that some people have more severe allergies than me

Maybe I'm just articulating my point badly but either way I don't see the point continuing to discus it with you.

It's certainly not my intention at all to talk to you like you're stupid. If you feel that way then I'm sorry but it wasn't intentional.

Then I don't understand why you made this thread in the first place? You asked a question and you just don't seem to like the answers you have gotten.
Reply 15
It's certainly not my intention at all to talk to you like you're stupid. If you feel that way then I'm sorry but it wasn't intentional.

Then I don't understand why you made this thread in the first place? You asked a question and you just don't seem to like the answers you have gotten.

My objection to discussing it further is how your tone came across not the content, I don't do squabbling with people talking down to me and it sounded like you were going that way.

I hear what people are saying but I still really don't get it- my only explanation is the sense of risk. Some people do have very severe allergies but without being able to find stats I think it's logical to assume even most people who get anaphylaxis aren't on the extreme end of sensitivity. Either I've met a disproportionate amount on the extreme end or people are being melodramatic.

I can't even get myself to thinking of anaphylaxis as that life threatening given the death rate. I'm sure it's a very unpleasant experience but that's not quite the same thing. I imagine if I were to be stats there'd be lots of ways we are more likely to die that people spend a lot less time worrying about.

Then you get stuff like support groups for parents of kids with allergies. The fact that exists is just incomprehensible to me.
Original post by BKS
My objection to discussing it further is how your tone came across not the content, I don't do squabbling with people talking down to me and it sounded like you were going that way.

I hear what people are saying but I still really don't get it- my only explanation is the sense of risk. Some people do have very severe allergies but without being able to find stats I think it's logical to assume even most people who get anaphylaxis aren't on the extreme end of sensitivity. Either I've met a disproportionate amount on the extreme end or people are being melodramatic.

I can't even get myself to thinking of anaphylaxis as that life threatening given the death rate. I'm sure it's a very unpleasant experience but that's not quite the same thing. I imagine if I were to be stats there'd be lots of ways we are more likely to die that people spend a lot less time worrying about.

Then you get stuff like support groups for parents of kids with allergies. The fact that exists is just incomprehensible to me.

I just don't understand how exactly I'm conveying a tone that's so bad?

I agree you probably have a completely different sense of risk, or you're just not at all accustomed to having an allergy so severe you want to do everything you possibly can within reason to stay away from the allergy. It's a good thing the death rate has become so low, and I'm willing to bet a large part of that is for one obviously because of quick medical intervention, knowledge and education on the matter and the fact that food companies now have to state known common allergens on food packaging.

I don't think "very unpleasant" really covers just how bad the anaphylaxis I described is.

I don't understand what is wrong with support groups? They can be great resources for parents to help understand what their kid is going through and great resources to help them change their life so as to impose as little risk as possible onto their child and to get tips from other parents as to where are good places to eat, how to make others understand you can't give their child certain foods (you;d be surprised how many idiots flat out refuse to believe someone is severely allergic to something and try to sneak them food) ect. You may not feel they are necessary, but others do and they're not harming anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending