The Student Room Group

What subjects to choose?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yandex
That is what my question is to muchensmile because he/she is familiar with medicine applying, but probably no since most universities have strict requirements about having Chemistry at higher in S5. My teacher told me to crash in S6, I told her I need it in S5, but she told me I am not allowed. So yeah this probably won't work.

Are you sure? I think that's wrong. Some unis say subjects for S5, but that would be if youre applying after S5 and not doing S6.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, since some people decide when theyre 20 that they suddenly wish to study medicine, they may go to college to get their highers. I think youre misunderstanding the requirements. You cant expect to crash so many intense subjects as well, crashing is possible but extremely hard. Talk to your teacher properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by alana_p
Are you sure? I think that's wrong. Some unis say subjects for S5, but that would be if youre applying after S5 and not doing S6.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if I understand this correctly it says that I must apply after S6 and must have Chemistry in S5. There are some other universities and things there vary, but most require Chemistry at S5.

It'a a quote from University of Glasgow.

Edit: Ohhhh I just saw it. Nevermind. It says a crash higher from S6 is acceptable.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Sorry I completely missed that and I was having a go at the teacher for not reading the requirements! :biggrin: Ah well at least that's been cleared up for you.
Sorry again for not seeing that bit and good luck!
Scottish unis would never make you get any highers in 5th year. They understand circumstances and how some schools don't offer certain things and how career paths change. Also, uni isn't full of 18 year olds fresh out if high school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Yandex
Well if I understand this correctly it says that I must apply after S6 and must have Chemistry in S5. There are some other universities and things there vary, but most require Chemistry at S5.

It'a a quote from University of Glasgow.

Edit: Ohhhh I just saw it. Nevermind. It says a crash higher from S6 is acceptable.

Spoiler

Ill quote Edinburgh:
"SQA Highers: AAAAB by the end of S5, to include Chemistry and two of Biology, Mathematics or Physics. For some applicants this subject combination at S5 Higher is neither possible nor appropriate. Students who meet the grade requirements in S5 but are missing one or more sciences may take the missing subject(s) in S6. Human Biology may replace Biology."

So it is possible to crash Chemistry in 6th year for Edinburgh too, but you will need to do well in it.

Edit: Just to clear things up, you can apply for medicine before the Ucas deadline of 15th October in the same year that you start 6th year. Therefore, you can apply to medicine October next year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Hello,

So tomorrow is the options day so I have a few last questions.

1. When all of these universities say that they require AAAAA or AAAAB or whatever at S5 they mean at higher level, right? It is not like I can take 3 highers and two Nat 5 or something similar?

2. If the answer to 1 is yes, then considering I take 5 out of 7 subjects at Nat 5 this year my only option is to continue them at higher, right? Otherwise I wont meet the requirements.

3. Often at entry requirements I see "AAAAA or AAAABB" and as far as I know I can take 5 subject at S5. How am I then supposed to have 6 grades?

4. (This one is to muchensmile) I see that the Edinburgh they say something about graduate applicants.

Spoiler

Does this mean that I can apply next year with only 4 highers at grade B? It doesn't make sense, because why would they have such high requirements for applying in S6, but so low (only B's) if applying from S5. I don't get it.

5. And last. This whole thing feels a little rushed, for me at least. As alana_p said, what are my other option? If, for example, I graduated without meeting the requirements and then I decided I want to study medicine, what would I do? She said I can get my highers at college. Does this mean that I can, in a way, resit them or no? Or wouldn't it be better if for example I graduated without much worrying and then when I am at a higher age I take my highers with better grades for example. I have no idea how this college thing works. I am just asking.

And sorry for the awful lot of questions. I am just not familiar with things. Thanks.
Reply 27
1. Yes this generally means all at higher level unless it states otherwise.
2. Yes that is your only option considering your school doesn't allow you to crash a new subject in S5
3. They could be referring to grades gotten by the end of S6, but if not then there isn't much to think about, if your school lets you do 5 subjects (most common anyway I think) then there isn't much you can do about it.
5 I can't really answer cause I don't know much about that route but it's certainly something to look into.
Reply 28
Original post by Yandex
Hello,

So tomorrow is the options day so I have a few last questions.

1. When all of these universities say that they require AAAAA or AAAAB or whatever at S5 they mean at higher level, right? It is not like I can take 3 highers and two Nat 5 or something similar?

2. If the answer to 1 is yes, then considering I take 5 out of 7 subjects at Nat 5 this year my only option is to continue them at higher, right? Otherwise I wont meet the requirements.

3. Often at entry requirements I see "AAAAA or AAAABB" and as far as I know I can take 5 subject at S5. How am I then supposed to have 6 grades?

4. (This one is to muchensmile) I see that the Edinburgh they say something about graduate applicants.

Spoiler

Does this mean that I can apply next year with only 4 highers at grade B? It doesn't make sense, because why would they have such high requirements for applying in S6, but so low (only B's) if applying from S5. I don't get it.

5. And last. This whole thing feels a little rushed, for me at least. As alana_p said, what are my other option? If, for example, I graduated without meeting the requirements and then I decided I want to study medicine, what would I do? She said I can get my highers at college. Does this mean that I can, in a way, resit them or no? Or wouldn't it be better if for example I graduated without much worrying and then when I am at a higher age I take my highers with better grades for example. I have no idea how this college thing works. I am just asking.

And sorry for the awful lot of questions. I am just not familiar with things. Thanks.

PTS answered most, so Ill just talk about 4 and 5.

4. Basic answer is no. You cannot apply next year with 4 highers at B. Graduate entry is for people who have gone to university and obtained a degree such as biomed sciences, and then apply for medicine. Therefore their graduation score matters more than their highers. (I don't recommend graduate medicine, competition is way worse and you need to sit GAMSAT+UKCAT and high scores are required for both to be competitive, not to mention passing your degree in the first place.

5. I would agree, this whole process is too rushed. I really hoped I could a gap year, would of given me more time to do things...
You don't really have much option if you get less than AAAAB at Highers sat in S5. The only option is either:
Study something related to medicine, and do graduate entry medicine (which is ultra competitive, but still hope)
Or
Study something completely different (there's other careers out there)

You probably could resit highers at college, but med schools won't accept it (unless you proved you were very ill or something). They want all 5 done hopefully within 1 year in S5 to show your academic abilities. Even if its for graduate entry, resitting highers at college won't help much, after all they want
"school-leaving qualifications with minimum academic requirements at one sitting"

Therefore, the best time to get into medicine is after Highers, graduate entry is too competitive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ouch, medicine seems so competitive! (Sorry this is completely unrelated ahah)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by alana_p
Ouch, medicine seems so competitive! (Sorry this is completely unrelated ahah)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah application process was way too stressful. I just had my final interview so I'm glad it's all over now :yep::yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by muchensmile
Haha yeah application process was way too stressful. I just had my final interview so I'm glad it's all over now :yep::yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wish you good luck! And yes, unfortunately, it is quite competitive.
Original post by Yandex

Tbf you could do 3 AHs then apply to English medical schools. I know of someone at Keele who got BBCCC at higher then got an offer on their predictions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
img001.jpgHello, I may need some help again.

I choose my subjects, all highers, but the problem was that the subjects I had chosen were not able to fit the provided choices columns. In column E level Higher (see picture) I haven't been doing any of the subjects and even worse - I haven't done any of the Nat5's bellow. Basically I can't choose anything other than to start a new Nat4 subject...

My guidance teacher said that she will solve it and they will try to put me where I want. I thought it wont be a problem, so I wasn't worrying. Until today, when she said to me that they can't fit me so I should be prepared for the worst - to do Nat4 in S5.Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this mean that she is pretty much destroying all my chances for medical (and ICT) university even if I was able to get the grades?

What frustrates me most is the fact that, because I was new in the beginning of this year they decided not to give me all the subject options, but only the ones they had free space in. They never considered that I may be in this situation and now they say to me that I can't continue with highers. And not only this, but they also wont allow me to crash a higher.

I am afraid I know what my options are, but I just wanted to ask someone else's opinion. What can I do?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
Whilst it is not completely necessary to complete a full year at N4 to go on to to the N5 (it is more common with N5 to just skip N4 and just sit the assessment later on if required), I understand that these options aren't going well for you at all.
Looking at that options form (which I agree is pretty dreadful), I would have said A: H Physics, B: H Maths, C: H Biology, D: H English, E: H Chemistry if you had all of these at N5 or you could crash, which you can't. I know that column E is causing problems for you and I honestly can't think of a suitable option here for you.Again I can't help you with medical school, but for IT there is still a possibility if you get 4 Highers in S5, and then get H Computing Sci. in S6. Doing a crash Higher in S5 is rare and not recommended and I'm not really surprised that they won't let you do it, even if it does cause issues for you.Can you clarify what subjects you had decided to take, even if they don't seem to fit in with the columns, and what your guidance teacher has told you to take please?
Reply 35
Original post by PTS_99
Whilst it is not completely necessary to complete a full year at N4 to go on to to the N5 (it is more common with N5 to just skip N4 and just sit the assessment later on if required), I understand that these options aren't going well for you at all.
Looking at that options form (which I agree is pretty dreadful), I would have said A: H Physics, B: H Maths, C: H Biology, D: H English, E: H Chemistry if you had all of these at N5 or you could crash, which you can't. I know that column E is causing problems for you and I honestly can't think of a suitable option here for you.Again I can't help you with medical school, but for IT there is still a possibility if you get 4 Highers in S5, and then get H Computing Sci. in S6. Doing a crash Higher in S5 is rare and not recommended and I'm not really surprised that they won't let you do it, even if it does cause issues for you.Can you clarify what subjects you had decided to take, even if they don't seem to fit in with the columns, and what your guidance teacher has told you to take please?

I wanted to continue my N5 subjects from this year. This includes English, Maths, Physics, Biology, Music Tech. I needed English or Biology in E to continue all my subjects.My guidance teacher told me that they are still trying to see if they can put me in the subjects I want, but she said that it is unlikely and I should prepare to do N4 in S5. I will talk with her tomorrow and we must think of something. I mean that it was their responsibility to provide me the right form in the beginning of S4, not a form only with subjects where I could fill free spaces.
Reply 36
Original post by Yandex
img001.jpgHello, I may need some help again.

I choose my subjects, all highers, but the problem was that the subjects I had chosen were not able to fit the provided choices columns. In column E level Higher (see picture) I haven't been doing any of the subjects and even worse - I haven't done any of the Nat5's bellow. Basically I can't choose anything other than to start a new Nat4 subject...

My guidance teacher said that she will solve it and they will try to put me where I want. I thought it wont be a problem, so I wasn't worrying. Until today, when she said to me that they can't fit me so I should be prepared for the worst - to do Nat4 in S5.Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't this mean that she is pretty much destroying all my chances for medical (and ICT) university even if I was able to get the grades?

What frustrates me most is the fact that, because I was new in the beginning of this year they decided not to give me all the subject options, but only the ones they had free space in. They never considered that I may be in this situation and now they say to me that I can't continue with highers. And not only this, but they also wont allow me to crash a higher.

I am afraid I know what my options are, but I just wanted to ask someone else's opinion. What can I do?

You need to push to be able to sit a crash higher in the last column- get your parents involved if necessary. It's ridiculous that they're insisting you do a national 4 in S5, especially given your aim to study a highly competitive course like medicine.
Reply 37
Original post by Flk10
You need to push to be able to sit a crash higher in the last column- get your parents involved if necessary. It's ridiculous that they're insisting you do a national 4 in S5, especially given your aim to study a highly competitive course like medicine.

I know it is ridiculous. My parents are a problem too, they don't know English very well and have no idea how nationals work, so it is basically me in charge of choices and everything, but yes, I will talk with someone about this thing.
Reply 38
You must do whatever you can do avoid doing N4 in S5 especially considering you want to go into medicine.
I agree that the school has screwed you over pretty badly when you first started there from the sounds of things but apart from complaining about it (believe me I know a good rant can help) there is little you can do about it now.
You need to seriously push your guidance teacher to get your subjects for you, if they can't then I've run out of reasonable things to suggest really. I agree with Flk that you should get your parents involved and start building a dialogue between you and your parents, your guidance teacher and a member of senior leadership (head/depute) to try and resolve the issue.

The final, and mostly unreasonable thing I can suggest is that you look at your wider options. This may be other schools in your area if they still cannot provide for you (not possible for everybody I know), other ways of getting your qualifications (munchensmile will probably be able to help with this if you need it), or other career paths (again not at all reasonable if medicine is something you really want to do, which I think you do).
Reply 39
Original post by PTS_99
You must do whatever you can do avoid doing N4 in S5 especially considering you want to go into medicine.
I agree that the school has screwed you over pretty badly when you first started there from the sounds of things but apart from complaining about it (believe me I know a good rant can help) there is little you can do about it now.
You need to seriously push your guidance teacher to get your subjects for you, if they can't then I've run out of reasonable things to suggest really. I agree with Flk that you should get your parents involved and start building a dialogue between you and your parents, your guidance teacher and a member of senior leadership (head/depute) to try and resolve the issue.

The final, and mostly unreasonable thing I can suggest is that you look at your wider options. This may be other schools in your area if they still cannot provide for you (not possible for everybody I know), other ways of getting your qualifications (munchensmile will probably be able to help with this if you need it), or other career paths (again not at all reasonable if medicine is something you really want to do, which I think you do).

I will talk with my guidance tomorrow and I just hope that they managed to sort it out. I also thought about this idea to move school, but this is if nothing else works. And yeah I just needed to tell someone about my disagreement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending