The Student Room Group

"To hold on to the past creates suffering even if it was wonderful".

Do you agree with this quote?.
I do.
It's best to focus only on the present.
The past is gone forever and the future isn't here yet.
I do believe in moving forward but memories are still an important part of our lives
Reply 2
Original post by Blondie987
I do believe in moving forward but memories are still an important part of our lives

What purpose do they serve?.
We either wish they didn't happen or wish they would happen again or to come back to that "sweet moment", which is impossible , and hence both sceneraios create suffering.
[video="youtube;4-L6rEm0rnY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-L6rEm0rnY[/video]
Reply 4
Original post by Blondie987

I agree; holding on to good memories (and bad) is healthy and normal, but when you start dwelling on the past, that's when it becomes a problem. I tend to dwell past, and it does me no good.
I'm a very nostalgic person and I love reminiscing on past memories and listening to songs that remind me of old times. It can be to my detriment sometimes though I reckon, as I just look back and miss how things used to be so simple and life was nothing but fun and I wish I could go back sometimes.
Original post by Jellyfishx
We either wish they didn't happen or wish they would happen again or to come back to that "sweet moment", which is impossible , and hence both sceneraios create suffering.

Reminiscing does not necessarily mean you want the moment to come back, and therefore does not always create suffering. You could just be laughing about an embarrassing moment that ended up being super funny, for example. At the time maybe you wish it hadn't happened, but it makes you laugh now so remembering it doesn't make you suffer. Neither of your two scenarios apply here.
I do.

Hi !

I both agree and disagree. I agree that the past could be painful to think about. But for me it's important to remember what we've been through to keep moving forward. You know it's like books, when you turn a page, if you don't remember the last page the story have no sense.
Anyway, when you did a mistake in the past it's important to remember it, then you wont do it again
Here's my point :smile:

If we can't learn from our past or cherish the time we've spent so far to teach us how to make the best of the present, what's the point of doing anything? You seem to be relating memory to trying to go back and it's not the same thing, past events make us who we are today and there's nothing wrong with thinking about them as long as we don't obsess :smile:
Reply 9
I don't see any harm in looking in awe at good things that have happened in the past, but I'd agree that an awful lot of people get so focused and hung up on the past and lose sight of the present and what they have here & now.
Reply 10
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Hi !

I both agree and disagree. I agree that the past could be painful to think about. But for me it's important to remember what we've been through to keep moving forward. You know it's like books, when you turn a page, if you don't remember the last page the story have no sense.
Anyway, when you did a mistake in the past it's important to remember it, then you wont do it again
Here's my point :smile:

Yes, but the thing is , those memories are only in our heads.
Those moments do not exist anymore , they have passed already.
Yes, but the thing is , those memories are only in our heads.
Those moments do not exist anymore , they have passed already.

Exactly. And that's why it's important, why are we living in the present if it's not to remember that present in the future ?
Original post by WoodyMKC
I'm a very nostalgic person and I love reminiscing on past memories and listening to songs that remind me of old times. It can be to my detriment sometimes though I reckon, as I just look back and miss how things used to be so simple and life was nothing but fun and I wish I could go back sometimes.

Oh man! So true. Tbh there no escaping the past. No matter how much you try to forget the positive or negative **** that just happened in your life,one day these thoughts will pop at at 3pm or 3am reminding you just what happened
I do.

The way the quote is phrased suggests attachment to the past which, yes, causes suffering. Of course memories and visions of the future will come and go but it is the holding on to them and subsequent fantasy that arises that creates the problems.
imo
I quite enjoy reminiscing on the past (good and bad times). And I quite like how it makes me feel. I feel so content. Just knowing how far I have come, how much I have evolved. That I'm in a good place (compared to the past)...I like to remind myself of it all...I enjoy it lol

The past is quite important. It's not gone forever. It lives within you and shapes out who you are today.
Original post by queen-bee
Oh man! So true. Tbh there no escaping the past. No matter how much you try to forget the positive or negative **** that just happened in your life,one day these thoughts will pop at at 3pm or 3am reminding you just what happened

Why is it always the cringiest ones that pop up in the middle of the night :lol:
Original post by WoodyMKC
Why is it always the cringiest ones that pop up in the middle of the night :lol:

Looool your brain doesn't want you to sleep! It's so weird because during the day you are able to get along just fine and then at midnight it's like,okay let me regret every single choice I've made in my whole entire life

Quick Reply

Latest