The Student Room Group

Bryony's Path to University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Update- Wednesday 24th February

So today I get the joy of 8 hours in the car to Brighton and back for an applicant day. Whilst I plan to sleep for a considerable part of the journey; I may be able to get a small amount of work done. I'm thinking perhaps some physics notes or maybe a C1 past paper.

Apologies for the short post but it is early

Bryony (:
Reply 41
Update- Thursday 25th February

Sorry I didn't update last night; I didn't get home until gone 10 and having been up since 5am I didn't feel like updating my blog particularly considering I'd done absolutely nothing. I did take some work with me but quickly realised that I started to feel sick from reading/writing in the car and so stopped.

Today I plan to get the following done:
-M1 January 2005 (Finish)
-Physics notes on Latent Heat
-Read through applied physics book

I'm not putting too much on my list as I am still incredibly tired and can already see myself crashing.

Bryony (:
Original post by BryonyG98
Update- Thursday 25th February

Sorry I didn't update last night; I didn't get home until gone 10 and having been up since 5am I didn't feel like updating my blog particularly considering I'd done absolutely nothing. I did take some work with me but quickly realised that I started to feel sick from reading/writing in the car and so stopped.

Today I plan to get the following done:
-M1 January 2005 (Finish)
-Physics notes on Latent Heat
-Read through applied physics book

I'm not putting too much on my list as I am still incredibly tired and can already see myself crashing.

Bryony (:

I hope your Brighton day was enjoyable! I would dispose of my list entirely if I was you, but then I'm prone to procrastination anyway and tiredness is the perfect excuse for me. :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Ara8311a
I hope your Brighton day was enjoyable! I would dispose of my list entirely if I was you, but then I'm prone to procrastination anyway and tiredness is the perfect excuse for me. :smile:

It very much was, there will be more detail in my next post (in about 3 hours I hope!) That is the kind of mentality I am trying to get rid of; I had that feeling for too long and I thought "oh I'm tired, I won't do any work" and that kept happening more and more often and so I ended up with poor grades hence my change in mentality.
It very much was, there will be more detail in my next post (in about 3 hours I hope!) That is the kind of mentality I am trying to get rid of; I had that feeling for too long and I thought "oh I'm tired, I won't do any work" and that kept happening more and more often and so I ended up with poor grades hence my change in mentality.

I'm looking forward to it then! :smile:
I'm trying to do the same although my attempts haven't been quite as successful as yours. I seem to be spending all my time on here that I'm 'saving'. :tongue:
Reply 45
Brighton, Bath and Tiredness

Thursday 25th February

As anyone who reads this will know; yesterday I visited Brighton University for an applicant day. The day for me started at 5am when I woke up to my alarm which I had incorrectly set half an hour early, much to my annoyance. It then consisted of a 4 and a half hour drive to Moulsecoomb Campus of Brighton University which is home to the School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics amongst other things. I might now add that on the way we stopped once and had a drink! We got to Brighton at around 11:15; 45 minutes early. Whilst this certainly wasn't the most organised applicant day I have been to, the facilities and campus were amazing however I definitely preferred those at Exeter. However I have now decided that Brighton is going to be my firm choice unless something crazy happens and Loughborough lower my offer for some reason at the applicant day, which they have been known to do. After a number of presentations and a tour of the buildings (which included a very nice lecturer letting me fly a virtual plane) we got back in the car and headed home; stopping for food on the way. We got home at about 10pm so it was a very long day, hence not feeling as though I would update this last night and this mornings update was very short.

Secondly; I have now heard from all of my university choices. The last to reply was Bath and unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) I was unsuccessful. Whilst I am slightly disheartened to not be offered a place; I know that my predicted grades were considerably lower than the offer grades (A*A*A). I also applied on the 15th January (aka Deadline Day) and it was very spur of the moment. I basically didn't know where to apply so was told to pick one I liked the look of with high grade requirements in case I do get an offer! So therefore if I had received an offer I may have been tempted to pick it to encourage myself however in my heart I know I would not have enjoyed it as much there (nothing against the university-just a personal opinion) as I have visited the campus and just did not get the same spark as I do at Exeter. This just goes to show that you have to choose the university that best suits you and your needs not just the one that offers the highest grades and is therefore considered to be better.

So now for the important bit: What I have done today?
-Physics Notes on:

Specific Latent Heat [Unit 5]

Cathode Rays [Turning Points]

Thermionic Emission [Turning Points]

Introduction to Rotational Dynamics [Applied Physics]

-M1 January 2005 (up to Q6 -only 2 more to go) I have been marking this as I go through and have only dropped 5 marks so far which I am quite impressed with. M1 is one of the modules (along with C3 and C4) that need considerable boosting for this year)
-Chemistry Electrode Potentials Sheet (Homework- done in a study period)

I am quite impressed with what I have done today, it was more than what was on my list and this makes me feel productive even though I am completely shattered and am about to head off for an early night. I feel that the method of posting in the morning and evening is working for me as I know exactly what I have to do each day. I also feel I have become better at knowing how long a task will take me and so this allows me to plan more thoroughly. In tomorrow evening's post I hope to give you an insight into what my extra curricular activities have taught me about revision and go into more depth about how I revise different subjects.

This seems to be a fairly long one so I hope people take the time to read it.

Bryony (:

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
Friday 26th February

Today I plan to get a fair amount done. I have guides this evening from about 7-9:30 so that is a fairly large chunk of my evening taken out.

-Finally finish that M1 January 2005 paper
-Physics Notes on at least 2 topics
-Chemistry Electrode Potentials part 2 sheet

Short list but a busy day

Bryony (:
Reply 47
Saturday 27th February

Apologies, I didn't get a chance to update this last night. Yesterday I managed to complete almost everything on my list:

- M1 January 2005 (scored 70/75 but did not complete it in the time-it was more for practice of the style of questions as opposed to the actual exam practice)
- Physics Notes

Finished Thermionic Emission Notes

Started the topic on Determining the Charge of an Electron

Both of which are for Turning Points

In the time that I had planned to do the chemistry sheet ( I got 94% on the first half!) I was asked to give a tour of the school to a new prospective pupil. I will include what I planned to post yesterday in this evenings post.

Today I plan to:
-M1 June 2005
-C1 January 2006
-C2 June 2005
-Chemistry Sheets (Electrode potential and redox)
-Finish physics notes on Determining the Charge of an Electron

It may seem like a lot but I am optimistic

Bryony (:
(edited 8 years ago)
Saturday 27th February

Apologies, I didn't get a chance to update this last night. Yesterday I managed to complete almost everything on my list:

- M1 January 2005 (scored 70/75 but did not complete it in the time-it was more for practice of the style of questions as opposed to the actual exam practice)
- Physics Notes

Finished Thermionic Emission Notes

Started the topic on Determining the Charge of an Electron

Both of which are for Turning Points

In the time that I had planned to do the chemistry sheet ( I got 94% on the first half!) I was asked to give a tour of the school to a new prospective pupil. I will include what I planned to post yesterday in this evenings post.

Today I plan to:
-M1 June 2005
-C1 January 2006
-C2 June 2005
-Chemistry Sheets (Electrode potential and redox)
-Finish physics notes on Determining the Charge of an Electron

It may seem like a lot but I am optimistic

Bryony (:

Good luck! You can do it!!!

Spoiler

Reply 49
Good luck! You can do it!!!

Spoiler

It is going to be very busy! I'm only part way through the C1 paper however I have spent a while playing hockey and organising a load of work so that counts for something.

I'm glad someone read it! Thanks! If anything it has made me more determined to get the grades!
It is going to be very busy! I'm only part way through the C1 paper however I have spent a while playing hockey and organising a load of work so that counts for something.

I'm glad someone read it! Thanks! If anything it has made me more determined to get the grades!

:smile: Organising is a day's work on its own!
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry to hear about Bath, though I guess if you didn't feel like you would've have enjoyed it then there's not much harm done there, and I'm glad that you've visited Brighton and figured out that you like it there.

I like how you can set specific goals as every day and it helps you - keep up the good work! :borat:
x

Exam board for Maths/Physics?

I'm in the same boat. :smile:
Reply 53
:smile: Organising is a day's work on its own!

Don't I know it! My dining room table is currently a complete mess with notes and folders and papers!

Original post by SeanFM
Sorry to hear about Bath, though I guess if you didn't feel like you would've have enjoyed it then there's not much harm done there, and I'm glad that you've visited Brighton and figured out that you like it there.

I like how you can set specific goals as every day and it helps you - keep up the good work! :borat:

Yeah, that is how I am choosing to look at hit. It has almost given me more motivation as I want to prove to myself that if I had wanted to go there I could have!

Specific goals are really helping me. And posting them publicly is even better as I feel I have a duty to do my best to complete them. I attempted to participate last year but gave up fairly quickly; the goals I set were too vague and I did them weekly so I had too long to complete them! Thank You!

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Exam board for Maths/Physics?

I'm in the same boat. :smile:

Edexcel for Maths and AQA A for Physics. What about you? What other subjects do you take?
Edexcel for Maths and AQA A for Physics. What about you? What other subjects do you take?

I'm with Edexcel for both Maths/Physics.

I'm doing Maths and Physics as I already did A level History.

What modules you doing for Maths? How are you revising for math so far?
Reply 55
How Have Extra Curricular Activities Helped Me?

Saturday 27th February

So today I am going to write about how my extra curricular activities have helped me in my studies and revision. Quite a few people say that I do too much however each aspect of my extra curricular activities help me in a different way. Firstly, I feel that extra curricular activities are so important to your mental health. All work and no play makes a very boring person and I think that saying is true.

Hockey: I play hockey 4 times a week most of the year (with a break from April-May and then July-August). As I play in goal, I find it to be an excellent to express any anger or stress and I always feel happier when I finish a session. I also feel that it is very important to keep up fitness during school and revision. Equally, hockey has taught me that if you practice enough you will improve and that is important as it is transferable not just to sport but also to other aspects of life including my studies. The more I practice the better I will get.

Discus: I only do this during the summer term so during the hockey break. I find that this helps me in a similar way to hockey as it is at a different time.

Guides: I am a part of Girlguiding, a member of the Senior Section and a young leader at my local Guide unit. I find that this Is a way for me to let off steam, as it only happens on a Friday. It also gives me a break at the end of the week when I can just forget about school as I have a completely different group of friends there.

CCF: I am a member of the RAF section at my school's CCF section. Being a part of this for four years has taught me self-discipline which I do not think I would have learnt otherwise. This has helped me to control myself in my studies and push myself to achieve my best.

So now onto what is important. What did I do today?

-C1 January 2006 (75/75)
-C2 June 2005 (75/75)
-Finish my physics notes

So unfortunately not all that I aimed to do but the notes took a lot longer than I thought. I will do the Chemistry sheets and M1 paper tomorrow; hopefully before lunch.

Bryony (:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
I'm with Edexcel for both Maths/Physics.

I'm doing Maths and Physics as I already did A level History.

What modules you doing for Maths? How are you revising for math so far?

C1-4 M1 and S1

Fortunately I have already covered all of the content as I studied this last year. Now I am focusing on past papers and getting my exam technique sorted out . For this reason most of my maths revision is past papers and then if I find a topic I am continually struggling with I will look in the text book, ask teachers and friends, and watch video tutorials online. After this I will then re-do past paper questions to ensure that I fully understand the topic. What are your aims?
C1-4 M1 and S1

Fortunately I have already covered all of the content as I studied this last year. Now I am focusing on past papers and getting my exam technique sorted out . For this reason most of my maths revision is past papers and then if I find a topic I am continually struggling with I will look in the text book, ask teachers and friends, and watch video tutorials online. After this I will then re-do past paper questions to ensure that I fully understand the topic. What are your aims?

Are you resitting them or are you a gap year student or?

I'm on a gap year at the moment.. my personal method on revising Maths...

1) Complete Edexcel Jan 2011-> latest paper available.
2) Complete Edexcel IAL Jan 2011-> Latest paper available.
3) Review any inconsistency topics and attempt MadasMaths resources(more question practices solely on each topic) to help turn any weakness into my strength.
4) As much Madasmaths past papers with remaining time left over.

As for Physics its the same for #.1 + #.2 above but also then reviewing anything else.
My issue is that I'm going to run out of past paper resources for Physics very very soon (estimated late March/early April) whereas with Maths there are more than enough resources to exhaust.

I'm doing C1-4, M1 + S2(I'm doing S2 because I scored good at S1 but want S2 to be my insurance module if I mess up in M1)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 58
Are you resitting them or are you a gap year student or?

I'm on a gap year at the moment.. my personal method on revising Maths...

1) Complete Edexcel Jan 2011-> latest paper available.
2) Complete Edexcel IAL Jan 2011-> Latest paper available.
3) Review any inconsistency topics and attempt MadasMaths resources(more question practices solely on each topic) to help turn any weakness into my strength.
4) As much Madasmaths past papers with remaining time left over.

As for Physics its the same for #.1 + #.2 above but also then reviewing anything else.
My issue is that I'm going to run out of past paper resources for Physics very very soon (estimated late March/early April) whereas with Maths there are more than enough resources to exhaust.

I'm doing C1-4, M1 + S2(I'm doing S2 because I scored good at S1 but want S2 to be my insurance module if I mess up in M1)

I am currently resitting. I did all of maths A level in one year but it did not go well and so I am now retaking all of the modules. I had never heard of that website, I tend to use the Solomon Papers as well for maths as they are deemed to be harder.

I'm fortunate that for me papers go back to 2009 although I'm going to need more than what is available. My theory is that by the time I have done all of them I will be able to go back to the beginning and try them all again. I really need to focus on my physics unit 2 and unit 4 notes as these are really sub-par/non-existent. Then I will get on to past papers and summary questions etc.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your grades last year and what are your targets this year?
I am currently resitting. I did all of maths A level in one year but it did not go well and so I am now retaking all of the modules. I had never heard of that website, I tend to use the Solomon Papers as well for maths as they are deemed to be harder.

I'm fortunate that for me papers go back to 2009 although I'm going to need more than what is available. My theory is that by the time I have done all of them I will be able to go back to the beginning and try them all again. I really need to focus on my physics unit 2 and unit 4 notes as these are really sub-par/non-existent. Then I will get on to past papers and summary questions etc.

If you don't mind me asking, what were your grades last year and what are your targets this year?

Oh, I see. Why did you do all of Maths in 1 year? I'm only going as far back as 2011 compared to 2008 as I won't have any time left over to do Madasmaths papers, which are more crucial for me than doing further back papers. I came across the Madasmaths website from a renowned Maths expert on this website. :shh:

I used solomon papers during my AS maths and they put me off completely as I found their content a bit alien. Madasmaths papers are more challenging and in chronological order of difficulty + within Edexcel syllabus = more resources. :heart:

A2 grades were BBC in maths, physics and history. Wbu?
I'm resitting Maths and Physics and hold offers from UCL/KCL(A*A*C=AAA average)

My past papers are showing potential just need to develop speed thats all. Wbu? How's everything going for you? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending