The Student Room Group

What are your slightly unrealistic goals in life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iwishicouldfly14
But how likely is it that the constitution will be amended?

Not very. :colondollar:

And I can't get an A in French.
Even if I got full marks in my exams, I still can't get an A

Ah, I see. Well, you can get the next best grade, then. :smile:
get into stanford/harvard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hydeman
Not very. :colondollar:

Ah, I see. Well, you can get the next best grade, then. :smile:

I just made a mistake in my calculations, without taking into consideration how the change in UMS/Raw Mark each year, I can get an A.... but I can only lose 1 or 2 marks in my exams.... so it is almost impossible...
But still
Original post by TheMasterofLife
GOALS
- Get all A*s in GCSEs and A-Levels/IB Diploma
- Get a Medicine Degree at Oxbridge
- Become a world renowned CEO or MD for a Science/Technology Based Company
- Study Law after Medicine - at Oxbridge too
- Become a Politician in the UK - maybe become Mayor of London or the Prime Minister (first Asian one, fingers crossed)
- Qualify to become a Cardiology, Gynaecology or Neurology Consultant in the NHS
- Become a CMO for England
- Try to become a Stock Broker - and work with a large client base
- Become world famous and rich - hence, own a super yacht and lots of mansions
- Start and run a successful business
- Try to become part of the UN and be a political activist
- Win a Nobel Prize (or Nobel Peace Prize)
- Work towards ending world poverty and child labour
- Find cure for diseases such as types of Cancer.

THEN, WORLD DOMINATION :colone:

Being a stock broker is a dead career goal that isn't needed anymore (most equity traders execute trades via software now). Stick to trading derivative products.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really want to be able to juggle volunteering with the Police's special constabulary, whilst still managing to keep both hands on my career, family, etc...
Reply 245
Original post by Princepieman
Being a stock broker is a dead career goal that isn't needed anymore (most equity traders execute trades via software now). Stick to trading derivative products.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I totally get where youre coming from
Accumulate 1-1.5 mill in assets during my lifetime
Reply 247
complete my art history degree and then become an architect (+7 years)
Reply 248
Original post by tolulah
get into stanford/harvard

Posted from TSR Mobile

what are your present grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you please expand on what that means? I am only 15 and I am completely unaware of the stock market. Can I still do it if I study medicine?
Original post by TheMasterofLife
Can you please expand on what that means? I am only 15 and I am completely unaware of the stock market. Can I still do it if I study medicine?

Brokers are basically just execution guys for the traders at banks/hedge funds, they don't actively manage any money. When a trader wants to buy x amount of a security, they'll ring up their broker to get the trade placed. The broker would make commission on the trade being place through them.

Stocks are now so commonplace that these very same traders mostly just input how much they want/whether it's a buy or sell into a computer and that computer places the trade for them. Don't get me wrong, brokers still exist for derivative products that aren't as easy to trade/aren't on an exchange. These products still require the usual phoning up/messaging brokers for them to be executed.

The main takeaway is, traders take on risk (using money to make calls on movements in the markets), they'll ultimately see a return on their trades. Brokers are only in it to make commission. Think of a real estate agent, they aren't the ones buying/selling the house but they're the ones facilitating the transaction - that's what brokers (and investment bankers actually but they do it for massive companies rather than bits of companies/stocks) do.

EDIT: yes, you can become a trader/securities researcher with a med degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
well, i 'feel' like this is unrealistic, because im NOWHERE close to it but, i want to be head of compliance at one of the big investment banks

again, maybe not unrealistic, but i really have no clue how im gonna get there, im a few weeks away from starting an IT job..?

my real slightly unrealistic goal is to be getting paid a BASIC salary of 750k a year to sit on my ass all day and do nothing, i have no doubt ill make 500k in my lifetime, but i know ill have to work and stress for it.

But the day that i get an offer letter which states 'You will be paid a basic salary of £750,000...' ... is the day i will be certain, without a doubt, that i am dreaming and probably need to get the f*** up and go to work :/
Original post by KungPooPanda
well, i 'feel' like this is unrealistic, because im NOWHERE close to it but, i want to be head of compliance at one of the big investment banks

again, maybe not unrealistic, but i really have no clue how im gonna get there, im a few weeks away from starting an IT job..?

my real slightly unrealistic goal is to be getting paid a BASIC salary of 750k a year to sit on my ass all day and do nothing, i have no doubt ill make 500k in my lifetime, but i know ill have to work and stress for it.

But the day that i get an offer letter which states 'You will be paid a basic salary of £750,000...' ... is the day i will be certain, without a doubt, that i am dreaming and probably need to get the f*** up and go to work :/

How do you plan on making £750k/year without bonuses? Don't think compliance heads can get a base of that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To sleep with a Victoria's Secret model

Posted from TSR Mobile
To create at least $1bn on my own

Granted I'll have a head start with my dad's $bns but it would be gratifying to get there myself too
Original post by RomanKing
To sleep with a Victoria's Secret model

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol

Might want to bulk up first m9
Reply 256
I would like to buy my own house in the South East of England.
Reply 257
Original post by Serine Soul
I thought your goal would be to establish global communism or something

A global commonwealth would be cool.
How do you plan on making £750k/year without bonuses? Don't think compliance heads can get a base of that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, when i wrote 750k a year i had a completely different image in my head from compliance head or regulator lol

I imagined myself in a beautiful office playing miniature golf and drinking, while making decisions that will effect me in noway, but would undoubtably effect plenty of other people who i clearly wouldn't care about

A Compliance head can probably make anywhere between 50-150k, and i don't think thats an unrealistic salary bracket if your determined, BUT, I personally just don't see how I am going to get there, I have the right degree for it, but im in my 20's and about to start the wrong kind of job if you want to be in compliance or be a regulator lol
To be motivated enough to do 3-5 hours of PRODUCTIVE work each day

Quick Reply

Latest