The Student Room Group

What to do with £40,000 Savings?

I am 19 taking a gap year and have saved up £40,000 from working full-time since I was 16 whilst at school , saving 100% of any money I came into and getting involved in something that I now regret but it made me a huge amount of money for my age.

I am thinking of purchasing a Buy to Let Property with a 40% Deposit , however I know very little about investing and other options. I am looking for a long-term return over about 15 years with regular passive income.

Scroll to see replies

hookers and coke
Reply 2
Original post by BioStudentx
hookers and coke

I'm looking to invest my money
Reply 3
Original post by KevinGates
I came into and getting involved in something that I now regret but it made me a huge amount of money for my age.

Drugs? Prostitution?
Reply 4
Original post by Shumaya
Drugs? Prostitution?

I'm male if that answers your question.
Reply 5
Giving financial advice is a regulated activity...
Start a business
Put it into an asset management or a savings account.
Do the buy-to-let thing? Investing in property is always the best. But you could easily put deposit(s) down for house(s), and get clients in who willl pay more rent than the mortgage costs. Then you'll have a wee bit of income, and in a couple of decades when it's paid off, you can sell the house for many times more than your deposit was.
I am 19 taking a gap year and have saved up £40,000 from working full-time since I was 16 whilst at school , saving 100% of any money I came into and getting involved in something that I now regret but it made me a huge amount of money for my age.

I am thinking of purchasing a Buy to Let Property with a 40% Deposit , however I know very little about investing and other options. I am looking for a long-term return over about 15 years with regular passive income.

Credit card fraud?
Reply 10
Original post by MildredMalone
Do the buy-to-let thing? Investing in property is always the best. But you could easily put deposit(s) down for house(s), and get clients in who willl pay more rent than the mortgage costs. Then you'll have a wee bit of income, and in a couple of decades when it's paid off, you can sell the house for many times more than your deposit was.

Would that be advantageous opposed to buying one property on a 40% deposit
the name's Bond...

Premium Bond
Reply 12
Original post by multieman
Credit card fraud?

No way lol far too complicated for me
No way lol far too complicated for me

So then what?
Yup, definitely use the £40,000 as a deposit for a property. The value of properties in the UK (London, in particular) are guaranteed to appreciate significantly over the next 15 or so years. So it's certainly a worthwhile investment

P.S. Great username by the way haha

buy to let is a risk with the current predictions for the rise in stamp duty i would look at if you want something that is paying you would be an investment i a small business where you could double or triple the investment maybe more something in a growth market or a franchise like high-end jewellery and watches or a pawnbrokers which are spreading like wildfire right now if you want passive or i know how to get stuff if you want an active role trading good jewellery to the trade like i do (i am taking 5kg of gold chains on memo and have 5 rolexes in shipping to me to resell for a 150-200% mark-up over cost)
40k at 19? Jesus you worked your ass off props to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Leking9
Yup, definitely use the £40,000 as a deposit for a property. The value of properties in the UK (London, in particular) are guaranteed to appreciate significantly over the next 15 or so years. So it's certainly a worthwhile investment

P.S. Great username by the way haha

if u know u know how I made my money lol
Reply 18
Original post by jamesthehustler
buy to let is a risk with the current predictions for the rise in stamp duty i would look at if you want something that is paying you would be an investment i a small business where you could double or triple the investment maybe more something in a growth market or a franchise like high-end jewellery and watches or a pawnbrokers which are spreading like wildfire right now if you want passive or i know how to get stuff if you want an active role trading good jewellery to the trade like i do (i am taking 5kg of gold chains on memo and have 5 rolexes in shipping to me to resell for a 150-200% mark-up over cost)

I have an interest in jewellery and would like to know how exactly this works?
Visit countries like Canada, USA and Japan. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending