The Student Room Group

Polar differentiation AND integration?!?!?!

A curve is defined by the polar equation r=1+cosθ,0θ<2π r=1+\cos \theta, 0 \leqslant \theta < 2\pi
The tangents to the curve when r=1 meet at a single point.
Find the area of the region that lies inside the triangle formed by the tangents and the y axis, but outside the area bounded by the curve and the y axis.
I got the area as 3-3π/4
Is this correct??
Reply 1
Original post by Ano123
A curve is defined by the polar equation r=1+cosθ,0θ<2π r=1+\cos \theta, 0 \leqslant \theta < 2\pi
Find the area of the region that lies inside the triangle formed by the tangents and the y axis, but outside the area bounded by the curve and the y axis.
I got the area as 3-3π/4
Is this correct??

@Zacken
@16Characters....
@EricPiphany
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ano123
I got the area as 3-3π/4
Is this correct??

I also got this.
Reply 3
Original post by 16Characters....
I also got this.

It's a nice question don't you think?
Original post by Ano123
It's a nice question don't you think?

It was a nice question. Tested quite a few different ideas but was not too long and it "flowed", unlike some questions which just force concepts together.
WP_20160227_14_41_26_Pro.jpg
got tagged here by teeEm. Finally maths I can actually do :P
A vertical line touches the curve r=a(1+cos(θ))r=a(1+\cos(\theta)) at two points. Show that the area enclosed between the line and the curve is equal to
Unparseable latex formula:

\diaplaystyle a^2\left(\frac{15\sqrt{3}}{16}-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by EricPiphany
A vertical line touches the curve r=a(1+cos(θ))r=a(1+\cos(\theta)) at two points. Show that the area enclosed between the line and the curve is equal to

\diaplaystyle a^2\left(\frac{15\sqrt{3}}{16}-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)

OMG, I actually managed to do this. :ahee:

x=rcosθ=arcosθ(1+cosθ)x=0    sinθ(1+2cosθ)=0x = r\cos \theta = ar\cos \theta(1 + \cos\theta) \Rightarrow x' = 0 \iff \sin \theta (1 + 2\cos \theta) = 0

The two values that concern us are: θ=4π3\theta = \frac{4\pi}{3} and θ=2π3\theta = \frac{2\pi}{3}

The are bounded in the polar curve (using symmetry) is then:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}a^2\int_{2\pi/3}^{\pi} (1 + \cos \theta)^2 \, \mathrm{d}\theta = \frac{a^2}{8}\left(4\pi - 7\sqrt{3}\right)\end{equation*}

Now draw the lines corresponding to the two arguments and we get a triangle that has area

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\frac{1}{2} \times \frac{a}{2} \times \frac{a}{2} \times \sin \frac{2\pi}{3} = \frac{a^2\sqrt{3}}{16}\end{equation*}

So the area required is given by:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} \frac{a^2}{8}\left(4\pi - 7\sqrt{3}\right) - \frac{a^2\sqrt{3}}{16} = \frac{a^2}{8}\left(\frac{15\sqrt{3}}{16} - \frac{\pi}{2}\right)\end{equation*}

as required.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
OMG, I actually managed to do this. :ahee:

x=rcosθ=arcosθ(1+cosθ)x=0    sinθ(1+2cosθ)=0x = r\cos \theta = ar\cos \theta(1 + \cos\theta) \Rightarrow x' = 0 \iff \sin \theta (1 + 2\cos \theta) = 0

The two values that concern us are: θ=4π3\theta = \frac{4\pi}{3} and θ=2π3\theta = \frac{2\pi}{3}

The are bounded in the polar curve (using symmetry) is then:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}a^2\int_{2\pi/3}^{\pi} (1 + \cos \theta)^2 \, \mathrm{d}\theta = \frac{a^2}{8}\left(4\pi - 7\sqrt{3}\right)\end{equation*}

Now draw the lines corresponding to the two arguments and we get a triangle that has area

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\frac{1}{2} \times \frac{a}{2} \times \frac{a}{2} \times \sin \frac{2\pi}{3} = \frac{a^2\sqrt{3}}{16}\end{equation*}

So the area required is given by:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} \frac{a^2}{8}\left(4\pi - 7\sqrt{3}\right) - \frac{a^2\sqrt{3}}{16} = \frac{a^2}{8}\left(\frac{15\sqrt{3}}{16} - \frac{\pi}{2}\right)\end{equation*}

as required.

Very good, and extra credit for latexing it up :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by EricPiphany
Very good, and extra credit for latexing it up :smile:

Thanks for this! I learnt quite a bit about polar shiz from doing it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest