The Student Room Group

Have you ever thought about giving blood?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not eligible to give blood unfortunately.
I have a serious fear of needles so it's a no go for me :frown:
i think that they should offer £10 a go to donors... the rate would soon rise !

in America you get paid to donate blood ?
I think if the NHS want more people to donate blood they should remove their homophobic restrictions.
Great thread :h:

Original post by the bear

Why? You get everything you need, water, food, the actual process which costs money... if anything, we should be funding them more, not getting them to lose money! Giving blood is usually a very simple process and takes about half an hour, and then you get on with your day - I'm sure if your friends/family needed blood, you'd do it for free, and it may well be that your blood helps them at some point in the future.

Are you planning to pay when you need blood too?
Reply 206
Original post by iEthan
…or have you ever given blood before? Donating blood is an amazing thing to do and you can do it in the knowledge that you're definitely going to be helping someone who desperately needs it. According to the NHS, less than 3% of us give blood but approximately 1 in 5 of us will need a blood transfusion at some point in our lives. They usually rely on the same people repetitively donating. I think if more people knew about the process, it might get more people donating!

I understand that some people mightn't be sure of the whole process so I'll give you a bit of background information in spoilers :wink:

What're your thoughts on blood donation? I'd love to know your thoughts on this issue!

Ethan :h:

Q&A's:

Spoiler

I would give blood more but they sent me away because I am slightly anaemic, previously got rejected because of visits to different countries and before that I didn't fit the age/weight requirement etc. I will never get to the 100 donation mark at this rate :frown:
Original post by super_kawaii
I'm not eligible to give blood unfortunately.

That's really unfortunate! But it's the thought that counts :yep: have you ever thought about signing up to the organ donor register? It's a great compromise! :excited:

Original post by Darkphilosopher
I have a serious fear of needles so it's a no go for me :frown:

Needle phobia is completely understandable! I took a friend with me because of it but the whole process has completely desensitised me to needles now! :h:

I have to agree with the quote below on this one, bear :frown:

Original post by BurstingBubbles
Great thread :h:

Why? You get everything you need, water, food, the actual process which costs money... if anything, we should be funding them more, not getting them to lose money! Giving blood is usually a very simple process and takes about half an hour, and then you get on with your day - I'm sure if your friends/family needed blood, you'd do it for free, and it may well be that your blood helps them at some point in the future.

Agree with you! Thanks btw :h:

Original post by KIC
I would give blood more but they sent me away because I am slightly anaemic, previously got rejected because of visits to different countries and before that I didn't fit the age/weight requirement etc. I will never get to the 100 donation mark at this rate :frown:

You can always pop in and have your haemoglobin levels checked again! Don't worry, your determination is really admirable! Are you an organ donor? :h:
Original post by nonon41
I think if the NHS want more people to donate blood they should remove their homophobic restrictions.

I agree with this, but I assume it costs a fair amount to screen each donation, and male homosexual activities increase the risk (although I fear this is somewhat outdated) of STIs such as HIV, and therefore it's a cost effective cut. I believe there was some talk about removing this rule though, I'm not sure how far they have got.
If I didn't have a needle phobia and had to have blood as a baby I would think about giving blood.

I'm on the organ register though. :smile:
I've always intended to give blood once I can :tongue:
The fact that my blood could drastically help someone's life is a really nice thought to have.
Reply 211
Original post by iEthan
That's really unfortunate! But it's the thought that counts :yep: have you ever thought about signing up to the organ donor register? It's a great compromise! :excited:

Needle phobia is completely understandable! I took a friend with me because of it but the whole process has completely desensitised me to needles now! :h:

I have to agree with the quote below on this one, bear :frown:

Agree with you! Thanks btw :h:

You can always pop in and have your haemoglobin levels checked again! Don't worry, your determination is really admirable! Are you an organ donor? :h:

Yep- and in a few years will become a bone marrow one too :smile:
Original post by iEthan

I've had a hell of a lot of needles in the past, I can't see myself getting desensitised any time soon :3
I'd like to, but I'd not sure I'm able to, due to the medication I'm on.
Original post by offhegoes
Whilst you're there, ask about registering as a bone marrow doner.

Tasty
Original post by Midnightmemories
If I didn't have a needle phobia and had to have blood as a baby I would think about giving blood.

I'm on the organ register though. :smile:

It's still amazing that you're on the organ donation register! :excited: Well done for doing something so generous!

Original post by hxfsxh
I've always intended to give blood once I can :tongue:
The fact that my blood could drastically help someone's life is a really nice thought to have.

Completely agree! :h:

Original post by KIC
Yep- and in a few years will become a bone marrow one too :smile:

That's amazing! Well done :excited:

Original post by Darkphilosopher
I've had a hell of a lot of needles in the past, I can't see myself getting desensitised any time soon :3

Ahhhh I understand, don't worry about it :h: there's always organ donation :yep:
Original post by XMaramena
Tasty

Tasty, but hard to get away from the impression that you're essentially eating pure molten fat.

My bone marrow is available to free for those in need, or £50 for those who just fancy a taste*.

*Offer includes bottle of house wine
(edited 8 years ago)
If you don't get paid its ********.
Original post by offhegoes
Whilst you're there, ask about registering as a bone marrow doner.

You can do that here with the Anthony Nolan Trust. They are amazing and saved one of my friends' lives!

https://www.anthonynolan.org/apply-join-bone-marrow-register
Original post by PaediatricStN
You can do that here with the Anthony Nolan Trust. They are amazing and saved one of my friends' lives!

https://www.anthonynolan.org/apply-join-bone-marrow-register

True, and good link, but I believe I'm a year too old to register with them (31)! A few other organisations will register people up to age 49 though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest