The Student Room Group

when should I start revising and how? a levels.

I have 9 exams :
1 english
4 chemistry (2 resits)
4 biology (2 resits)

when should I begin hard-core revision and how do i revise for resits? :/ I can't seem to find time to revise for resits as I'm busy with my A2

thanks anyone who responds :biggrin: x
Original post by aladdin818
I have 9 exams :
1 english
4 chemistry (2 resits)
4 biology (2 resits)

when should I begin hard-core revision and how do i revise for resits? :/ I can't seem to find time to revise for resits as I'm busy with my A2

thanks anyone who responds :biggrin: x

Start from mid march latest, for chem do EVERY past paper atleast twice. For bio you can memorise the mark schemes.

Not sure about english as i didnt do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by s_ahmed2
Start from mid march latest, for chem do EVERY past paper atleast twice. For bio you can memorise the mark schemes.

Not sure about english as i didnt do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you suggest I do notes for chemistry/biology (I have started).. or do you think it's a waste of time and I should move onto past papers and memorising mark scheme?

Also do I do past papers with mark scheme first or straight into it, do the best that I can ? Cause rn, i don't think I will know anything :[
NOW
it will make it easier later
Do you suggest I do notes for chemistry/biology (I have started).. or do you think it's a waste of time and I should move onto past papers and memorising mark scheme?

Also do I do past papers with mark scheme first or straight into it, do the best that I can ? Cause rn, i don't think I will know anything :[

Well you should have a decent idea of things from class.

If you are doing ocr b then first do all the exercises from alevelchemistry. Then start past papers straight, without the mark scheme. Mark the paper and see the topics which you need to revise and revise those areas. Keep doing this till exams. I got to a stage where I did 8 chem papers one day before the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I know.. but my teachers are rubbish - so Im basically teaching myself EVERYTHING for biology and chemistry :frown: Also Im doing WJEC and you did 8 past papers 1 day before the exam or everyday you did 8 past papers till the exam? Thanks a lot for your help :smile: appreciate it

Original post by s_ahmed2
Well you should have a decent idea of things from class.

If you are doing ocr b then first do all the exercises from alevelchemistry. Then start past papers straight, without the mark scheme. Mark the paper and see the topics which you need to revise and revise those areas. Keep doing this till exams. I got to a stage where I did 8 chem papers one day before the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'm having the same problem, I don't know when to start or how much I should be doing?Also I'm finding the qs very difficult this year even thought I understand the content :frown:

I started doing my notes from October/November ready for Feb/March. But it's however you learn really.
Some people HAVE to write out notes (like myself), whereas others can write minimal notes and revise the rest from books/powerpoints etc.
I think past paper qs are ESSENTIAL as you'll notice repetition in the questions asked - especially bio and chem.
Try find booklets of questions for each individual topic, that way you will try every style of question out there. Try physicsandmathstutor.com do not let the name fool you, they have CHEM & BIO revision material!

Personally, I've tried questions and I'm making silly mistakes or given the wrong answer completely which is making me very anxious because exams are so close :frown: But I think it's all about doing qs over and over again and looking at mark schemes to see what the examiners really want- even if it isn't exactly what's in books or you've been taught!

I have 8 exams (not including practical exams)
3 chem (one resit),
3 physics (one resit)
2 bio

Hope this helps and if anyone has any advice on how to develop exam technique that would be great!
Reply 7
Original post by k_xx1
I'm having the same problem, I don't know when to start or how much I should be doing?Also I'm finding the qs very difficult this year even thought I understand the content :frown:

I started doing my notes from October/November ready for Feb/March. But it's however you learn really.
Some people HAVE to write out notes (like myself), whereas others can write minimal notes and revise the rest from books/powerpoints etc.
I think past paper qs are ESSENTIAL as you'll notice repetition in the questions asked - especially bio and chem.
Try find booklets of questions for each individual topic, that way you will try every style of question out there. Try physicsandmathstutor.com do not let the name fool you, they have CHEM & BIO revision material!

Personally, I've tried questions and I'm making silly mistakes or given the wrong answer completely which is making me very anxious because exams are so close :frown: But I think it's all about doing qs over and over again and looking at mark schemes to see what the examiners really want- even if it isn't exactly what's in books or you've been taught!

I have 8 exams (not including practical exams)
3 chem (one resit),
3 physics (one resit)
2 bio

Hope this helps and if anyone has any advice on how to develop exam technique that would be great!

Ah man, I feel you! I feel like I'm leaving this till too late.. and I'm exactly the same I NEED to write notes before I can dive into past papers etc. I think from now I will be strict on myself and spend the time before 12pm on writing notes/highlighting and after that on mark schemes/past papers! I say that but hopefully I actually do it! lol D: I hope exams go well for you and if you needa pour your feelings out PM me! ;D
Reply 8
Ah man, I feel you! I feel like I'm leaving this till too late.. and I'm exactly the same I NEED to write notes before I can dive into past papers etc. I think from now I will be strict on myself and spend the time before 12pm on writing notes/highlighting and after that on mark schemes/past papers! I say that but hopefully I actually do it! lol D: I hope exams go well for you and if you needa pour your feelings out PM me! ;D

It's actually quite sad, I miss AS. A2 papers are just something else. And I say the same every night or during the school day but when I get home I cba and fall asleep so yeah my timetable is GREAT rn :colondollar: back at you, hope it all goes well for you too!!
I know.. but my teachers are rubbish - so Im basically teaching myself EVERYTHING for biology and chemistry :frown: Also Im doing WJEC and you did 8 past papers 1 day before the exam or everyday you did 8 past papers till the exam? Thanks a lot for your help :smile: appreciate it

There's only so much you can blame the teachers lol. Just focus on past papers. What I meant was I did all the papers three times for chem before the exam. Also increase your exam speed, I got to a stage where I was doing 1h15 papers in 40 mins, that way you won't run out of time in the exam.

That's just my technique, not sure if it will work for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by k_xx1
It's actually quite sad, I miss AS. A2 papers are just something else. And I say the same every night or during the school day but when I get home I cba and fall asleep so yeah my timetable is GREAT rn :colondollar: back at you, hope it all goes well for you too!!

Yeah, when you do A2, AS feels like a joke.

One of the main obstacles I found was procrastination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are doing the closed book English exam, then look at past papers and figure out the kind of themes they're likely to ask. Then memorise quotes for a variety of themes. It'll be really hard, but honestly you should remember analysis and interpretations at this point, so quotes are the only thing you need to memorise
Original post by supernerdural
If you are doing the closed book English exam, then look at past papers and figure out the kind of themes they're likely to ask. Then memorise quotes for a variety of themes. It'll be really hard, but honestly you should remember analysis and interpretations at this point, so quotes are the only thing you need to memorise

ah thanks! I am doing closed book - Hamlet & revengers - I'll start having a look at themes/past papers:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest