The Student Room Group

Is this sexist to have women only times in swimming pools?

Earlier today I was having a swimming session at my local gym, I go there 3 times a week, today I went later than usual. I was there about half a hour when a female member of staff told me to get out, because there is women only now. I asked is for mothers or pregnant women, she said no. I don't understand why all men should get out when the pool is big enough for everyone. I told her that men just come here to excercise they're not interested in women and respect have to share the pool. So all the men had to get out even though none of were harming anyone.

Do think this is fair? Should I make a complaint? Just annoys me that still have much a gender divide over something silly as this.

Scroll to see replies

Just say you have a vagina but look like a man and swim when ever you want.
Reply 2
I agree that it is unfair that there is a woman's only but not a men's only. However some women are not allowed to exercise in front of men for religious reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by LonelyDemon
Earlier today I was having a swimming session at my local gym, I go there 3 times a week, today I went later than usual. I was there about half a hour when a female member of staff told me to get out, because there is women only now. I asked is for mothers or pregnant women, she said no. I don't understand why all men should get out when the pool is big enough for everyone. I told her that men just come here to excercise they're not interested in women and respect have to share the pool. So all the men had to get out even though none of were harming anyone.

Do think this is fair? Should I make a complaint? Just annoys me that still have much a gender divide over something silly as this.

I think women only sessions are important and I go to them. I think a lot of muslim women need them as they would not want to be so exposed in front of men (as far as I am aware anyway). For me, I have PTSD and a women only space is important for me. Maybe YOU only go there to excersize but plenty of men make women feel uncomfortable by making remarks, sitting staring for ages etc. I have had a male who was next to me in the pool and he ducked under water and was just there looking at my body. Other females have said things like this have happened to them as well. A lot of women might also just have confidence issues and feel really conscious swimming infront of men. Might not be logical or whatever you want to argue but the women only sessions are useful for quite a few of us. If you want equality then ask for a male only session rather than taking away the female sessions.
I suppose whichever way you slice it and whatever reasons there are for it, it's giving a right to one gender but not to the other so yes I suppose it is sexist.
I completely agree. At my local pool I asked the manager why they had women only sessions (and no men only sessions) and he said that the local authoritys aim was to increase public participation in sport- and more women participate if there are women only sessions.
I understand their point but it still seems outdated. Women should not feel uncomfortble exercising with men present....

make a complaint? literally every leasure centre have female only pool/exercise sessions for religious reasons, why dont you research it first before getting on your high horse?
Reply 7
Say you identify as a woman. I've been told on this website that "some girls have cocks".
Reply 8
No, it's not fair. But safe spaces as a whole aren't fair but they aren't going anywhere because somehow women still think they are oppressed in 1st world countries.
I don't think it's unfair to have women only sessions but for equality there should be a male equivalent as well
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
I dont like that either. If there's women only hours, then what about men only hours smh
Reply 11
omg u don't understand women r oppressed stop being so bigoted
If you really care about male rights you would be fighting against the fact their are boys in third world countries being forced to fight as child soldiers. Not complaining about your pathetic none issues men face in western countries like not being able to use swimming poll one evening a week.
(edited 8 years ago)

In my experience sexism is only a one way street. Women can't be sexist to men.
Original post by Justmoll28
make a complaint? literally every leasure centre have female only pool/exercise sessions for religious reasons, why dont you research it first before getting on your high horse?

Just because other places do it doesn't make it right.
Original post by Jenx301
I think women only sessions are important and I go to them. I think a lot of muslim women need them as they would not want to be so exposed in front of men (as far as I am aware anyway). For me, I have PTSD and a women only space is important for me. Maybe YOU only go there to excersize but plenty of men make women feel uncomfortable by making remarks, sitting staring for ages etc. I have had a male who was next to me in the pool and he ducked under water and was just there looking at my body. Other females have said things like this have happened to them as well. A lot of women might also just have confidence issues and feel really conscious swimming infront of men. Might not be logical or whatever you want to argue but the women only sessions are useful for quite a few of us. If you want equality then ask for a male only session rather than taking away the female sessions.

Everyone has body issues even the most healthy people feel uncomfortable when people look at you. I get people looking at me because I have loads of scars on my body but I just get on with it. Only small minority of men will do that but women can't say they never looked at a passing man. I don't want a male only session in case women want to use the pool.

As for people saying for religious reasons, I understand that but it's a public venue then should people should able to use when they want. Places like that have to have cctv and a guard so men might see regardless. I do understand how might be hard for Muslim women.
No, as long as there are the same number of men/male only hours. It does seem to be ageist though, since girls can't take part in the women only times and possibly the equivalent statement for males.
Everyone has body issues even the most healthy people feel uncomfortable when people look at you. I get people looking at me because I have loads of scars on my body but I just get on with it. Only small minority of men will do that but women can't say they never looked at a passing man. I don't want a male only session in case women want to use the pool.

As for people saying for religious reasons, I understand that but it's a public venue then should people should able to use when they want. Places like that have to have cctv and a guard so men might see regardless. I do understand how might be hard for Muslim women.

Yes that's true - it was more about the other issues I just said that as it is a reason some women prefer to swim with only other women. Just because you can "just get on with it" doesn't mean everyone can. It's not about looking at a passing person..... it is people literally staring at you and making comments on your body - wouldn't that make you feel uncomfortable? Women who are religious/have these issues should be able to take part in swimming and other activities, if there is something that can help them engage then that's great. We want to encourage more people to take part in sport not ignore barriers that are very real for some women. Just because some things are not an issue for you doesn't make it the same for everyone. These are very real problems and there has been a solution put in place.

If you don't want a male only session then fine - don't have one. Doesn't mean that women don't want one or shouldn't have one.
Hardly any men would go to men only sessions but women go to women only because they feel more comfortable or for religious reasons. I know that most times I go to a pool men will make me feel uncomfortable and I know i'm not the only one so it is important to have women only sessions. If you want men only sessions you should ask because i'm sure if enough men wanted to go there would be one. Also it isn't like it's always women only sessions and it encourages more women to go ad get fit.
(edited 8 years ago)
people are literally arguing for (and defending) segregation and discrimination based on gender.....

like.. honestly.

and you tell me that sexism is an outdated concept

Latest