The Student Room Group

DIhedral Group/Cosets question

Okay, so i've managed to answer part a of the question however part b is confusing me...image1 (1).JPG
the part with the cosets?? How do i go abouts finding these cosets, it'd be very much appreciated if someone could show me an example of how to find one of the cosets...cheers thanks for any help !

@Zacken
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by maths10101
Okay, so i've managed to answer part a of the question however part b is confusing me...image1 (1).JPG
the part with the cosets?? How do i go abouts finding these cosets, it'd be very much appreciated if someone could show me an example of how to find one of the cosets...cheers thanks for any help !

@Zacken

For each gGg \in G, your group, you need to find {gh:hH}\{ gh : h \in H \} i.e. you form a set where you have composed gg with every element in HH so each coset will have the same number of elements as HH.

Not all of the cosets will be distinct. I think that the most efficient method to find the distinct cosets is to start with a gGg \in G where gHg \notin H, then repeat that process until the cosets start to repeat.
Reply 3
Ahh cool, I'll give that a go now mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Quick Reply

Latest