The Student Room Group

Can I take the IGCSE or A level internationally and independently?

I am a year 11 studying in Australia. I want to take the IGCSE or A level. Is it possible for me to do so? I want to do it independently, is it like the SAT where I can just apply for an exam? I have been on the website and it doesn't say much. Cheers!
Reply 1
Original post by bobyht
I am a year 11 studying in Australia. I want to take the IGCSE or A level. Is it possible for me to do so? I want to do it independently, is it like the SAT where I can just apply for an exam? I have been on the website and it doesn't say much. Cheers!

You need to find an exam centre willing to accept you to take the exams. You don't say whether you've been looking at taking exams with Edexcel or CIE, but you may find some useful Edexcel info here: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/demo/en/support/support-topics/understanding-our-qualifications/find-a-pearson-centre.html Look on the CIE website for stuff too. In many countries abroad it is the British Council who helps with candidates taking IGCSEs and A levels. I don't know if that applies ian Australia. http://www.britishcouncil.org.au/exam
Reply 2
Hello, thank you very much for replying. Is CIE Cambridge International Examinations website? I have looked on the Cambridge International Examinations and it says that it doesn't administer students and to do so you will need to contact the exam centre directly, one of which is the British Council. I also don't really understand what the Edexcel is, it doesn't give any data on administering for exams.

What is the difference between administering with Edexcel and the exam centre directly?

Also does the cost vary between exam centres?

And is the IGCSE a qualification for university or the International A - levels?

Thank you very much.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by bobyht
Is CIE Cambridge International Examinations website? .

Yes. http://www.cie.org.uk/cambridge-for/parents-and-students/exams-and-results/private-candidates/
Original post by bobyht
What is the difference between administering with Edexcel and the exam centre directly?
You can't do it with Edexcel directly. Whether you go for CIE or Edexcel you have to do it through an exam centre.
Original post by bobyht
Also does the cost vary between exam centres?
Yes and, in England at least, it can vary wildly,

Original post by bobyht
And is the IGCSE a qualification for university or the International A - levels?

In the UK you need A levels for university entrance but I believe it is possible to get into US universities with IGCSE.
Original post by bobyht

Why do you want to do IGCSE/A-Levels independently? Doesn't Australia do College catchup like America?

Quick Reply

Latest