The Student Room Group

Surrey or Loughborough for Computer Science

I'm trying to choose an insurance choice; which would be the better of these two? Surrey has the advantage in terms of employability, but Loughborough has the better facilities.

Anyone doing either of these courses that would recommend it?
Reply 1
Tough question... I'm also in a pickle too.
Newcastle or Leicester for Computer Sci/Computing.
They both have really good reputations and employability levels are high.

I guess it really depends on how you'll feel about the uni.
Better to come out with a first-class than a third or fail at a uni where its about reputation and not desire...
Original post by Dnkz7

Better to come out with a first-class than a third or fail at a uni where its about reputation and not desire...

Hey, you might wanna look at http://results.ref.ac.uk/Submissions/Impact/2205 and http://results.ref.ac.uk/Submissions/Impact/1964

This assessment is based on research output and impact and although that is not synonymous with better teaching it can help in getting an idea of how the two compare in terms of what the departments have focused on and achieved in the recent past.
How can one uni have better comp sci facilities?

Surely every uni that does computer science has great computers for undergraduates? What separates Surrey and Loughboroughs facilties?
Reply 4
Original post by Lawliettt
How can one uni have better comp sci facilities?

Surely every uni that does computer science has great computers for undergraduates? What separates Surrey and Loughboroughs facilties?

The computer labs are much more modern and nicer at Loughborough in my opinion.
The computer labs at Surrey were awful! Loughborough had much better facilities. Have you visited both places? I would encourage you to do so.
Reply 6
Original post by elfreda69
The computer labs at Surrey were awful! Loughborough had much better facilities. Have you visited both places? I would encourage you to do so.

Yeah, the labs don't look that great :K:

I suppose it depends on whether or not the ethic is to work from accommodation/the library, or to work from labs.
Original post by Mattari
Yeah, the labs don't look that great :K:

I suppose it depends on whether or not the ethic is to work from accommodation/the library, or to work from labs.

I just think that if you are going to be spending a considerable amount of time working in the labs, they should be somewhere you like going to. But, on the other hand, its very easy to get used to drab interiors and not notice them at all. It very much depends on the person. I was taken aback by the dark and drabness of the labs in Surrey Uni and could not imagine spending 20 - 50 hours a week there.
Original post by Dnkz7

Probably irrelevant, but pretty much the richest person I know did Computer Science at Newcastle.
Reply 9
Original post by sweeneyrod
Probably irrelevant, but pretty much the richest person I know did Computer Science at Newcastle.

Haha, interesting! What do they do right now and what sorta grade did they achieve in the end?
Original post by TrojanH
Haha, interesting! What do they do right now and what sorta grade did they achieve in the end?

Not sure what grade they got (it was quite a long time ago) but they mainly work as a technical consultant in court cases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending