The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Live at Clifton or City?

Hey!

I've got an unconditional to study Linguistics and Media at the Clifton Campus at NTU but I don't know whether to live on campus or live in the city and commute? some people say Clifton is boring and to live in the city (I like the look of Gill Street South and Byron) but others say it's too much hassle and to just live on Clifton Campus? Obviously it would be loads easier to live in Clifton but I don't want to be bored and missing out on nights out in the city etc. Any advice???

Cheers :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by // Jake
Hey!

I've got an unconditional to study Linguistics and Media at the Clifton Campus at NTU but I don't know whether to live on campus or live in the city and commute? some people say Clifton is boring and to live in the city (I like the look of Gill Street South and Byron) but others say it's too much hassle and to just live on Clifton Campus? Obviously it would be loads easier to live in Clifton but I don't want to be bored and missing out on nights out in the city etc. Any advice???

Hiya

Well my course is based in clifton so I stayed there first year then moved into city after that.... Tbh clifton is quite boring there is literally not much to do there but it is convenient for lectures and most other first years will stay on campus for that first year. You can get a bus into the city if you wanna do stuff during the day but it's a drag having to do that every time you wanna go somewhere decent lol. There is a pub nearby clifton campus, the SU and student shop on campus and a morrisons/tesco express nearby lol but that's about it. The commute isn't much of a commute if you live in city as you can just get the number 4 bus from city into clifton - it takes maybe 25 mins depending on traffic obvs. There are nights out at the point which is the SU on clifton campus but if you want to go on a night out in city you can just get a taxi and it will be cheap enough if there are a few of you. I used to pay maybe £2 to get a taxi into city on a night out. It's a bit of a drag but nothing that you can't deal with.

I would *probably* stay on clifton campus just for first year but i dont think it matters that much. This post makes it sound kinda rubbish but I still really enjoyed my first year living on campus :smile: Both have their good points
(edited 8 years ago)
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by // Jake
Hey!

Hi // Jake,

It's completely your decision on which one you prefer, and I can help you weigh up both the pro's and con's for both options.

Living in the city does mean there is lots of shops, pubs and clubs nearby. Also the transport links to Clifton campus are really good, with the number 4 bus running every 7 minutes during peak lecture times.

However if you have a 9 am, you will have to get up much earlier to catch the bus to Clifton campus, and it will take you more effort to get to uni compared to your friends living on Clifton campus. Also, the majority of your course mates will be based at Clifton campus/living on Clifton campus, so you may find that you will spend more time at Clifton campus then you planned (as well as lectures/seminars you may have group work you have to stay in Clifton campus for, or if your course mates want to have a drink in the SU after uni).

Clifton campus does have a great community feel with the the SU bar/nightclub, and (if you did decide to live there) all of your course mates/flatmates will be based here. Also, the amount of time you would spend travelling would decrease (as if you lived in the city you may have to get the bus to Clifton campus 4 out of the 7 days and depending on when your lectures/seminars are that could be twice a day unless you hang around!)

However, you are correct in saying that living on Clifton campus is not as easy as living on city site when it comes to going out on nights out/shopping etc.

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, let me know! :h:

Thanks,

Ellen
Reply 3
Original post by Jenx301
Hiya

Well my course is based in clifton so I stayed there first year then moved into city after that.... Tbh clifton is quite boring there is literally not much to do there but it is convenient for lectures and most other first years will stay on campus for that first year. You can get a bus into the city if you wanna do stuff during the day but it's a drag having to do that every time you wanna go somewhere decent lol. There is a pub nearby clifton campus, the SU and student shop on campus and a morrisons/tesco express nearby lol but that's about it. The commute isn't much of a commute if you live in city as you can just get the number 4 bus from city into clifton - it takes maybe 25 mins depending on traffic obvs. There are nights out at the point which is the SU on clifton campus but if you want to go on a night out in city you can just get a taxi and it will be cheap enough if there are a few of you. I used to pay maybe £2 to get a taxi into city on a night out. It's a bit of a drag but nothing that you can't deal with.

I would *probably* stay on clifton campus just for first year but i dont think it matters that much. This post makes it sound kinda rubbish but I still really enjoyed my first year living on campus :smile: Both have their good points

Hey! I am also struggling to find a good accommodation that is reasonably a good price. What would you say about New Hall? i'm looking for a sociable and outgoing area that is not too expensive to live in. Any suggestions apart from Gill street south and Byron?
Reply 4
Original post by Miri1234
Hey! I am also struggling to find a good accommodation that is reasonably a good price. What would you say about New Hall? i'm looking for a sociable and outgoing area that is not too expensive to live in. Any suggestions apart from Gill street south and Byron?

If you are staying on clifton campus then peverell is the cheapest. I haven't lived in New Hall but have visited friends there - it is a decent accomodation but more expensive.

In the city there are some decent priced private halls such as victoria hall - I loved staying there and it was only £89 per week. There are also places such as the glasshouse and IQ to check out although I believe you have to make payments before you get your student loan if you stay in IQ so check before you sign a contract. Victoria Hall is the cheapest I believe and the staff are lovely. There is phase 1 which is basically all freshers so I reckon you would do well there. The glasshouse is a nicer accomodation in general but slightly more expensive. Check out their websites or even go and have a viewing if possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending