The Student Room Group

Advice on accepting an offer

Hi, my name is Maria, and I am from Portugal. It has always been my dream to study Medicine, especially in London, so I applied this current year to London. The thing is I got accepted in none of my options choosen on UCAS. One of the universities though, asked me whether I wanted to make a course change instead, to Biomedical Sciences instead, in order to get a, possible but not guaranteed, further access to Medicine. I have just been noticed that I got accepted on Biomedical Sciences.
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on whether I should take the offer or not, and more importantly, whether the change to medicine is highly competitive. I want to hear your personal experiences and histories :smile:
Original post by Maria_ag97
Hi, my name is Maria, and I am from Portugal. It has always been my dream to study Medicine, especially in London, so I applied this current year to London. The thing is I got accepted in none of my options choosen on UCAS. One of the universities though, asked me whether I wanted to make a course change instead, to Biomedical Sciences instead, in order to get a, possible but not guaranteed, further access to Medicine. I have just been noticed that I got accepted on Biomedical Sciences.
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on whether I should take the offer or not, and more importantly, whether the change to medicine is highly competitive. I want to hear your personal experiences and histories :smile:

I have asked a mod to move this to the Medicine forum where you will get more helpful answers. :smile:
Reply 2
Hi, my name is Maria, and I am from Portugal. It has always been my dream to study Medicine, especially in London, so I applied this current year to London. The thing is I got accepted in none of my options choosen on UCAS. One of the universities though, asked me whether I wanted to make a course change instead, to Biomedical Sciences instead, in order to get a, possible but not guaranteed, further access to Medicine. I have just been noticed that I got accepted on Biomedical Sciences.I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on whether I should take the offer or not, and more importantly, whether the change to medicine is highly competitive. I want to hear your personal experiences and histories
Reply 3
Original post by SecretDuck
I have asked a mod to move this to the Medicine forum where you will get more helpful answers. :smile:

Thanks!
Hi, my name is Maria, and I am from Portugal. It has always been my dream to study Medicine, especially in London, so I applied this current year to London. The thing is I got accepted in none of my options choosen on UCAS. One of the universities though, asked me whether I wanted to make a course change instead, to Biomedical Sciences instead, in order to get a, possible but not guaranteed, further access to Medicine. I have just been noticed that I got accepted on Biomedical Sciences.I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on whether I should take the offer or not, and more importantly, whether the change to medicine is highly competitive. I want to hear your personal experiences and histories

You'd really be better off taking a gap year and reapplying. You'd have to complete the biomed degree and apply as a graduate, which is far more competitive than applying as an undergrad.

It sounds like perhaps you applied based on geography rather than applying to your strengths. When you reapply, try and apply to places that you're most likely to get an interview at (i.e. if you get a high UKCAT look at places like Newcastle and Southampton).
Reply 5
Original post by ForestCat
You'd really be better off taking a gap year and reapplying. You'd have to complete the biomed degree and apply as a graduate, which is far more competitive than applying as an undergrad.

It sounds like perhaps you applied based on geography rather than applying to your strengths. When you reapply, try and apply to places that you're most likely to get an interview at (i.e. if you get a high UKCAT look at places like Newcastle and Southampton).

Yes, I think I will do that; you are right! Thank you :smile:
@Maria_ag97 Porquê medicina em Londres? As faculdades de Portugal são ótimas (para medicina).

Why medicine in London? Portugal universities are great for that course
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
@Maria_ag97 Porquê medicina em Londres? As faculdades de Portugal são ótimas (para medicina).

Why medicine in London? Portugal universities are great for that course

I know, but I believe London has more prestige and offers a more wide range of oportunities in terms of being a doctor than Portugal. Besides, I have not been accepted in portugal this present year.

Eu sei, mas acho que Londres é um país que oferece muito mais oportunidades de emprego em relação a medicina. Para além disso, neste ano não fui aceite em Portugal.
(edited 5 years ago)
I know, but I believe London has more prestige and offers a more wide range of oportunities in terms of being a doctor than Portugal. Besides, I have not been accepted in portugal this present year.

Eu sei, mas acho que Londres é um país que oferece muito mais oportunidades de emprego em relação a medicina. Para além disso, neste ano não fui aceite em Portugal.

I believe it is way harder to get a offer in Medicine in the UK. All universities require volunteer work (or others) for medicine. Besides, you have to attend an interview at the university you choose before being actually accepted.

Make sure you have volunteer work before applying.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending