Scroll to see replies

Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by Dylann
Here are some other pics (part 2)

Dylann, thank you so much mate :smile: VM seems to be a great place and can't wait to meet you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by swissinuk
Do any of you play an instrument or sing? I'm really keen on starting a band.

Hello. I play piano and I am a baritone singer. I have never performed in a band before but I would love to try.
Reply 83
drgdrgdr
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by phoebe_cottam
If you Google it there are pictures, if that fails if you go on YouTube there are some open day videos and ignoring how cheesy they are they show you all the facilities

A new video is being made (I think). That video is ridiculously cheesy lol. Very old too.

Original post by JD7
The whole science site is at the most 10 minutes from Van Mildert (I've made it in 7 minutes uphill in the evenings when the road is deserted). The only factor that will influence your time getting there is the PEOPLE. Oh my god, the people. South Road (the hill leading from hill colleges down to Science site) gets absolutely clogged in the 10-15 minutes before a lecture and the pavement on both sides is really narrow so if you're leaving it late to get there be prepared to push past people. Having said that, your lectures might not all be at the Law faculty as everyone gets spread out, you might even have some at Elvet. I don't think anyone (except maybe Chemistry) have all the lectures in their own department.

Can confirm, Chemistry-lecture-same-building master race. Also, totally agree about South Road. Just leave a bit earlier and it's not too bad!

Original post by TelAviv
Allocated to Van Mildert for law.

Anyone here going to the open day(s) in a few weeks?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations on your offer! I won't be able to make the open day but there will be a great team to help show you around
Original post by Dylann
Here are some other pics (part 2)

Thank you! It looks really nice :smile:
Original post by Dylann
Hi, I have some put some pictures of a standard room on the facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/438939166316232/

Thank you! They're really helpful, the rooms look a lot nicer than I was expecting
Reply 88
Original post by phoebe_cottam
Thank you! They're really helpful, the rooms look a lot nicer than I was expecting

Those rooms are the most common, but Wear block (the block I'm in) has a different layout but no lounges or ovens
I'm coming to Durham to do my PhD and considering to pick Mildert as my college. I wonder if anyone knows how the PG community is like in Mildert :biggrin:?
Reply 90
Original post by kellee23
I'm coming to Durham to do my PhD and considering to pick Mildert as my college. I wonder if anyone knows how the PG community is like in Mildert :biggrin:?

Hi, you can find some useful information about the MCR here: https://community.dur.ac.uk/vm.mcr/

I'm only a first year UG so I don't know that much about the MCR, but I've played table tennis with a few postgraduates and they seem to enjoy college!
Original post by Dylann
Here are some pics I took last year at the open day (part 1)

Hi, I was just wondering if its easy to get around town with a bike, and from van mildert into town? are there direct bike paths? and are there lots of hills or anything? Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by nicole.kathy
Hi, I was just wondering if its easy to get around town with a bike, and from van mildert into town? are there direct bike paths? and are there lots of hills or anything? Thanks in advance! :smile:

It's very simple! There is a road called South Road that you can access by coming out of Mildert, and that leads directly onto a road called Church street which will take you into town :smile:. There are bike stations(?) (dunno what they're called) at mildert. It's bike friendly!
Original post by Dylann
It's very simple! There is a road called South Road that you can access by coming out of Mildert, and that leads directly onto a road called Church street which will take you into town :smile:. There are bike stations(?) (dunno what they're called) at mildert. It's bike friendly!

Thank you so much, this is very helpful!
Reply 94
Hi everyone. I've been assigned to Van Mildert College and I'm really excited to get to know the people I could potentially be living with.

My question for people who already live there is how good is the college bar? (I know, I'm asking all the important questions hahaa) :h:
Reply 95
Original post by markreed
Hi everyone. I've been assigned to Van Mildert College and I'm really excited to get to know the people I could potentially be living with.

My question for people who already live there is how good is the college bar? (I know, I'm asking all the important questions hahaa) :h:

It's very nice! Quite spacious, lots of room to sit and stand. Some college bars are tiny! A pint is under £2 as well
Reply 96
Original post by TelAviv
How fast is the WiFi?

140mbps
Original post by Dylann
Hi, you can find some useful information about the MCR here: https://community.dur.ac.uk/vm.mcr/

I'm only a first year UG so I don't know that much about the MCR, but I've played table tennis with a few postgraduates and they seem to enjoy college!

Thank you so much for the MCR link. Will definitely check that out:biggrin:
Reply 98
Anyone else got any questions :smile:?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Original post by Dylann
Anyone else got any questions :smile:?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the photos you posted! Is there a choice in bed size? I am a bit worried because I am very tall. Or could I bring along my personal bed?

Quick Reply

Latest