The Student Room Group

Better pay or better experience?

Let's say you have two offers:

Job A: a job that can grow you professionally with good pay. You are also given the highest position in the role. The company is growing and stable.

Job B: a job that has a better pay than Job A but you are not in the highest position and your growth may not be as high as Job A. But the company is a large international company.

Which one would you choose?
Original post by kka25

Job A: a job that can grow you professionally with good pay. You are also given the highest position in the role. The company is growing and stable.

Job B: a job that has a better pay than Job A but you are not in the highest position and your growth may not be as high as Job A. But the company is a large international company.

If you can see yourself working up the ladder over the next five years in one job then go for that one. That's what future employers etc will be looking for, progression.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Motorbiker
If you can see yourself working up the ladder over the next five years in one job then go for that one. That's what future employers etc will be looking for, progression.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was thinking the same thing; in terms of company's strength or field, job B could be seen as a step forward since it's a much harder field to get in (imagine you're an engineer who previously worked in a small firm but now going for defence and military). But job A could easily overtake job B as well (imagine moving from a financial sector to another progressive financial sector).

But job A gives the experience of 'management', thus separating itself from job B's mid-level position and since job A's company is not as large as job B, it reduces the job's bureaucracy (and potential politics).

Honestly, even I'm not sure really.

Original post by J-SP
Which ever one you think you will enjoy more. Nothing is certain when it comes to work and jobs can easily change for the good or bad. Considering how much time you spend working, go for the one you think will work better for you rather than the one you think will be better more generally.

So far, I think, pay and company's size are attractive (which is basically job B). The rest I'm not sure. Culture wise, maybe job A has less politics since the company is smaller (?).
The better experience is always the best option unless you have a family to support.
Original post by kka25

Neither, self employment>all.
Reply 5
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Neither, self employment>all.

Let's assume you can only choose one of them.
Depends how big the gap in pay is between the jobs,

If Job A is £30k and B is like £33-35k, ill take A knowing that in a few years ill probably surpass whoever took job B.

But if your talking about a much bigger gap like A being £30k and B being £40k+, i'd probably take B with zero hesitation

You only live once, get yourself as high up on that wage bracket as you can IMO
Original post by kka25

Why do you think Job B has less potential for growth than Job A? To me, Job B gives you the chance to be internally promoted in say 3-5 years, and given increased responsibility if others in higher positions leave. Is Job A offering additional training or a better job title or is it just that you'd be the most senior on your level?

As another poster said, I'd go for the job where I felt the culture was the best fit for me, and the role I thought I'd prefer (also the location where I'd rather live if they're in different places).

I'd also consider my pay and benefits over the long term- I'd ask how pay progression worked at each company. Also, if Job B is at a much larger company, they may offer better company benefits.

Finally, if I preferred Job A, but Job B was offering a lot more and this wasn't due to regional differences in pay, I'd potentially go to Job A and try to negotiate a higher starting salary. I'd explain they were my first choice, but I also had another offer which would pay £10K more. If possible, I'd try to research general salaries for the role to see if Job A was unusually low. The worst they can say is no, and if they withdraw the offer because you try to negotiate salary, it's not somewhere you want to work anyway.
Reply 8
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Why do you think Job B has less potential for growth than Job A? To me, Job B gives you the chance to be internally promoted in say 3-5 years, and given increased responsibility if others in higher positions leave. Is Job A offering additional training or a better job title or is it just that you'd be the most senior on your level?

As another poster said, I'd go for the job where I felt the culture was the best fit for me, and the role I thought I'd prefer (also the location where I'd rather live if they're in different places).

I'd also consider my pay and benefits over the long term- I'd ask how pay progression worked at each company. Also, if Job B is at a much larger company, they may offer better company benefits.

Finally, if I preferred Job A, but Job B was offering a lot more and this wasn't due to regional differences in pay, I'd potentially go to Job A and try to negotiate a higher starting salary. I'd explain they were my first choice, but I also had another offer which would pay £10K more. If possible, I'd try to research general salaries for the role to see if Job A was unusually low. The worst they can say is no, and if they withdraw the offer because you try to negotiate salary, it's not somewhere you want to work anyway.

Job A is offering additional training, mostly a better job title, and probably the (most) senior level.

No comments on the benefits structure since they are assume to be somewhat similar.

In %, how much pay increase do you normally get in your industry if you change job? 8-10%?
Original post by kka25
Job A is offering additional training, mostly a better job title, and probably the (most) senior level.

No comments on the benefits structure since they are assume to be somewhat similar.

In %, how much pay increase do you normally get in your industry if you change job? 8-10%?

You need to look at what is the norm for your own industry as it will vary hugely. To be fair, I recently took a pay cut for a job which will give me the opportunity to do some training/industry qualifications at the same time- but it's a job doing something that will make me super happy, so for me the money didn't really come into it.

I wouldn't assume anything about the benefits- why not ask both companies. My last company offered loads of benefits to staff, but they were fairly rigid about when and how you could use holiday- so don't assume everywhere will be the same.

Unless the pay is enough to make a difference to your quality of life, chose the job you think you will enjoy more, as both have potential benefits and downsides.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending