The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Medicine 2016 Offer Holder Page

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BWV1007
lol I've been here since October and I've been wanting to go to IQ but I haven't...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why haven't you gone? Do you not have enough time?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Decerto
Why haven't you gone? Do you not have enough time?

No it's not that... The only two people I know who are in IQSoc have blocked me on facebook. :tongue: I'm just a bit scared that it might be awkward when I'm meeting new people and there are two guys who hate me at the same place.
Original post by Folami 123
Cool cool thanks! Oh and what you just said about the placements. Does clinical experience come from anywhere else but placements!?!? Cause that doesn't sound very integrated 😕

Yh they kind of lie to you a bit when they say early clinical contact, I thought that meant shadowing doctors on ward rounds and going into theatre and stuff, but in first year, you basically get given a patient, and you go and visit them at their home 4 times throughout the year, you then do a single GP placement where you only speak to a couple of patients in the waiting room about what brought them to seek medical help. That's all the patient contact you get in first year. I've heard second year is a bit better, as you do a week of firms (which is when you actually work in a hospital), but you unforunately have to wait until 3rd year before all the teaching is in hospitals. First and second years are just focused on science with a little bit of patient stuff, and also a pretty dry topic on how social status leads to inequalities in health. I have a friend doing medicine at cambridge and their course is pretty much identical to imperial's in the first couple of years, the only difference is that we have to do a bit of coursework on an actual patient's condition and their experience with healthcare.
Cool cool thanks! Oh and what you just said about the placements. Does clinical experience come from anywhere else but placements!?!? Cause that doesn't sound very integrated 😕

But don't let what I just said put you off, there is a reason why they don't let first and second years learn in hospitals, it's because there's no point in shadowing doctors if you have no idea of what is going on because you don't understand the very basic science, and also I doubt any patient would really like someone who isn't even out of their teens yet to do any kind of treatment on them, I know I wouldn't
Original post by AortaStudyMore
But don't let what I just said put you off, there is a reason why they don't let first and second years learn in hospitals, it's because there's no point in shadowing doctors if you have no idea of what is going on because you don't understand the very basic science, and also I doubt any patient would really like someone who isn't even out of their teens yet to do any kind of treatment on them, I know I wouldn't

Hmmmm ok well it's just I didn't apply to Cambridge cause of the lack of clincal experience in the first 3 years 😕😕 if it's gonna be another 2 years till I'm in hospitals that kinda sucks then the intercalated year is straight after that!! Like Bruh.
Qmul just seems so good too urghhhh
Reply 66
Original post by lfcrules
Hi guys im really unsure weather to put imperial or Nottingham down as my insurance choice . One of the things putting me of imperial is the fact accommodation inst guaranteed for people who put it down as there insurance choice and it is hard to find decent private accommodation nearby . Anyone know how likely it is someone with imperial as there insurance is to get accommodation in first year . Any other advice would also be appreciated , I am completely torn between the two !

surely notts as its AAA?
Hmmmm ok well it's just I didn't apply to Cambridge cause of the lack of clincal experience in the first 3 years 😕😕 if it's gonna be another 2 years till I'm in hospitals that kinda sucks then the intercalated year is straight after that!! Like Bruh.

There is a short hospital placement in Year 2.

True, but I reckon most places are the same, also it's kind of what you should expect from imperial, it's definitely a science orientated medicine course, atleast it has been so far, I know it's too late now, but these are the sort of things people tend to look out for when choosing where to go. This is personally the ideal course for me because I was always into science, and although it's early days I'm still not quite sure whether to stay clinical or go into research, especially with how unappealing the NHS is looking right now. But you know, I'm only 19, I've not really thought that far ahead haha
True, but I reckon most places are the same, also it's kind of what you should expect from imperial, it's definitely a science orientated medicine course, atleast it has been so far, I know it's too late now, but these are the sort of things people tend to look out for when choosing where to go. This is personally the ideal course for me because I was always into science, and although it's early days I'm still not quite sure whether to stay clinical or go into research, especially with how unappealing the NHS is looking right now. But you know, I'm only 19, I've not really thought that far ahead haha

Fair dos but, I did look Into the courses and when it says it's "integrated" and "has early clinical experience" it's hard to make my research so deep that I'll know that's 1 GP placement 😂😂
Reply 70
Oh, I also thought that integrated meant plenty of early patient contact, also why I did not want to apply to Cambridge. I'm not put off though, I am working as a HCA at St Thomas' during my gap year so I get hundreds of hours with patients, and the kind doctors there always talk to me and let me shadow them a few times.
Original post by babsa
surely notts as its AAA?

well my firm choice will definatley be cambridge (A*A*A), so im not sure. i think going down to A*AA for my insurance wouldnt be too bad
Reply 72
anyone know if theres an applicant open day?
Original post by babsa
anyone know if theres an applicant open day?

I guess we'll find out in the offer pack that they send out init. Congrats to everyone in this thread btw:biggrin:
Original post by mikeharr878
I guess we'll find out in the offer pack that they send out init. Congrats to everyone in this thread btw:biggrin:

When do they normally send that out?
Original post by Koom
Oh, I also thought that integrated meant plenty of early patient contact, also why I did not want to apply to Cambridge. I'm not put off though, I am working as a HCA at St Thomas' during my gap year so I get hundreds of hours with patients, and the kind doctors there always talk to me and let me shadow them a few times.

Ahh that's great man!! Well at least there's loads in the third year at IMP. And I think the weekly dissections will subside me tbh. Also I can always get some work experience over holidays or when my timetable is clearer I guess
Reply 76
Does anyone know when (if) Imperial will send us a DBS to complete and return to them?
Reply 77
Also has anyone sorted accommodation yet?
You guys have a lot to look forward to, having to make tonnes of bar graphs on excel is a particular highlight of my second term right now ....

.... that was sarcasm btw
You guys have a lot to look forward to, having to make tonnes of bar graphs on excel is a particular highlight of my second term right now ....

.... that was sarcasm btw

PRSOM! Ahaha I'm just in the midst of a similar sort of problem cuz I'm doing my maths coursework for a level right now :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending