The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LonelyDemon
Earlier today I was having a swimming session at my local gym, I go there 3 times a week, today I went later than usual. I was there about half a hour when a female member of staff told me to get out, because there is women only now. I asked is for mothers or pregnant women, she said no. I don't understand why all men should get out when the pool is big enough for everyone. I told her that men just come here to excercise they're not interested in women and respect have to share the pool. So all the men had to get out even though none of were harming anyone.

Do think this is fair? Should I make a complaint? Just annoys me that still have much a gender divide over something silly as this.

Are there membership fees? If so, one could make an argument that men should be paying less, as they are getting fewer hours of potential use.
Original post by smileyelephant
Hardly any men would go to men only sessions but women go to women only because they feel more comfortable or for religious reasons. I know that most times I go to a pool men will make me feel uncomfortable and I know i'm not the only one so it is important to have women only sessions. If you want men only sessions you should ask because i'm sure if enough men wanted to go there would be one. Also it isn't like it's always women only sessions and it encourages more women to go ad get fit.

So if a group of white people said that being in the same space as black people "made them feel uncomfortable", do you think that would be acceptable?
Reply 22
Original post by Chief Wiggum
So if a group of white people said that being in the same space as black people "made them feel uncomfortable", do you think that would be acceptable?

I'd like to see the reaction to "whites-only" (or any race for that matter) sessions..
Well I mean not really, that would require the implementation of such a stupid thing, but you know what I mean..
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I'd like to see the reaction to "whites-only" (or any race for that matter) sessions..
Well I mean not really, that would require the implementation of such a stupid thing, but you know what I mean..

Imagine the equivalent reasoning, "I think we need our own sessions, since being around black people makes us feel uneasy and uncomfortable".

That would quite rightly obviously be condemned as disgracefully racist.

Clearly not, i have never known a black person to stair at me or any other girl/women or make remarks about their body or say things like, ' I'd tap that'
Imagine the equivalent reasoning, "I think we need our own sessions, since being around black people makes us feel uneasy and uncomfortable".

That would quite rightly obviously be condemned as disgracefully racist.

That's so ridiculous its nothing like having men make remarks about your body or watching you continuously in the pool. That why it makes women feel uncomfortable not because they're just men!
Reply 26
Original post by Herbiechester
Women should not feel uncomfortble exercising with men present....

But they do, and it is the behaviour of the men that is the cause. So the reason for women only swim sessions is male behaviour.

The pool I used as a kid did have a men only session, but I guess it wasn't very popular. Something to do with women not making men feel uncomfortable.
Reply 27
Original post by HFBS
But they do, and it is the behaviour of the men that is the cause. So the reason for women only swim sessions is male behaviour.

The pool I used as a kid did have a men only session, but I guess it wasn't very popular. Something to do with women not making men feel uncomfortable.

"the behaviour of some men"

You can ask the staff to ban them.
Original post by ivy.98
I dont like that either. If there's women only hours, then what about men only hours smh

Quite... what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

:shakecane:
Original post by LonelyDemon
Earlier today I was having a swimming session at my local gym, I go there 3 times a week, today I went later than usual. I was there about half a hour when a female member of staff told me to get out, because there is women only now. I asked is for mothers or pregnant women, she said no. I don't understand why all men should get out when the pool is big enough for everyone. I told her that men just come here to excercise they're not interested in women and respect have to share the pool. So all the men had to get out even though none of were harming anyone.

Do think this is fair? Should I make a complaint? Just annoys me that still have much a gender divide over something silly as this.

I can see the idea behind it some women are redicously self conscious about their body be it if their really fat or have scaring or burns.

Some also may have been victims of sexual assault and thus don't feel comfortable around men particularly if their not wearing much is it right and does it serve a purpose ? yes.

It's kind of what is more important would these people ever get in the pool and be able keep healthy other wise maybe not.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
omg u don't understand women r oppressed stop being so bigoted

Not so much any more sure the wage gap in some places needs to close but I actually don't see much sexism any more against women.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
If you really care about male rights you would be fighting against the fact their are boys in third world countries being forced to fight as child soldiers. Not complaining about your pathetic none issues men face in western countries like not being able to use swimming poll one evening a week.

Or closer to home, more help with mental illness given that men are more likely to commit suicide.

I am not offended at women-only times in swimming pools. Even in countries where there seem to be less issues with obesity and body image such as the Netherlands there are women-only sessions in otherwise mixed swimming and spa facilities.
Reply 32
Original post by jonathanemptage
I can see the idea behind it some women are redicously self conscious about their body be it if their really fat or have scaring or burns.

Some also may have been victims of sexual assault and thus don't feel comfortable around men particularly if their not wearing much is it right and does it serve a purpose ? yes.

It's kind of what is more important would these people ever get in the pool and be able keep healthy other wise maybe not.

All of your points can be reversed. Men can feel just as self conscious as women, and can also be victims of sexual assault. I myself do most of my exercise at home as I am both self conscious and quite paranoid about these things. I personally don't think that there is any problem with women only swim times and a lack of male only swim times, as the leisure centres may say that they are trying to be egalitarian, but it is obviously a business decision.

What I would have a problem with is if a leisure centre allowed me to pay to use the swimming pool for an hour, then kicked me out half an hour in because the women only time period was starting. In that situation I would either want a full/partial refund depending on how long I had been using the pool for, or for whoever I was making the payment to to let me know beforehand that the pool would only be accessible for a fraction of the time I was expecting it to.

I guess my point is that no, it's not sexist, it's business, and most attempting (so far) to either defend or attack it based on sexism grounds are in my opinion taking it a bit one sided. There's no point in suing a leisure centre for not hosting swim sessions for each gender separately, as ultimately, it's the centre's business decision whether or not to host them, and the swimmers choice whether or not to attend them.
Businesses can do whatever they want IMO.
Original post by smileyelephant
That's so ridiculous its nothing like having men make remarks about your body or watching you continuously in the pool. That why it makes women feel uncomfortable not because they're just men!

So what about the stigma and racism attached to individuals from different ethnic backgrounds to the majority of the british population? One group are condemned as terrorists, others have been condemned in the past as gangsters or muggers (Hall's Moral Panic, 1972 I believe). Others are seen in different lights. Similarly to your gender segregation within the swimming pool, wouldn't this belief mean we are allowed to racially segregate due to stereotypes against these ethnic groups possibly posing a threat to our ethnic group? This would be deemed as extremely racist and I'm pretty sure that's a prosecutable offence.

So, if one or two blokes stared at you for a small period of time in a pool and passed degrading remarks, are you telling me you've NEVER done something like that before? Because I'm pretty sure we all have once. Stared at a guys abs or girl's breasts. There's no escaping that behaviour - it's human nature. So their remarks are no more valid than you or another woman lusting over a guy. Double standards, I think...
I understand the premise of such things and agree with them to a certain extent, but there's no denying the inherent sexism underlying this kind of thing when there is no male equivalent. A lot of men are uncomfortable with the way they look as well.
Reply 36
Original post by SmashConcept
Businesses can do whatever they want IMO.

No they can't look at the Christian bakers not serving the gay couple and there are other examples
Original post by Tinemither
So what about the stigma and racism attached to individuals from different ethnic backgrounds to the majority of the british population? One group are condemned as terrorists, others have been condemned in the past as gangsters or muggers (Hall's Moral Panic, 1972 I believe). Others are seen in different lights. Similarly to your gender segregation within the swimming pool, wouldn't this belief mean we are allowed to racially segregate due to stereotypes against these ethnic groups possibly posing a threat to our ethnic group? This would be deemed as extremely racist and I'm pretty sure that's a prosecutable offence.

So, if one or two blokes stared at you for a small period of time in a pool and passed degrading remarks, are you telling me you've NEVER done something like that before? Because I'm pretty sure we all have once. Stared at a guys abs or girl's breasts. There's no escaping that behaviour - it's human nature. So their remarks are no more valid than you or another woman lusting over a guy. Double standards, I think...

Well if there was always black people or asian people actually being racist or doing acts of terrorism in the pool towards white people then, there should be segregation however i have NEVER had a person of a different race do anything that has made me feel uncomfortable in any way! And I NEVER said 'one or two blokes for a small period of time' because that wouldn't be so bad but i said 'constantly' like i among many women/girls have been watched for almost the entire session. And no i would never look at a guy and then say loudly to someone close by, so that the guy can hear, that i want to 'do him' or something else derogatory.

Now i am not saying all men because i know most wouldn't, but because a few men do it then women should be allowed to have sessions that allow them to not have things like that happen.
Its not sexist because if enough men wanted a mens only session then it could happen!
Best thing for family well-being is to go full Saudi. Segregated pools, segregated shopping malls, Halal Unis. Otherwise its just not safe for women isn't it.
Reply 39
Yes, its sexist. There ought to be a male equivalent.

Latest