The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anon_98
Yep, ofc you may. :h: Well, for units 1+2 - I basically used classnotes alone to make lots of small flashcard type notes on every topic then tested myself by just covering it then reciting kinda thing but they took me absolutely ageeeeeeeeeesss. O_O But for unit 4 + 5, I'm using the youtube channel - "Mr.Pollock Biology" to build a basic understanding then I make my notes afterwards using the videos and several textbooks and classnotes .This helps as A2 stuff is a lot harder and then after I've done all of that I'll try and memorise them all. As for past papers, I haven't attempted a single A2 Biology past paper from the AQA website as of yet bc I haven't completed what I need to do. In all our exams at school we are given made up ones and I found the application questions which were presented to us incredibly difficult too. After I've finished my current biology revision, I'll do a past paper to see if I've improved in anyway and whether this technique works for me. :s-smilie:

Thanks for your advice!! :smile: I do feel you! I didn't make flashcards for biology last year but I did make notes for Unit 2 and though it did help me understand most of the concepts, it took me a very long time to complete them - and on top of that I hardly did like 3 past papers because EMPA took over!!!:angry: That meant that I did not practise application and didn't do as well in the exam!!! Need to spend more time on techniques!!
Well... This week has been so uneventful. I've actually had a really fun weekend doing my ECs but not enough work so hopefully I'll start my '6 hour revision days' from tomorrow onwards!

I actually have to attend a Chinese Lantern Festival Gala thingy this afternoon because I'm actually performing so.... I'll just focus on getting my homework done for tomorrow which are a few Geography past paper questions.
Completing my BUSS4 research log and then look over BUSS2 Past paer topics- 1hour. BUSS2 Past paper - 1 hour and 30 mins. Break at 2:15
Going to revise unit 3 for History, hopefully for an 1 hour and 30 mins... I've done nothing so far this weekend :frown:
Reply 1384
Original post by xs4
lol that essay's been bugging you for ages :biggrin:& well done :five:are you aiming for an A* too by any chance? I feel the same to be quite frank:frown:, going to have to follow the timetable more strictly next week

I knoww, so glad it's done now though- I actually finished writing it out this morning. XD - It took me way longer than it should've, hate being a slow writer. :emo: Thank you! :five:
Yeah, hopefully we'll both be able to do just that. :smile:
Reply 1385
Original post by Metapheonix

Are you doing A2 biology/ just revised in advanced haha? :smile:

Revising Biology now. Good luck to everyone with their exam revision.

Yess, I'm doing A2 Biology! ^-^

Good luck to you too!
Are flashcards worth it?
Reply 1387
Original post by htrowslec
The balancing definitely helps as well! I found I was spending 25% more time on Philosophy than anything else

Oh okay, thank you v much- I'll definitely start tomorrow then :h: + can I just ask if you included the amount of time you spent on your hwk as part of it too or just revision alone?
Reply 1388
Original post by kingfrizzy
Can you please explain this. I am in Nigeria so I'm not sure whether the timings will correlate. Also I'm not on half term yet, I'm starting my mock 2 examinations tomorrow so after that (2 weeks after) I'd have the break but my school is having an easter retreat, so when do you think this timetable will work?

Um, I've absolutely no idea.. :redface: Well, I don't know what the time difference is between the U.K and Nigeria but you could still follow the timetable when you get back from school etc, even if the rest of us may be having dinner/asleep at the time. - If that makes sense. Bc the thread will still be open and you can still post, we'll just be slightly ahead/behind schedule- that's all! So, for example let's say we're all starting the 4:00pm session, if it's 2:00pm where you live then you can start the 2:30pm session/whatever. Don't know if that makes sense. >.< Basically I don't think it makes a huge difference, you just follow it according to your times bc it'd still work!
Original post by Kittyboy
Are flashcards worth it?

Depends what subjects you're doing, if they're more factual subjects e.g.
Biology/ History/ English/ Philosophy+Ethics I would recommend!

Otherwise, you would benefit most by improving you're understanding on other subjects and doing LOTS of past paper questions - I like to make files for questions specifically on each topic as often, the problem lies in one/ few specific areas.

Hope this helps :wink:
Reply 1390
Original post by Kittyboy
Are flashcards worth it?

Hmmm.. well, I made them last year and they took me hours beyond hours. They were v helpful when it came to the last week/few days since they were pocket-size..ish so you could just whip them out in the car etc but I'm not making them this year bc they just take so long and I think my time could be better spent on memorising stuff/past papers/improving exam technique. They literally took me so so so so long. XD They did turn out to be incredibly pretty + colourful + fab to look at which made memorisation that little bit easier and were helpful due to the condensed nature of stuff but no- not again.
Reply 1391
Original post by kholland
Well... This week has been so uneventful. I've actually had a really fun weekend doing my ECs but not enough work so hopefully I'll start my '6 hour revision days' from tomorrow onwards!

I actually have to attend a Chinese Lantern Festival Gala thingy this afternoon because I'm actually performing so.... I'll just focus on getting my homework done for tomorrow which are a few Geography past paper questions.

That sounds exciting, have fun! :h:
Reply 1392
Okay, I'm going to start on some parametric equations in the next block at 12:30pm.- Hopefully I'll get at least half way through the stuff.
Original post by xs4
lol vectors are my worst enemy :s-smilie: &also did some C4 today, how're you finding A2? (also what additional module are you doing)

I do M1 this year (I did S1 last year), so I guess it really doesn't help that I don't like vectors XD. I don't do physics so I'm really not liking M1. I'll do a past paper on it today and see how much I don't know. I actually like C3 and C4, even though it can be annoying at times, like weaving trig into pretty much EVERY QUESTION. I miss C1 questions where it just says to rationalise the denominator :frown:
Original post by Anon_98
Hmmm.. well, I made them last year and they took me hours beyond hours. They were v helpful when it came to the last week/few days since they were pocket-size..ish so you could just whip them out in the car etc but I'm not making them this year bc they just take so long and I think my time could be better spent on memorising stuff/past papers/improving exam technique. They literally took me so so so so long. XD They did turn out to be incredibly pretty + colourful + fab to look at which made memorisation that little bit easier and were helpful due to the condensed nature of stuff but no- not again.

I appreciate this thread but my parents keep cautioning me about staying up late revising (up till around 2/3am) as it's supposedly not good for my health. They consider it as a consequence of not being focused enough during the day.

My quandary is, I like working around that time, it's actually peaceful - unlike during the day I can focus for longer than 20 mins -1hr for each session (it varies with focus/ energy levels).

I also suspect I need to improve on my efficiency - how would I ensure this?
(often procrastinating and even charting my daily progress can take too long. )

Any thoughts/ advice would be much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1395
I appreciate this thread but my parents keep cautioning me about staying up late revising (up till around 2/3am) as it's supposedly not good for my health. They consider it as a consequence of not being focused enough during the day.

My quandary is, I like working around that time, it's actually peaceful - unlike during the day I can focus for longer than 20 mins -1hr for each session (it varies with focus/ energy levels).

Yeah same.. I've stopped staying up till that late now. Infact, I stop at 11pm/12am simply bc I don't think it's helping with my revision and I don't want to be studying for ages to figure out that half of what I'd learnt is essentially lost due to lack of sleep . - Your parents are most likely right, I only realised that after I started getting quite tired during the day, so much so that I couldn't even get myself to do anything. >.<

I entirely agree! - I seem to be able to focus a lot more during late hours too, perhaps it's bc I know that I can go to bed as soon as I've done everything therefore try and do it as efficiently and as fast as possible. Despite the fact there are these slight benefits, I actually don't think the resulting effect is worth it. - I get so incredibly tired and I think it might have a negative impact during exam season therefore I've stopped. Plus, sleep is supposed to be quite important and it may even cause you to burn out. Rather than stay up late at night, why not wake up early in the morning? I find that I'm at my peak then too so it might be worth a try!- Plus, it's such a relaxing time to work. O_O

I also suspect I need to improve on my efficiency - how would I ensure this?
(often procrastinating and even charting my daily progress can take too long. )
Any thoughts/ advice would be much appreciated! :smile:

I know what you mean. Hmm.. maybe:

-Switch off your phone + all devices!
- Take breaks when you need them?
- Focus on a single task until it's completed, try not to hover around lots of different things bc otherwise you won't be as efficient.( I used to do this a lot)
- Just try to remember that once you've finished with your particular task you can then do whatever you want for 5/10/whatever minutes without experiencing a feeling of guilt.
- Set a timer. - It makes me work faster for whatever reason + might help!
- I would chart the daily progress stuff during revision breaks!

:smile:
Original post by Anon_98
Um, I've absolutely no idea.. :redface: Well, I don't know what the time difference is between the U.K and Nigeria but you could still follow the timetable when you get back from school etc, even if the rest of us may be having dinner/asleep at the time. - If that makes sense. Bc the thread will still be open and you can still post, we'll just be slightly ahead/behind schedule- that's all! So, for example let's say we're all starting the 4:00pm session, if it's 2:00pm where you live then you can start the 2:30pm session/whatever. Don't know if that makes sense. >.< Basically I don't think it makes a huge difference, you just follow it according to your times bc it'd still work!

Okay... awesome!
I have a big issue though. So I just called my history teacher and he just told me that my mock exam is going to be on 20th century history +USA and probably Saddam Hussein (for paper 1)(he said that because he hasn't seen the exam yet ) but for paper 2 its going to be Gulf matters and paper 4 USA. I'm starting to freak out because yeah I understand The cold war because that was my main issue before but now there is more of a load (the exam is on tuesday ) and I have my economics paper 2 exam tomorrow. So i have no clue what to do now, I don't work well under pressure (i start to cry)
So what do I do?
Reply 1397
:work: 12:30pm. :work:
~Logging out time!~

C4.
Original post by Anon_98
Yeah same.. I've stopped staying up till that late now. Infact, I stop at 11pm/12am simply bc I don't think it's helping with my revision and I don't want to be studying for ages to figure out that half of what I'd learnt is essentially lost due to lack of sleep . - Your parents are most likely right, I only realised that after I started getting quite tired during the day, so much so that I couldn't even get myself to do anything. >.<

I've tried to experiment with polyphasic sleeping but so far all I've found is that 6hrs sleep works well but not over and maybe a short nap later on. I hope to try the Uberman schedule though I'm a bit cautious as no solid research has been conducted in this area.

I entirely agree! - I seem to be able to focus a lot more during late hours too, perhaps it's bc I know that I can go to bed as soon as I've done everything therefore try and do it as efficiently and as fast as possible. Despite the fact there are these slight benefits, I actually don't think the resulting effect is worth it. - I get so incredibly tired and I think it might have a negative impact during exam season therefore I've stopped. Plus, sleep is supposed to be quite important and it may even cause you to burn out. Rather than stay up late at night, why not wake up early in the morning? I find that I'm at my peak then too so it might be worth a try!- Plus, it's such a relaxing time to work. O_O

How long do you usually sleep? How much free time do you have in a day?

I know what you mean. Hmm.. maybe:

-Switch off your phone + all devices!
- Take breaks when you need them?
- Focus on a single task until it's completed, try not to hover around lots of different things bc otherwise you won't be as efficient.( I used to do this a lot)
- Just try to remember that once you've finished with your particular task you can then do whatever you want for 5/10/whatever minutes without experiencing a feeling of guilt.
- Set a timer. - It makes me work faster for whatever reason + might help!
- I would chart the daily progress stuff during revision breaks!

:smile:

Thanks! I'll try this.
Reply 1399
Original post by Kamara7
I do M1 this year (I did S1 last year), so I guess it really doesn't help that I don't like vectors XD. I don't do physics so I'm really not liking M1. I'll do a past paper on it today and see how much I don't know. I actually like C3 and C4, even though it can be annoying at times, like weaving trig into pretty much EVERY QUESTION. I miss C1 questions where it just says to rationalise the denominator :frown:

damn :biggrin: im the opposite i did M1 last year and im doing S1 now. its practically suvat, trig and simultaneous equations for resolving forces and newtonian law (the bulk of the marks). Same here, i find C3 the easiest out of the 4, LOL just don't drink and derive, :') the glory days

Latest

Trending

Trending