The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is a stereotype of Eastern European 'hard men'.

Bear in mind that 'lifting' and being aggressive doesn't make you an alpha male.

In poorer countries women desire stronger, healthier men more than they would in e.g. Sweden or Britain.

There is certainly more value placed on masculine traits in Eastern Europe than in Western Europe. Men obviously try to live up to this.

So yes. Perhaps there are more 'alpha males'.

:wink:
Yeah definitely in Eastern Europe as the above users said...
I think because generally Eastern Europe doesn't encourage men to explore a more feminine side than they do in Western Europe.
By that I mean, through media, fashion, entertainment. Eastern Europe is more conservative and probably believe more in the classic gender roles. That being said, certainly women are very strong and independent in Eastern Europe, whether they work in a job or work as a housewife.
Reply 3
Original post by homeland.lsw
Yeah definitely in Eastern Europe as the above users said...
I think because generally Eastern Europe doesn't encourage men to explore a more feminine side than they do in Western Europe.
By that I mean, through media, fashion, entertainment. Eastern Europe is more conservative and probably believe more in the classic gender roles. That being said, certainly women are very strong and independent in Eastern Europe, whether they work in a job or work as a housewife.

YES THIS. Couldn't have said it better myself :smile:
Western Europe.

The only males that I've seen self-identify as alpha males spend too much time on the Internet, equate 5 minutes lifting lumps of iron in an air-conditioned gum and drinking a protein shake with being hard, and enjoy taking selfies. They tend to be Western European or American.
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
I would say Eastern Europe.

lol no, Eastern Europe is not alpha. What you have perceived as them being alpha, is just because they are too backward to know any better.

The macho culture in Eastern Europe that people have described here is because mentally many people in Eastern Europe are still stuck in the Soviet era.

Yeah definitely in Eastern Europe as the above users said...I think because generally Eastern Europe doesn't encourage men to explore a more feminine side than they do in Western Europe.By that I mean, through media, fashion, entertainment. Eastern Europe is more conservative and probably believe more in the classic gender roles. That being said, certainly women are very strong and independent in Eastern Europe, whether they work in a job or work as a housewife.
EE is more conservative because most of the population mentally is still in the Soviet era. Also, the men and women need to be tougher because EE is chittier compared to WE.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Quantex
Western Europe.

The only males that I've seen self-identify as alpha males spend too much time on the Internet, equate 5 minutes lifting lumps of iron in an air-conditioned gum and drinking a protein shake with being hard, and enjoy taking selfies. They tend to be Western European or American.

Eastern Europe:
http://toprightnews.com/muslim-refugees-molest-women-in-russian-nightclub-russian-men-make-them-regret-it/

Western Europe:
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/02/27/woman-who-fled-iranian-persecution-branded-nazi-for-condemning-cologne-sex-attacks/
Whichever side that talks the least about this alpha/beta nonsense
I see what you mean by this...

Swedish women require real men

http://www.infowars.com/report-arab-migrants-promised-free-blonde-swedish-girls-by-people-smugglers/

Well there's enough of that for Eastern European women.
Original post by Quantex
So you define an alpha male as someone that engages in a bit of extrajudical violence?

Here are some Russian alpha males giving some gay people a beating....
http://www.upworthy.com/here-is-the-shocking-footage-of-gay-men-being-beaten-on-camera-in-russia

I know how gay people are treated in Eastern Europe and I don't support that but that's not the point I'm trying to make. You're comparing an unacceptable act to an act of justice. Are you telling me those refugees should just get away with harassing women and acting all softboy is going to teach them anything? Do you accept the sexual harassment caused by some of these refugees?
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
I know how gay people are treated in Eastern Europe and I don't support that but that's not the point I'm trying to make. You're comparing an unacceptable act to an act of justice. Are you telling me those refugees should just get away with harassing women and acting all softboy is going to teach them anything? Do you accept the sexual harassment caused by some of these refugees?

I very much prefer to live in a country governed by the rule of law rather than by vigilantism. I prefer guilt to be established in a court of law rather than a group beating. Those types of societies also tend to be the type that have very misogynistic attitudes to women. Take domestic violence in Russia....

Out of those, 14,000 die from injuries inflicted by husbands or partners [per year].

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21474931

From what I've read about sexual violence in Russia and prostitution (particularly trafficking), it is very apparent that you can get away with sexual harassment and a lot worse with little fear that you'll be punished for it.
Original post by Retired_Messiah

This.
Original post by Retired_Messiah

It is very much a construct of the internet. Out there in the real world, I've never heard the distinction used.
Original post by Quantex
It is very much a construct of the internet. Out there in the real world, I've never heard the distinction used.

Phew.
Define Alpha male
Reply 17
Original post by Foo.mp3
The West is pitifully emasculated, whereas many Eastern men are somewhat brutish.. bit of a no-brainer :dontknow:

What I see here in Czech rep. (Prague), many of British (brutish :-) or German youngs who are clubbing in the night are primitive, loud and less intelligent overselfconfident apes in tight shirts. In contrast with Czech people who are modest, keep distance and are much more silent and less aggressive (and thus more intelligent) :-) I Guess that, for example, in England there is a much more macho yokels (pikeys or how you call it) than anywhere else in the world. Maybe it is comparable with Russian people (with their macho behaviour we also have bad experience here as same as with Ukrainians labour workers).
Eastern Europe by far..

Western Europe will probably be defeated by radical Islam, Eastern Europeans wouldn't allow it.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Prague guys are not wholly representative of Czech guys, in turn not wholly representative of East European guys. Ditto British ex-pats. Generally speaking, we are a relatively feminised society, trust me! :erm:

Polish men>>>>>>
I tend to find Western European men(especially Brits) a lot more feminine,maybe that's just me tho. German guys are alright tho.

Anyway,the alpha the better

Latest