The Student Room Group

First trans student to run for NUS women's officer stands up to backlash

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/feb/26/first-trans-student-to-run-for-womens-officer-stands-up-to-backlash

I really don't see anything wrong with a trans student standing for this position. I am also pretty shocked that feminists are involved in this 'backlash'.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do not agree with it at all- he's not a woman, he is a man who has made an attempt to look like a female.
Original post by Trapz99
I do not agree with it at all- he's not a woman, he is a man who has made an attempt to look like a female.

You don't have to agree with her Jimbob, and you are entitled to your own opinion Jimbob.
Just shows how much better men are at everything - they won Woman of the Year, now they're gonna be Women's Officer :biggrin:
Reply 4
The Apocalypse is near it seems...
Original post by MildredMalone
Just shows how much better men are at everything - they won Woman of the Year, now they're gonna be Women's Officer :biggrin:

ROFL.
Original post by Lady Comstock
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/feb/26/first-trans-student-to-run-for-womens-officer-stands-up-to-backlash

I really don't see anything wrong with a trans student standing for this position. I am also pretty shocked that feminists are involved in this 'backlash'.

I clicked on the article and was presented with the opening statement:

"The first “queer trans disabled lesbian woman” to run for..."

Stopped reading here. What the actual **** is the world coming to?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by MildredMalone

And a edf ran competition to get girls more interested in science.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12175757/edf-energy-pretty-curious-competition-stem-science.html
Reply 9
Original post by The Epicurean
You don't have to agree with her Jimbob, and you are entitled to your own opinion Jimbob.

What? Jimbob? What are you talking about?
Original post by Lady Comstock

Stopped reading at:

Anna Lee, who calls herself a ‘queer trans disabled lesbian woman’

This whole planet is going to chit.
It's sort of unfair though. I understand why there's a backlash. Does having surgery or hormone replacement make you a woman? Sort of a catch-22 situation.
Original post by Trapz99
What? Jimbob? What are you talking about?

Why are you confused Jimbob?
Why are you confused Jimbob?

Why do you keep calling me Jimbob? Bit weird
Original post by Trapz99

Ah yes indeed Jimbob, that is exactly my point. I shall quote your original post:

"I do not agree with it at all- he's not a woman, he is a man who has made an attempt to look like a female. "

The person in question identifies as female, but you choose to use 'he' when referring to them. You are fully entitled to do so Jimbob, likewise, though you might wish to be referred to by some other term, I think Jimbob is rather befitting and prefer to refer to you as Jimbob.
Original post by Trapz99

I think it's one of those "names which people call someone" type things, like Buster or Mate?
WhAT THE ****ING **** DOES QUEER EVEN ****ING MEAN

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME AN ACTUAL EXPLANATION

SO FAR EVERYONE I'VE ASKED HAVE SAID THEY USE IT INSTEAD OF SAYING ANOTHER SEXUALITY

SO HOW CAN YOU BE ''QUEER'' AND ''LESBIAN'''

s2Fg what is this WORLD
she doesn't look very womanly at all
Ah yes indeed Jimbob, that is exactly my point. I shall quote your original post:

"I do not agree with it at all- he's not a woman, he is a man who has made an attempt to look like a female. "

The person in question identifies as female, but you choose to use 'he' when referring to them. You are fully entitled to do so Jimbob, likewise, though you might wish to be referred to by some other term, I think Jimbob is rather befitting and prefer to refer to you as Jimbob.

That is not the same thing. My name is officially not Jimbob. That person's gender is actually male, so why would you call him a female?
Original post by Inexorably
WhAT THE ****ING **** DOES QUEER EVEN ****ING MEAN

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME AN ACTUAL EXPLANATION

SO FAR EVERYONE I'VE ASKED HAVE SAID THEY USE IT INSTEAD OF SAYING ANOTHER SEXUALITY

SO HOW CAN YOU BE ''QUEER'' AND ''LESBIAN'''

s2Fg what is this WORLD

It's ridiculous ain't it. Even worse that it's sometimes included in the LGBT acronym.

Quick Reply