The Student Room Group

How to get atleast a B or above on Maths.

I've always been weak at my maths but great in my other subjects,so i wish to ask for help.How can one(from a grade D) get to at least a grade B in 2/3 months?

Any tips?

I do understand the topics(via watching math videos) however when it comes to the exam i fail to apply it,its always worded really weirdly.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
Original post by Blancosdos
I've always been weak at my maths but great in my other subjects,so i wish to ask for help.How can one(from a grade D) get to at least a grade B in 2/3 months?

Any tips?

I do understand the topics(via watching math videos) however when it comes to the exam i fail to apply it,its always worded really weirdly.

People are probably having lunch!

Half the marks at Higher are on grade C/D topics so make sure you know them thoroughly -

Keep practising past papers [from 2012 onwards] from any exam board and check out the mark scheme to ensure you get all the marks. I would not worry about A* topics at this stage focus on answering the first half of the paper perfectly and just pick up a few more marks on harder stuff. This should get you a solid B and an A on a good day.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
People are probably having lunch!

Half the marks at Higher are on grade C/D topics so make sure you know them thoroughly -

Keep practising past papers [from 2012 onwards] from any exam board and check out the mark scheme to ensure you get all the marks. I would not worry about A* topics at this stage focus on answering the first half of the paper perfectly and just pick up a few more marks on harder stuff. This should get you a solid B and an A on a good day.

Ah its just that exams are getting much harder compared to 2012/13/14 :frown:
Reply 4
Get cracking on those past papers!
If you don't understand a question or a topic, put a bookmark on the page so you can see where you go wrong on each paper and focus revision more effectively.

If you find that they are weirdly worded. Use a highlighter to pull out the important parts of the question so you can see the information better. If you do this when doing past papers then you can pick up on the Command words they may use and thus make it easier when it comes to applying your knowledge to the questions.

Good Luck!
~A
Ah its just that exams are getting much harder compared to 2012/13/14 :frown:

This is just not true -
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
This is just not true -

It is.Even my teachers say it.In Comparison to 2012/13 the 15 papers(i did both for mocks) seem much harder.But that my opinion,and regardless of difficulty ,i need a B.Thanks for the advice

Any tips?

Is this for A-Level or GCSE?

I would say always go through every past paper at least three times. Specifically, go through each topic and find past paper questions for it, and make sure you keep doing them over and over again until you're sure you completely understand the theory and application.

After you've done that, go through Solomon questions if you can - once you can tackle them without an issue, you're pretty much set for your exam/s. Although, I'm not too sure if these papers are available for GCSE...

And finally, get a tutor if you need to and additional text books. It'll all pay off in the end.
Reply 8
Original post by fire_and_ice
Is this for A-Level or GCSE?

I would say always go through every past paper at least three times. Specifically, go through each topic and find past paper questions for it, and make sure you keep doing them over and over again until you're sure you completely understand the theory and application.

After you've done that, go through Solomon questions if you can - once you can tackle them without an issue, you're pretty much set for your exam/s. Although, I'm not too sure if these papers are available for GCSE...

And finally, get a tutor if you need to and additional text books. It'll all pay off in the end.

gcse
gcse

Basically, work hard or fail.
Anymore tips?

Any tips?

If i were you I would just get every past paper I can get ahold of and practice those... you don't have to be good at Maths, you just have to be good at the exams
Thanks.
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
If i were you I would just get every past paper I can get ahold of and practice those... you don't have to be good at Maths, you just have to be good at the exams

That's the problem though.I generally understand the topics,but when it comes to exams,my brain freezes,and i can't comprehend much.TBH,i haven't been doing past papers,due to the fact that my morale gets lowered when i see all the questions i have been getting wrong.
Hi. If you want to get at least a B or above in maths, you seriously need to do plenty of revising rules, understanding the tricky questions that catch you out, and practice.
You need to realize that maths is all about rules. Try thinking of different ways to get the same answer, it makes you think of things differently.
95%+ =A*
85%+ =A
75%+ =B
These are probably not the grade boundaries you have at school, but it's good to know what you're aiming for, so you can get your best possible mark. Hope you improve!
Original post by aamirac
Get cracking on those past papers!
If you don't understand a question or a topic, put a bookmark on the page so you can see where you go wrong on each paper and focus revision more effectively.

If you find that they are weirdly worded. Use a highlighter to pull out the important parts of the question so you can see the information better. If you do this when doing past papers then you can pick up on the Command words they may use and thus make it easier when it comes to applying your knowledge to the questions.

Good Luck!
~A

Have you seen PLL?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Have you seen PLL?

No :lol: why do you ask?
Reply 16
Original post by aamirac
No :lol: why do you ask?

A is the name of the mysterious villain in PLL
Past papers
Don't just learn the methods try to understand the logic behind them. This way you will be able to solve any question using your method. Often when you learn a method using an example, you get confused when the question is slightly different than the example. There is almost always more than one method of getting the same answer so find what works for you.
Reply 19
I suspect maybe the problem is that you aren't quite understanding some of the topics, or you see a different application of an area of Maths and aren't quite sure how to apply.

I suggest that you clear up ANY doubts, big or small, by any means necessary. Get someone patient to go through it with you and explain it you step by step - don't be afraid to ask for help. Then make notes for topics, especially the ones you previously didn't understand, on flash cards etc., in a way that you understand - instructions, stating the obvious, anything - don't copy from any textbook, website etc if you don't understand, and stay true to yourself here. Then, and only then, should you try questions from past papers, textbooks etc. If there is a question you didn't quite understand, and you couldn't work out how the answer was obtained, consult anyone who can help. Then use that question and write notes to yourself on how to solve the question. Any question that you come across that you can't do - do not leave it and think it won't come up in the exam, because chances are it will.

Hope that helps :smile: GOOD LUCK! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest