The Student Room Group

How does it feel like getting an A*?

Lol, pretty obvious answer "Amazing".
Most i've had is an A in maths and that was last year in year 10...
I'm aiming for an A* so i need the mind set of an A* student, I want to make my family proud.
So how does it feel? Only answer if you've ever had a A* in any subject ;d
"All that studying paid off..."
"I did not fail!"
Imagine yourself on results day seeing those A*'s and imagine how proud of yourself you'll be, it helped me a lot with motivation and confidence :smile:.
(Got an A* for Core Science in Year 10, in Year 11 now with more exams :frown:)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
It just feels great to know that you couldn't have done any better, I didn't think about how proud it made anyone else, the sense of achievement and pride in myself was enough to motivate me to continue to work hard.
Reply 3
Original post by LearnForYOU
Lol, pretty obvious answer "Amazing".
Most i've had is an A in maths and that was last year in year 10...
I'm aiming for an A* so i need the mind set of an A* student, I want to make my family proud.
So how does it feel? Only answer if you've ever had a A* in any subject ;d

It's pretty damn rewarding. I got an A* on a WJEC media course which I had basically perfected the coursework for, so it wasn't that tough but I still had to work a lot for it. I put in so much hard work for my A* in maths that I couldn't let myself get under an A*, and I felt so determined to get it. The feeling is exhilarating on the results day. I went in expecting the worst, got my little paper folder with the results in and I almost didn't want to open it. It was a sickening feeling not knowing, but once I got them (I had someone else read out mine in exchange for me reading out theirs), I felt on top of the world. Trust me, the hard work and determination really do pay off when you see that little asterisk. Just go for it, get your head down and get some good quality work done. Even if you don't get it, take pride in what you did get, because it doesn't come effortlessly.
Reply 4
feelsgoodman
The sciences were easy to get an A* in, just buy the CGP book, its really thin, and memorise the modules. The official OCR textbooks are useless, don't use them. History was the hardest to get an A* in imo, I had to make a ton of notes. When it paid off, it felt really great and worth it.
I got 7A*,3As which by TSR standards is not amazing but I was still really happy with my results :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Opening up the results letter, seeing the grades I hoped for. It was like the world didn't matter just for that moment.

While it was bliss to see the A*, it was knowing that all the work beforehand had meaning to it.
I feel great but not that amazing considering I have quite a few lol
Reply 7
Feels good but I was always a massive perfectionist with school-work and to be honest it was particularly high marks that made me particularly happy. Didn't really think about making people proud when doing it but that's a nice bonus afterwards.
I got an A* in August in English lit, in year 10. It was weird, when I got an A* in my mock I was shaking because I didn't think it was realistic, especially since there was no coursework and people said CIE was one of/the hardest exam board. But on results day I was kinda like happy but I didn't shake or cry or anything lol I guess I expected it from how hard I worked. I'm super proud of myself though, I think I was more happy to make my parents proud and myself proud for working hard rather than having an A* to get into the a-level course I want or to impress sixth forms. It's a nice feeling idk, different for everyone
Too good to be true :wink:
Bro, thanks for sharing that, that was incredible.
Depends on your expectations. I got tons of A*s but it didn't feel all good because I was kinda expecting it all the years. It was only a feeling of relief and no more. I don't know how satisfying it would have been to get an A* when no one is expecting it from you.

The mindset you should have is one of deserving A*. I've only seen students fail to get A*, never one who got an A* without expecting it. Getting the highest grade possible comes only by doing your best. Every mark counts; you must be able to count your errors in no more than one hand.
It was ok but my parents weren't happy with me as I only got 1.
Reply 13
Original post by Sciatic
Depends on your expectations. I got tons of A*s but it didn't feel all good because I was kinda expecting it all the years. It was only a feeling of relief and no more. I don't know how satisfying it would have been to get an A* when no one is expecting it from you.

The mindset you should have is one of deserving A*. I've only seen students fail to get A*, never one who got an A* without expecting it. Getting the highest grade possible comes only by doing your best. Every mark counts; you must be able to count your errors in no more than one hand.

Yeah I felt really guilty and sad even though my GCSEs would be considered really good because I was expecting one more A* (I did very little revision and felt like I'd let myself, parents and teacher down). Honestly wasn't too bothered about the ones I did get, it was sort of just "thank god I did just enough revision in this subject as well". Except English, that was tough so I was pretty thrilled with that one.
Reply 14
Getting any number of A*s is just an amazing feeling - especially when you get A*s in the subjects that you never thought you would do really well in - I got A*s in GCSE English Literature and Language and Physics and I was just so proud of not just myself ;-) but also my completely supportive teachers. English and Physics were never my best subjects and I was absolutely dreading the results for them but it's so rewarding getting A*s - because you know you actually tried your absolute best and it pays off!

Quick Reply

Latest