The Student Room Group

Why Do I Procrastinate So Much?!

What is my problem with procrastination? I had this vision in my head yesterday that I was going to sped most of the day revising for my mock exams next week. Today, I've done nothing. I haven't done any revision and I am struggling to find any motivation to do it.
Please help!
Reply 1
Hello, I sometimes find myself in the same situation. For me, to break this situation: either do what I like to do when I am relaxed (like playing a game) for a little time to break the barrier that prevent me from studying in that time, or remind myself with my goal, the time left to study and the marks I am getting for the time being; kind of putting myself under that pressure to read when I am being lazy. Maybe this is a bit weird but this is what I do. hopefully, this will be useful for you.Best luck with your mock exam
i feel you :redface:
i am same like you
Reply 3
Why did you have this vision? Why did you say that day "I'm definitely going to revise!"? Are you determined to achieve? Or were you just saying that as something to brush over, something to give you an excuse to relax beforehand... "I'm so gonna start revision tomorrow, so I'll just chill tonight"

You must have had some drive or motivation, remind yourself what it was. Why do you want to revise? Why do you want good grades in these mock exams? If you can't answer that second question, then why are you studying those subjects?

If something is distracting you, just immediately remove the stimulus.
Don't do any of that 'use it as an incentive' or 'reduce the amount of time on it', just completely get rid of it. Laptop? Shut it down and hide it. Phone? Change the pin. TV? Stay in your room. Access it only at the very end of your revision. Because at that point, your brain is fried and tired and has barely got any energy left. It's better to waste that remaining energy on Facebook and Youtube than to use your fresh energy in the morning and afternoon.

If nothing works, you're just gonna have to muster up the determination and face the realisation that this is ****ing important, sit down with your notes, open it and say to yourself that you want to do this, you like doing this, and life isn't ****ing games anymore.
Reply 4
Original post by RMNDK
Why did you have this vision? Why did you say that day "I'm definitely going to revise!"? Are you determined to achieve? Or were you just saying that as something to brush over, something to give you an excuse to relax beforehand... "I'm so gonna start revision tomorrow, so I'll just chill tonight"

You must have had some drive or motivation, remind yourself what it was. Why do you want to revise? Why do you want good grades in these mock exams? If you can't answer that second question, then why are you studying those subjects?

If something is distracting you, just immediately remove the stimulus.
Don't do any of that 'use it as an incentive' or 'reduce the amount of time on it', just completely get rid of it. Laptop? Shut it down and hide it. Phone? Change the pin. TV? Stay in your room. Access it only at the very end of your revision. Because at that point, your brain is fried and tired and has barely got any energy left. It's better to waste that remaining energy on Facebook and Youtube than to use your fresh energy in the morning and afternoon.

If nothing works, you're just gonna have to muster up the determination and face the realisation that this is ****ing important, sit down with your notes, open it and say to yourself that you want to do this, you like doing this, and life isn't ****ing games anymore.

Hi, thanks for the advice.
I have a lot of pressure on me from teachers and family at the moment to do well. I said that I was going to spend most of the day revising because I want to do well and I want to get high grades.I am currently working on a C/B borderline and my teachers expect me to get A/A*s and I'm worried that if I don't achieve that then I've let them down?
I guess most of this procrastination really is all down to my fear of faliure. However, thank you for your advice, it was definitely useful,

Quick Reply

Latest