The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Unfair? Yes. Sexist? I don't really think so.

I think this is a non issue, the same way I think a lot of the things first world feminists campaign for are non issues. I think people are only calling it sexist and being outraged to point out the double standards because we all know how this would go if reverse was the case.

Wouldn't a simple solution to this problem be to create women's only swimming pools for the women who do not feel comfortable swimming in front of men for whatever reason rather than having women's only sessions that could infringe on the swimming times of male members?
So that way no one is stopped from swimming whenever they want?

It's sad that it has to come to this and I don't like segregation of anyone whether along racial or gender lines but the creepy bastards that perve on women at swimming pools are mostly to blame for this.
Which brings me to the point, why can't those particular people be kicked out since they're making it bad for everyone else (women and men that are just there to swim)? Isn't there some sort of system to deal with perves and potential sex offenders?

And to those demanding for men only swimming pools/ sessions, do you honestly think any men would attend those?
And even if there was a high demand for one It'll only be sexist if the leisure center blatantly refuses to make them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sexism is defined as preference of one gender over another, prejudice for one gender over another, discrimination of one gender over another.

While it's true that women face significantly more sexism then men, sexism against men still happens in certain cases (breast cancer care, for an example). What you've just described is certainly sexist. Whenever you're in doubt, turn the situation around. If someone told you that there is a time when only men can go in, would it be sexist? It would. Just like this is. As a male, I would be angry to know that there's a "male-only" slot of time.

As far as religion goes, no one should care about your religion. Literally no one. People can be religious, but our society at large should be secular and assume secular values. This means that no policies and rules should be instituted to recognize certain or any religions.
Original post by spico
Facepalm-Meme-04.pngFacepalm-Meme-04.png
I'm not the sort of person to get offended by ignorant people on the internet, so before I do, I would like to clarify.
Are you saying that because I am a human male, I will stare lecherously at human women, BECAUSE I'M A GUY?
If you are then in my opinion that comment is far more sexist than a leisure centre hosting female only swim classes.

That's not what I said...

You won't stare at them cos you're a guy. But guys will stare at them.

Obviously not all guys think with their dicks, but the majority do.
The suicide rate of men is much greater due to reasons of body issues and not feeling attractive to men. Men feel exactly the same but are more ashamed about speaking out for it, I know men who will never take their shirts off in front of women even when I don't worry about what they think. People have to understand you'll get everyone looking at your body regardless what you look like, if anything inappropriate happens just tell the lifeguard to remove that person, don't view one gender as all the same.

I think it's a good idea for religious women have their own session but the idea of women only seems too backward for me. I may have a female friend wanting to join me, say it happens again am I suppose to wait in the changing rooms while she can stay.
Original post by LonelyDemon
The suicide rate of men is much greater due to reasons of body issues and not feeling attractive to men. Men feel exactly the same but are more ashamed about speaking out for it, I know men who will never take their shirts off in front of women even when I don't worry about what they think. People have to understand you'll get everyone looking at your body regardless what you look like, if anything inappropriate happens just tell the lifeguard to remove that person, don't view one gender as all the same.

I think it's a good idea for religious women have their own session but the idea of women only seems too backward for me. I may have a female friend wanting to join me, say it happens again am I suppose to wait in the changing rooms while she can stay.

Would be much better to just have a separate, smaller pool. That way the timings don't affect anyone.
Original post by Josb
I don't think that making concessions to barbaric beliefs is the way to go.

irk that;s why I don't think it's fair hahah

but, to some degree you have to respect what others believe even if you don't agree? I don't know, I hate this whole thing tbh
Reply 66
Original post by Milzime

but, to some degree you have to respect what others believe even if you don't agree? I don't know, I hate this whole thing tbh

I respect people, but I don't have to respect beliefs - especially when they are so disgustingly misogynist, homophobic and antisemitic.
Reply 67
Original post by donutellme
Would be much better to just have a separate, smaller pool. That way the timings don't affect anyone.

Who will pay the building and maintenance costs?
Original post by Josb
Who will pay the building and maintenance costs?

Who always pays? The consumer.
What some people don't seem to understand is that if you since the age of 9 been sexualised and have had lewd messages shouted at you in the street, you will find it uncomfortable to by in a swimming pool half naked with men. Because when you get shouted at and have had sexual demands screamed out you but builders or a group of men on the street, when you wear wearing just JEANS and a TURTLENECK, yes you will feel uncomfortable wearing a swimsuit in front of men because you haven't seen it any other way. OF course its not all men but when you have experienced so many incidents of public ridicule then how are you supposed to think otherwise?

It is not sexism. It is meeting the needs of a significant number of people because often those women feel uncomfortable because of the actions of men. If you men also feel uncomfortable about the actions of women, then feel free to also ask your local leisure centre for male only sessions. There is no supply without demand. I am all for men's rights but make sure what you're fighting for has a solid basis and is not solely an attack on 'tumblr feminists' that you always like to say you hate. Don't try to get rid of women's hours or try to get men's hours based on what the other gender has. Try to get it solely on whether you and other men need it, not just because women have it.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
So if a group of white people said that being in the same space as black people "made them feel uncomfortable", do you think that would be acceptable?
You're making a really big deal out of this. What does racism have to do with this situation - it shouldn't have been brought up here.
Original post by Milzime
I don't think it's fair,

but you have to understand some women cannot exercise in front of men (for religious reasons) and so many women have been help back by being self conscious; as many studies show women, after school exercise significantly less than men on average, and much of the time this is due to being self conscious. If this helps them, and offers the religiously inclined to exercise freely when they usually can't, it's only an hour or so of the day that men can't go, and if they cannot go at any other time... I mean do you at least see why it's necessary, even though it's unfair?

There were women only sessions in the swimming pool I went to as a six year old learning to swim, so it's not new. The self consciousness of some women and the desire to get more exercising was probably the reason why.
Reply 72
Original post by donutellme
Who always pays? The consumer.

You mean the taxpayer?
Original post by goldenshades
You're making a really big deal out of this. What does racism have to do with this situation - it shouldn't have been brought up here.

It's equivalent logic.
Original post by LonelyDemon

If it is that big of an issue to men then men should demand a male only session rather than say that female only sessions should be removed. If you want to swim with a female friend then she can choose to go to a mixed gender swim session (which most are). All you need to do is check the swim times before you go so you don't go during a female only session. Female sessions are popular and there is a demand for them, why take away something that helps more people get in some extra exercise?
Original post by Josb
You mean the taxpayer?

Depends if it's a public swimming pool or private. But having a separate swimming pool so some people can swim doesn't sound like a bad idea. Too bad most people can't get over their prejudice.
Reply 76
Original post by lahorizon
What some people don't seem to understand is that if you since the age of 9 been sexualised and have had lewd messages shouted at you in the street, you will find it uncomfortable to by in a swimming pool half naked with men. Because when you get shouted at and have had sexual demands screamed out you but builders or a group of men on the street, when you wear wearing just JEANS and a TURTLENECK, yes you will feel uncomfortable wearing a swimsuit in front of men because you haven't seen it any other way. OF course its not all men but when you have experienced so many incidents of public ridicule then how are you supposed to think otherwise?

So you generalise men because of the actions of a few?

How is it different from when some people say that Muslims are all terrorists/rapists/intolerant? - something that people like you are so keen to denounce.
Original post by Josb

How is it different from when some people say that Muslims are all terrorists/rapists/intolerant? - something that people like you are so keen to denounce.

lol exactly, I was just thinking this earlier.
Original post by Jenx301
If it is that big of an issue to men then men should demand a male only session rather than say that female only sessions should be removed. If you want to swim with a female friend then she can choose to go to a mixed gender swim session (which most are). All you need to do is check the swim times before you go so you don't go during a female only session. Female sessions are popular and there is a demand for them, why take away something that helps more people get in some extra exercise?

I was only giving an example why it would be unfair for a man. I only had time to use the pool at a certain time, it's not in my mind to think oh men won't be able to use the pool now, most people just go when have free time. I'm not saying take it away just have a area available for men as well at the time. Also the pool I use has see through glass walls so people can see them anyway.
Yeah, that can be considered sexist and fits the sexist description. Its understandable why they feel like they need a women only time but isn't it too much to prevent men to use the pool? That's over doing it.

Latest