The Student Room Group

Alkanes

Hi, I'm not sure about this question, so any help appreciated. I don't need a reason just which is correct, A, B, C or D. Thanks in advance :h:

A 1, 2 and 3 are correct
B 1 & 2 are correct
C 2 & 3 are correct
D 1 is correct

Which of the following statements are true?
1 2-bromo-2-methylbutane can be produced by the reaction between HBr and either 2-methylbut-1-ene or 2-methylbut-2-ene.
2 2-bromo-2-methylbutane is the major product formed when HBr reacts with 2-methylbut-1-ene.
3 2-bromo-2-methylbutane is the minor product formed when HBr reacts with 2-methylbut-2-ene.
Reply 1
Original post by cassie05
Hi, I'm not sure about this question, so any help appreciated. I don't need a reason just which is correct, A, B, C or D. Thanks in advance :h:

A 1, 2 and 3 are correct
B 1 & 2 are correct
C 2 & 3 are correct
D 1 is correct

Which of the following statements are true?
1 2-bromo-2-methylbutane can be produced by the reaction between HBr and either 2-methylbut-1-ene or 2-methylbut-2-ene.
2 2-bromo-2-methylbutane is the major product formed when HBr reacts with 2-methylbut-1-ene.
3 2-bromo-2-methylbutane is the minor product formed when HBr reacts with 2-methylbut-2-ene.

I think B.

You could figure this out on your own though...
1 True. The Br atom can be added to either bonding carbon of the double bond, in both cases the second carbon is part of the double bond.
2. True. Markovnikov's rule says that the more stable the carbocation stage in the reaction, the more likely it is to happen, and it is therefor the major product. Tertiary trumps primary in this case.
3. False. Tertiary trumps secondary.

The answer is B.

Quick Reply

Latest