The Student Room Group

differentiation confused?

If you do dy/dx of x^4/4 + 32/x^2 does it become dy/dx of 4x^4-1 + 32x-2 ?

Scroll to see replies

X^3 -64x^-3 is what you should get, remember the power of X is multiplied by the coefficient and and the new power is n-1 such that: if y = x^n
Dy/dx = nx^n-1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten

To find dydx \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} use the general rule;

if y=xn \displaystyle y = x^n then dydx=nxn1 \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = n \cdot x^{n-1}

For the second term dont forget to use the indice rule 1an=an \displaystyle \frac{1}{a^n} = a^{-n}

Edit: damn i am too slow with latex :angry:
Original post by DylanJ42

if y=xn \displaystyle y = x^n then dydx=nxn1 \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = n \cdot x^{n-1}

For the second term dont forget to use the indice rule 1an=an \displaystyle \frac{1}{a^n} = a^{-n}

I was actually thinking how much nicer it would look with latex

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by kiiten

You can't do dy/dx of some function or expression. You do d/dx of something. If you have y=f(x) and differentiate both sides wrt x, you get dy/dx=f'(x).
Original post by drandy76
I was actually thinking how much nicer it would look with latex

Posted from TSR Mobile

and im thinking of how much quicker the reply would be without latex :laugh:

we can never win :tongue:
Think the best method is a quick post before editing to put it in latex, best of both worlds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I try to do things in LaTeX first. I find it hard to understand things not formatted nicely. But yeah, it is slow. I need to practice more so I don't have to keep looking at the wiki page.
Reply 8
Original post by drandy76
Think the best method is a quick post before editing to put it in latex, best of both worlds

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, just keep using LaTeX, gets faster than not using LaTeX after a while and and some practice.
Reply 9

So for x^4/4 using the indice rule do you get 4x^3 which is differentiated to get 12x^2 ?
Original post by kiiten
So for x^4/4 using the indice rule do you get 4x^3 which is differentiated to get 12x^2 ?

you have f(x)=x44 \displaystyle f(x) = \frac{x^4}{4} which can be rewritten as f(x)=14x4 \displaystyle f(x) = \frac{1}{4} \cdot x^4

ignore the 1/4 for now. can you differentiate x^4 for me? :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by kiiten

Differentiating is a liner operation. i.e:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*} \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left(af(x)\right) = a\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left(f(x)\right)\end{equation*}

Use this in conjunction with DylanJ's post above.
Original post by Zacken
Nah, just keep using LaTeX, gets faster than not using LaTeX after a while and and some practice.

This, I always use LaTeX and I've become quite good at it now. I can type up things quite fast.
Reply 13
Original post by edothero
This, I always use LaTeX and I've become quite good at it now. I can type up things quite fast.

LaTeX\LaTeX masterrace
Original post by Zacken
LaTeX\LaTeX masterrace

I'd rep but according to TSR, you've been stealing quite a lot of them recently :colonhash:
Reply 15
I'd rep but according to TSR, you've been stealing quite a lot of them recently :colonhash:

Have a rep from me. :yep:
Reply 16
you have f(x)=x44 \displaystyle f(x) = \frac{x^4}{4} which can be rewritten as f(x)=14x4 \displaystyle f(x) = \frac{1}{4} \cdot x^4

ignore the 1/4 for now. can you differentiate x^4 for me? :biggrin:

Ahh i see - i remember this method now. Do you get x^3 ?
Original post by kiiten
Ahh i see - i remember this method now. Do you get x^3 ?

y=xny = x^{n}

dydx=nxn1\dfrac{dy}{dx} = nx^{n-1}

in this case n=4n=4

So you are right, it would be x3x^{3} but you're missing something else!
Reply 18
y=xny = x^{n}

dydx=nxn1\dfrac{dy}{dx} = nx^{n-1}

in this case n=4n=4

So you are right, it would be x3x^{3} but you're missing something else!

Missing something? I only differentiated the first term (x^4/4) to get x^3
Original post by kiiten
Missing something? I only differentiated the first term (x^4/4) to get x^3

Oh I see, no you're correct! I thought you meant you got x3x^{3} when you differentiated x4x^{4}

My bad!

ddx(14x4)=x3\dfrac{d}{dx}(\dfrac{1}{4}x^{4}) = x^{3}

:biggrin::yy:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest