The Student Room Group

M3 Vertical Circular Motion

With questions involving a particle moving in a complete vertical circle, is it the tension that has to be > 0 or v^2 that has to be > 0 at the top? I'll post an example if required..
Reply 1
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
With questions involving a particle moving in a complete vertical circle, is it the tension that has to be > 0 or v^2 that has to be > 0 at the top? I'll post an example if required..

Tension.
bump
Reply 4
I think maybe one is a necessary condition and the other is necessary and sufficient or something like that? I'm not entirely sure myself. @Student403 will know.

The speed has to be > 0.
Original post by EricPiphany
The speed has to be > 0.

But then the particle could be moving freely under gravity, not necessarily remaining in circular motion..?

Original post by Zacken
Tension.

Depends on what the particle is attached to. If it is on the end of a rod or in a tube, it can't fall out of the circular path, so it is the speed that must remain positive (not to mention real). If it is on the end of a string or going round inside a hollow sphere, so that it can fall out of the circular path, it is the tension (or normal reaction) that must remain > = 0 (think the Simpsons movie).
Reply 8
Original post by tiny hobbit
Depends on what the particle is attached to. If it is on the end of a rod or in a tube, it can't fall out of the circular path, so it is the speed that must remain positive (not to mention real). If it is on the end of a string or going round inside a hollow sphere, so that it can fall out of the circular path, it is the tension (or normal reaction) that must remain > = 0 (think the Simpsons movie).

Aaaahh, that makes a ton of sense, thank you!
But then the particle could be moving freely under gravity, not necessarily remaining in circular motion..?

Already answered above by tiny hobbit.
Accept that I would say that the speed > 0 is a condition that needs to be fulfilled either way.
The speed can never be < 0, if the maths says so, it'll never reach there.
And tension by definition is greater or equal to zero.
(edited 8 years ago)

Oh, so if it was at the end of a string, T > 0? That makes sense ish as in the question above, the particle is attached to a rod, the sneaky bugger :wink:

EDIT : having reread your post, you've already answered that ^. Thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)

Yes. tiny hobbit explains it well..

Here is a summary from the Edexcel textbook. Basically the tension in a rod is irrelevant

Original post by Student403

Here is a summary from the Edexcel textbook. Basically the tension in a rod is irrelevant

Okay, thank you
Original post by Student403

I'm glad that all those years of teaching it have proved useful!
I'm glad that all those years of teaching it have proved useful!

I wish I had you to teach me M3 :laugh: Self teaching was a nightmare..

Quick Reply

Latest