The Student Room Group

Vectors question

The roof of a house has a rectangular base of side four metres by eight metres. The ridge line of the roof is six metres long and one metre above the base of the roof. Calculate the acute angle between two opposite slanting edges of the roof.

How would I visualise this info? I don't know what the roof looks like and which sides go where.
Think of it as like a pyramid
Reply 2
Original post by stopopups
Think of it as like a pyramid

What does it mean by '1 metre above the base of the roof'?
Reply 3

Not sure about the angle, but I'm fairly sure that's the roof shape they mean.

E: actually, I think I have the wrong angle. But hopefully the rest of it makes sense.
E2: Okay, what actually are they talking about? That last sentence is really vague...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
How would I display that using three dimensional vectors?
Original post by TSRforum
How would I display that using three dimensional vectors?
take on corner point to be the origin, then from there, each other point can be taken as 3d vectors relative to the origin
Reply 6
Original post by drandy76
take on corner point to be the origin, then from there, each other point can be taken as 3d vectors relative to the origin

So I got A = (0,0,0), B= (4,0,0), C= (4,8,0), D= (0,8,0) and V= (2,2,1) thought when I use dot product I still get the wrong answer.
So I got A = (0,0,0), B= (4,0,0), C= (4,8,0), D= (0,8,0) and V= (2,2,1) thought when I use dot product I still get the wrong answer.

would you mind posting your working out?
Reply 8

I think your last co-ordinate should be (2,1,1)
Reply 9
Original post by Alexion
I think your last co-ordinate should be (2,1,1)

Tried that one now and still got wrong answer.
I made sure both vectors were directed away from the intersection. I did dot product rule with (2,1,1) and (6,1,1)
Tried that one now and still got wrong answer.
I made sure both vectors were directed away from the intersection. I did dot product rule with (2,1,1) and (6,1,1)

You're mixing your co-ordinates up now (it would be [2,1,1] and [2,7,1]), but I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to do...
to be clear, are you using theta = cos-1 dot product/product of magnitude
Reply 12
Original post by drandy76
to be clear, are you using theta = cos-1 dot product/product of magnitude

Yes
Reply 13
Original post by Alexion
You're mixing your co-ordinates up now (it would be [2,1,1] and [2,7,1]), but I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to do...

How did you get 2,7,1? Did you do V-B? If you did C-V what angle does that work out?
(edited 8 years ago)
How did you get 2,7,1? Did you do V-B?

I'm just saying that by defining your corners as XYZ (0,0,0), (4,0,0), (4,8,0) and (0,8,0) you can't have a position with XY (6,2) as that's not above the roof :/
Reply 15
Original post by Alexion
I'm just saying that by defining your corners as XYZ (0,0,0), (4,0,0), (4,8,0) and (0,8,0) you can't have a position with XY (6,2) as that's not above the roof :/

This is my final w/o: image.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest