The Student Room Group

Are women happier after sexual revolution as opposed to before?

So I was reading the BBC news and stumbled across an article of china's sexual revolution: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35525566

As always, women having sex before marriage is awesome and very progressive! Anything non-traditional is very progressive!

In my opinion, it's pretty meaningless. What i'm more interested in is, are women today happier than women before sexual revolution? Does anyone have any statistics for this?
I wouldn't say sex is meaningless, but I do agree that it doesn't deserve the taboo status.
Happiness is rather hard to measure, normally. I assume some are genuinely happier, a lot of the older people it won't have made any difference to as they'll keep doing what they were doing anyway, and a good proportion of younger women seem to have found multiple other things to be annoyed about sooo if I was to guess I'd say overall happiness levels across the gender have probably stayed about the same.

Original post by Bealzibub
Anything non-traditional is very progressive!

No more paper hats, presents or Christmas trees on 25th of December. Very progressive!
Depends on what you mean by happiness, do you mean generally happier with their sex lives? Well, I cannot speak for all women but it seems that things are better now than they were at the time when people were less aware of female pleasure and a woman discussing her sexuality was taboo. Does not sound like a very fulfilling sex life even after marriage when it's all about the man and his pleasure.
Original post by WBZ144
Depends on what you mean by happiness, do you mean generally happier with their sex lives? Well, I cannot speak for all women but it seems that things are better now than they were at the time when people were less aware of female pleasure and a woman discussing her sexuality was taboo. Does not sound like a very fulfilling sex life even after marriage when it's all about the man and his pleasure.

not just sex lives, I mean entire life in general.
not just sex lives, I mean entire life in general.

We have equal rights now and can choose what to do with our lives. That's never a bad thing :smile:
We don't really know the answer, but this now famous study suggests otherwise. http://freakonomics.com/2007/10/01/why-are-women-so-unhappy/
So I was reading the BBC news and stumbled across an article of china's sexual revolution: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35525566

As always, women having sex before marriage is awesome and very progressive! Anything non-traditional is very progressive!

In my opinion, it's pretty meaningless. What i'm more interested in is, are women today happier than women before sexual revolution? Does anyone have any statistics for this?

What you have to remember is it's not all about women. Many men aren't willing to wait any more. I could save my virginity but it's unlikely that I'm going to get a guy to marry. I know Christian virgin women in their 30s still waiting patiently for a husband who is most likely never coming. Meanwhile the women who slept with 20+ guys before their 25th birthday are the ones getting married and living happily ever after. I know a girl who is only 21 and slept with many men and had many marriage proposals to go with it. I'm not saying women should sleep around at all, and I certainly don't as I feel it is meaningless. What I'm trying to say is the days of old are well and truly gone. I can't talk for other cultures though.
Original post by WBZ144
We have equal rights now and can choose what to do with our lives. That's never a bad thing :smile:

Think about the wider picture not just about that, I agree equal rights and free choice is good but sexual revolution has had a much bigger effect.

Think commitment, marriage, single mothers, cheating etc
Original post by Anonymous
What you have to remember is it's not all about women. Many men aren't willing to wait any more. I could save my virginity but it's unlikely that I'm going to get a guy to marry. I know Christian virgin women in their 30s still waiting patiently for a husband who is most likely never coming. Meanwhile the women who slept with 20+ guys before their 25th birthday are the ones getting married and living happily ever after. I know a girl who is only 21 and slept with many men and had many marriage proposals to go with it. I'm not saying women should sleep around at all, and I certainly don't as I feel it is meaningless. What I'm trying to say is the days of old are well and truly gone. I can't talk for other cultures though.

I highly doubt the marriage of those women who slept with many guys will last very long. If they are getting loads of marriage proposals, I'm guessing they must be pretty. Statistically, according to studies done .. they have a pretty low chance of a stable marriage, whereas women who wait have like an 80% rate of stability. Indeed, this isn't just about women but men too that's what I mean when I say the wider picture. Sexual revolution has changed men too. Living happily ever after? How many men will actually commit for lifetime these days? A lot of people cheat these days too (men and women)
(edited 8 years ago)
Think about the wider picture not just about that, I agree equal rights and free choice is good but sexual revolution has had a much bigger effect.

Think commitment, marriage, single mothers, cheating etc

I used to be a Muslim and believe me when I tell you that Muslim marriages are a lot like they were over here before the sexual revolution (though this is slowly changing). Divorce rates are low, couples seem committed and everyone is a big, happy family on the surface....

The real issue is that although families stay intact, behind the scenes there are lots of unhappy marriages. There are people who feel trapped because getting a divorce is taboo and there are people who cheat but are so discreet that they are rarely found out. That's because being found out would bring shame on their entire family. There are parents who fight like cats and dogs day and night behind close doors, leaving their children scarred and with a skewed idea of marriage.

I believe that the sexual revolution let people be more open about what they wanted. A lot was happening behind the scenes before that and it had to be hushed up because that's what was "proper".
Original post by WBZ144
I used to be a Muslim and believe me when I tell you that Muslim marriages are a lot like they were over here before the sexual revolution (though this is slowly changing). Divorce rates are low, couples seem committed and everyone is a big, happy family on the surface....

The real issue is that although families stay intact, behind the scenes there are lots of unhappy marriages. There are people who feel trapped because getting a divorce is taboo and there are people who cheat but are so discreet that they are rarely found out. That's because being found out would bring shame on their entire family. There are parents who fight like cats and dogs day and night behind close doors, leaving their children scarred and with a skewed idea of marriage.

I believe that the sexual revolution let people be more open about what they wanted. A lot was happening behind the scenes before that and it had to be hushed up because that's what was "proper".

I know plenty of middle eastern muslim people and honestly, I look up to them when it comes to family/relationship matters. Taboo of getting a divorce ... I would believe that for people born abroad and then immigrated here, but the ones born here, I certainly don't think they would tolerate that. I've been to my muslim friends house ... they all seemed pretty and none had skewed view of marriage tbh. I'm not sure about foreign born muslims as I haven't spoken to any. What's so bad about marriages before the sexual revolution? I think it's insane to suggest a big number of marriages before the revolution stayed together because they had no choice. My family itself, all have very happy marriages before the revolution and not a single one divorced. I call it ********, sure there would have been quite a few marriages like that.
I highly doubt the marriage of those women who slept with many guys will last very long. If they are getting loads of marriage proposals, I'm guessing they must be pretty. Statistically, according to studies done .. they have a pretty low chance of a stable marriage, whereas women who wait have like an 80% rate of stability. Indeed, this isn't just about women but men too that's what I mean when I say the wider picture. Sexual revolution has changed men too. Living happily ever after? How many men will actually commit for lifetime these days? A lot of people cheat these days too (men and women)

No they are not that pretty the girl who is 21 for instance has massive forehead wrinkles already like a 40 year old. Some of them are even overweight. But what they all have in common I notice is a kind of no-BS kind of attitude. Being nice, sweet and dressing and behaving modestly doesn't keep the guy these days I'm afraid and just gets you either pushed over or ignored. Women are becoming more masculine and aggressive and to be honest a lot of men can't seem to get enough of it.

I agree with you though such marriages probably are not very stable. But it is the traditional girls who will be the cat ladies.
I know plenty of middle eastern muslim people and honestly, I look up to them when it comes to family/relationship matters. Taboo of getting a divorce ... I would believe that for people born abroad and then immigrated here, but the ones born here, I certainly don't think they would tolerate that. I've been to my muslim friends house ... they all seemed pretty and none had skewed view of marriage tbh. I'm not sure about foreign born muslims as I haven't spoken to any. What's so bad about marriages before the sexual revolution? I think it's insane to suggest a big number of marriages before the revolution stayed together because they had no choice. My family itself, all have very happy marriages before the revolution and not a single one divorced. I call it ********, sure there would have been quite a few marriages like that.

I did not say that they were all unhappy, but a significant number of them probably were. People are less likely to get a divorce if it is looked down on in their communities, so they would rather stay in an unhappy marriage. Of course there were happy marriages and there are in those Muslim communities I spoke about but there are also more people who don't really have a way out due to societal taboos.

Quick Reply

Latest