The Student Room Group

Driving lessons - How many?...

Hello,

I have had 7 lessons already, each lesson being 1 hour 30 minutes.
I am looking to book my driving practical test at the end of May as I believe that will leave me enough time to pass and as I have just passed my theory.
I have one lesson each week too.

My question is what is the average amount of lessons someone has to pass their driving test (preferably first time)?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There isnt really a set number of hours...as it varies from person to person. Someone i know took <15, others took around 30. Do you get much practice out of lessons (with parents etc)?
Reply 2
Original post by RichardR21
Hello,

I have had 7 lessons already, each lesson being 1 hour 30 minutes.
I am looking to book my driving practical test at the end of May as I believe that will leave me enough time to pass and as I have just passed my theory.
I have one lesson each week too.

My question is what is the average amount of lessons someone has to pass their driving test (preferably first time)?

According to my old driving instructor it's 30-35 hours of lessons with an instructor, and 10-15 hours of personal practice. These are only guides though, everyone learns at different rates, some may require more or less lessons than others. Personally, I only had around 25 lessons, but I also had a fair amount of personal practice due to purchasing my own car.

Point being, if you think you'll be ready by May, go for it! Best of luck to you!
Original post by Merfie
According to my old driving instructor it's 30-35 hours of lessons with an instructor, and 10-15 hours of personal practice. These are only guides though, everyone learns at different rates, some may require more or less lessons than others. Personally, I only had around 25 lessons, but I also had a fair amount of personal practice due to purchasing my own car.

Point being, if you think you'll be ready by May, go for it! Best of luck to you!

Thank you for your help! That has cleared it. Up a lot for me :smile:
Original post by Machstang
There isnt really a set number of hours...as it varies from person to person. Someone i know took <15, others took around 30. Do you get much practice out of lessons (with parents etc)?

No I don't get any extra practice with friends or parents outside of my tuition lessons.
I have asked but they say they're not insured to take me out?
Would you reccommend driving in a different car as well?
My tuition driving lessons are in a 1.7 Corsa, my parents is 1.3 Vw
No I don't get any extra practice with friends or parents outside of my tuition lessons.
I have asked but they say they're not insured to take me out?
Would you reccommend driving in a different car as well?
My tuition driving lessons are in a 1.7 Corsa, my parents is 1.3 Vw

So in order to drive any car, you need to be insured on it. As you are still a provisonal driver, it is reasonably cheap.
Its ok to drive in different cars when learning, so long as they are same transmission and fuel type etc. The extra practice will really help out, especially if you are only getting one hour per week. Gives you an opportunity to go over content learnt with your instructor.
To go back to your original question, it is best just to take your time with lessons leading up to your final test.
Its also a good idea to book the test as soon as you think you are ready as there is often a very long waiting list, so keep that in mind when deciding a date.
Need any more help, feel free to give me a shout.
Reply 6
I think I had about 24 hours of lessons, 3 or so hours with my dad. Though my lessons were 3 hours a week, so less gap between likely helped me.
So in order to drive any car, you need to be insured on it. As you are still a provisonal driver, it is reasonably cheap.
Its ok to drive in different cars when learning, so long as they are same transmission and fuel type etc. The extra practice will really help out, especially if you are only getting one hour per week. Gives you an opportunity to go over content learnt with your instructor.
To go back to your original question, it is best just to take your time with lessons leading up to your final test.
Its also a good idea to book the test as soon as you think you are ready as there is often a very long waiting list, so keep that in mind when deciding a date.
Need any more help, feel free to give me a shout.

Thanks for your reply and help.
Yes I will look into that about driving with my parents. Although I thought their insurance also had to allow people like myself with a provisional license to drive? Or do I only have to get insurance for myself? For example a day worth?
I had 32 hours of tuition and passed first time. 1 hour a week.
Around 8 of those hours were mock tests.
Im not sure how much private practice i had. 2-3 hours i would say.
As long as you stay calm during the test, its really not that bad. I forgot i was on my test and thought it was another driving lesson.
Practice the manouvers, theyre what will catch you out if youre not careful.
Original post by FireFreezer77
I had 32 hours of tuition and passed first time. 1 hour a week.
Around 8 of those hours were mock tests.
Im not sure how much private practice i had. 2-3 hours i would say.
As long as you stay calm during the test, its really not that bad. I forgot i was on my test and thought it was another driving lesson.
Practice the manouvers, theyre what will catch you out if youre not careful.

Thank you!! Well I'll be aiming roughly, well budgeting for 30 hours! Maybe a little more! Already had 6 lessons, accumulating 8 hours in total and I am having my 7th lesson this week and starting / touching on the first manoeuvre (whichever that is) . Is that good progress if you can remember?

Cheers
Thank you!! Well I'll be aiming roughly, well budgeting for 30 hours! Maybe a little more! Already had 6 lessons, accumulating 8 hours in total and I am having my 7th lesson this week and starting / touching on the first manoeuvre (whichever that is) . Is that good progress if you can remember?

Cheers

No worries.
I honestly cannot remember around my 7th lesson. It was over a year ago now.
I think i had done roundabouts and an emergency stop.
I think i was then starting on the reverse around a corner manoeuvre. I found that one to br the hardest.
Your progress is good. I would say its probably around the same as mine was at that time.
Keep learning at that rate, you might well be ready for your test in may.
Thanks for your reply and help.
Yes I will look into that about driving with my parents. Although I thought their insurance also had to allow people like myself with a provisional license to drive? Or do I only have to get insurance for myself? For example a day worth?

Not necessarily. My parents had to get an entirely new insurance just to accommodate me being a provisional driver. Depending on the provider, your parents may be able to add another driver (you) on to their pre-existing insurance. Would need to ask your provider though.
Not necessarily. My parents had to get an entirely new insurance just to accommodate me being a provisional driver. Depending on the provider, your parents may be able to add another driver (you) on to their pre-existing insurance. Would need to ask your provider though.

Oh I see, so it's not really worth it then if their insurance won't allow me or allow my parents to add me:

Original post by FireFreezer77
No worries.
I honestly cannot remember around my 7th lesson. It was over a year ago now.
I think i had done roundabouts and an emergency stop.
I think i was then starting on the reverse around a corner manoeuvre. I found that one to br the hardest.
Your progress is good. I would say its probably around the same as mine was at that time.
Keep learning at that rate, you might well be ready for your test in may.

Thanks for your reply ! Yeah I've already done a few bigger round abouts and loads of mini-roundabouts. Think I'll be going into roundabouts in more detail and then manoeuvres next week!
Thanks for your help : :smile:
As many as it takes to make you feel that you are ready to take and pass the actual practical driving test. :smile:
Reply 15
Remember that people are less likely to comment saying it took them 60-80+ hours compared to people who did it in very few lessons. It's realistically about 40 hours of lessons, or replace every 1hour lesson with about 2hours of personal driving time (to a limit) if you can get a family member to let you drive their ride.
Oh I see, so it's not really worth it then if their insurance won't allow me or allow my parents to add me:

I wouldn't go as far to say it isn't worth it, but i can almost guarantee that it wont take you as many hours to pass your test if you are able to practice out with lessons. Especially when you get to manoeuvres, really important to be able to practice them as much as possible. Again, its worth looking into but if its not possible its not the end of the world.
Has your instructor not mentioned practising out with lessons to you?
Thanks for your reply ! Yeah I've already done a few bigger round abouts and loads of mini-roundabouts. Think I'll be going into roundabouts in more detail and then manoeuvres next week!
Thanks for your help : :smile:

No worries. Good luck
I wouldn't go as far to say it isn't worth it, but i can almost guarantee that it wont take you as many hours to pass your test if you are able to practice out with lessons. Especially when you get to manoeuvres, really important to be able to practice them as much as possible. Again, its worth looking into but if its not possible its not the end of the world.
Has your instructor not mentioned practising out with lessons to you?

Ok, I will look into wether I am able to drive with my parents? Is there anything I need to do or be aware of for that? I have asked my parents and they're clueless haha! Also no my instructor hasn't mentioned anything about additional lessons outside of his tuition
Ok, I will look into wether I am able to drive with my parents? Is there anything I need to do or be aware of for that? I have asked my parents and they're clueless haha! Also no my instructor hasn't mentioned anything about additional lessons outside of his tuition

If the parents dont know, get them to ask their provider about it. They should be able to give you a quote.
Main thing to know is that you have to have someone with you who is over 21 and passed their practical test x amount of years ago (ie, a parent) to be with you at all times while driving. If you were to drive without being supervised, you are in a spot of bother.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending