The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody actually think Arsene is the best man for this job any more?

@sevchenko?
Wtf are you on about? Hitting the vodka too hard pal.
Original post by David Brent.
Yo Ali, you snapped out of your funk yet? Still think Wenger is Sir Alex's equal?

Lol at you still trying to gain relevance in this thread.
Reply 4843
Definitely miss Santi

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4844
Also really badly miss Jack. No one showed hunger today, Jack would have

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SA-1
Also really badly miss Jack. No one showed hunger today, Jack would have

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. No one shows more passion them him. Such a shame about his injury woes, a definite future captain.
Original post by AliRizzo
Lol at you still trying to gain relevance in this thread.

Answer the question
Original post by David Brent.
Answer the question

See previous argument, never said he was better than him.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
It's a not a losing culture. Loser culture would be more appropriate. I would blame the players today tbh. They thought it was going to be easy, but we just wanted it more. Your midfield was non-existant in the first half.

The players were abject but we've seen this type of performance in big games too many times now. At the end of the day it comes back to Wenger.

Original post by Lúcio
Personally I think some of you guys scapegoat him when you shouldn't. He's right in a lot of what he says and if you don't like him predicting a loss, just put him on the ignore list.

It's not a losing culture per se, it's an "almost" mentality. You go in and out of form - sometimes you're deadly at the beginning, sometimes at the end. Nothing is certain with Arsenal except the end result; you'll fall short of where you should be.
I'm not having a dig, I just look at your team and see how superior it is (particularly in midfield). It amazes me how little Wenger has done with such a strong squad in recent years.

Most of what he says wrt Wenger is spot on. It's just his extreme pessimism (which borderlines flat out trolling at times) which is what annoys people.

Losing and "almost" mentality are the same thing; they both lead to the same end result, which is us being second best whenever it matters. Wenger is past it as a manager. Like you've said even with the team we have it's the same lacklustre performances we saw during the trophy less years. We've changed everything; players, backroom staff, fitness coaches, and we're still a bottling team. Only thing that's remained constant is Wenger. Nothing left to defend him now.
Give me reasons why Arsenal are better than Spurs this season

COYS
A rare Spurs fan appears out of nowhere. Gonna be terrible if they finally finish above us, let alone win the league.
Original post by Dnkz7
Give me reasons why Arsenal are better than Spurs this season

COYS

We're not better than spurs this season. Spurs are actually three points ahead of us (dunno if you realised).
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
The players were abject but we've seen this type of performance in big games too many times now. At the end of the day it comes back to Wenger.

Most of what he says wrt Wenger is spot on. It's just his extreme pessimism (which borderlines flat out trolling at times) which is what annoys people.

Losing and "almost" mentality are the same thing; they both lead to the same end result, which is us being second best whenever it matters. Wenger is past it as a manager. Like you've said even with the team we have it's the same lacklustre performances we saw during the trophy less years. We've changed everything; players, backroom staff, fitness coaches, and we're still a bottling team. Only thing that's remained constant is Wenger. Nothing left to defend him now.

True, it's never helpful to see pessimism but it's hard to get it of the mentality of you have no belief in your manager. I was like that with Rodgers and I still am a little since Klopp hasn't had a summer.

They nearly are - what I mean is that on your day you can be extraordinary, but (like you said) when it matters in the grand scheme, you throw it all away.
Wenger should've retired a few years ago to be honest but his past success means he's safe as long as he wants to stay.

Look on the bright side - at least you didn't lose a cup final today!
I have a celebratory/comfort food pizza waiting but I don't really have an appetite anymore. We tried so hard :frown:
Original post by e aí rapaz
We're not better than spurs this season. Spurs are actually three points ahead of us (dunno if you realised).

I do realise that, but I still continue to get hounded by many Arsenal fans who think we don't have a chance of winning the league

He probably has some chants that he'll dish out next week:
"Pochie's gone to Wembley, now he'll win the league-y"
"Theo Walcott, he can't hit a door"
etc.

But as I said. The only hope of finishing above them, if we lose to them, is when Poch says we're in a "negative spiral". :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anybody actually think Arsene is the best man for this job any more?

Most people haven't thought he was the best man for challenging for the title (let alone Europe) for many, many years. He's the best man for the job for finishing regularly in financially lucrative league and CL knockout positions. So whether he should leave depends on whether you're a fan or one of the owners.

It's a choice between being a Premier League Charlton or risking being a Leeds for the sake of being a 90s/00s Man Utd.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Nice rek but Arsenal have enough quality in heir side to win the league. No question.

It's the mentality of the players under Wenger. He literally inspires them to bottle it, every single year.
However as long as he's getting paid, why would he leave?

A few weeks ago I would have disagreed with you but it's just becoming ridiculous now. To think Wenger was once a great winner and now he suffers these embarrassing defeats regularly pains me so much. As much as I love to blame those bottling players they are, at the end of the day, his signings and I'm starting to feel that that mentality is sweeping the club from the top to the bottom, and Wenger needs to start packing his bags if we ever wanna be seen as serious contenders again.

I do think he'll leave if we don't win it this season. As some have already said if Spurs/Leicester win the league Wenger's position at the club will be untenable. I think he realises this too.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Most people haven't thought he was the best man for challenging for the title (let alone Europe) for many, many years.

That's not true. The number of people who believe he is has been going down over time, but even last summer a significant percentage of the fan base would've been happy for Wenger to sign a contract extension.
Original post by Lúcio
True, it's never helpful to see pessimism but it's hard to get it of the mentality of you have no belief in your manager. I was like that with Rodgers and I still am a little since Klopp hasn't had a summer.

They nearly are - what I mean is that on your day you can be extraordinary, but (like you said) when it matters in the grand scheme, you throw it all away.
Wenger should've retired a few years ago to be honest but his past success means he's safe as long as he wants to stay.

Look on the bright side - at least you didn't lose a cup final today!
I have a celebratory/comfort food pizza waiting but I don't really have an appetite anymore. We tried so hard :frown:

Wenger should have left after the 2014 FA Cup final tbh. Our board, however, are full of yes men who won't push him to take us forward and will let him leave when he wants instead of telling him to leave when he should.

Feel for you guys. Always painful losing a semifinal/final, especially on penalties.
Reply 4859
Did you see Wenger's post-match interview. He mentioned "character" (bingo) and "mental strength" (bingo) but it was rather half-hearted. He does know his team sucks. I don't think he accepts it's down to him just yet though, and TBH if there were more natural leaders in the team then Wenger's failings maybe wouldn't matter so much. As it is, the few leaders there are are surrounded by too many half-assed losers and that will wear anyone down eventually.

Latest