The Student Room Group

NEED HELP PLEASE! Resitting GCSES and Applying for Diagnostic Radiography

Hey guys, just going to explain my situation and how I got here.

19 years old and want to study an access course.

Here are my current GCSEs (as a result of lack of effort and not appreciating the opportunities restricted with bad grades)

https://gyazo.com/defb581ea512ff57a0e3be79b1827ac1
https://gyazo.com/4c42eb136f03c96025ce2e900c6c8ee5

Some of the Universities I want to apply to are asking for 5 A*-C GCSEs for Diagnostic Radiography (the course I intend on completing)

But some are asking for only English language & Mathematics at C+

I would resit my Maths GCSE during my Access course, but this would make things harder during my access course.

So I have a few questions:

Do I resit GCSEs before I start my access course in September in an effort to get 5 to give myself more Uni options?

Some of the Universities have said they would take the access course in lieu of a Science gcse so I guess I'd only need 4?

edit; could I resit certain modules to up my overall grade? How much does it cost to resit exams at 19?

Just looking for any advice really.

Appreciate it guys x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
is TSR sleeping? :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by KyleH123

So I have a few questions:

Do I resit GCSEs before I start my access course in September in an effort to get 5 to give myself more Uni options?

edit; could I resit certain modules to up my overall grade? How much does it cost to resit exams at 19?

The main entry deadline for summer has already passed (21 February). You can still pay late fees to enter but fewer centres would accept you.

The rules have changed in the past few years. You can carry forward controlled assessment but you have to re-sit all the exam units to get a new GCSE grade.

If you enter exams as a private candidate then you have to pay the exam fee (about £30 but more like £60 because of the late fees) plus any admin/invigilation charge the centre adds on. This can be anything from £0 to £100 per GCSE.

I suggest you think about which subjects you might want to re-sit, look at the exam board websites for advice for private candidates and then ring round centres. The exam board prices don't increase again until mid April but the longer you leave it the harder it will be to find a centre willing to accept you.
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
The main entry deadline for summer has already passed (21 February). You can still pay late fees to enter but fewer centres would accept you.

The rules have changed in the past few years. You can carry forward controlled assessment but you have to re-sit all the exam units to get a new GCSE grade.

If you enter exams as a private candidate then you have to pay the exam fee (about £30 but more like £60 because of the late fees) plus any admin/invigilation charge the centre adds on. This can be anything from £0 to £100 per GCSE.

I suggest you think about which subjects you might want to re-sit, look at the exam board websites for advice for private candidates and then ring round centres. The exam board prices don't increase again until mid April but the longer you leave it the harder it will be to find a centre willing to accept you.

Really appreciate the response.
Do you know which GCSEs can be resit with just an exam?
Reply 4
Original post by KyleH123
Really appreciate the response.
Do you know which GCSEs can be resit with just an exam?

Just looked at your results and they're mostly WJEC. If you're in Wales the rules are different and I' don't really know what they are.

Maths is all exam. I think Sociology is all exam. You should be able to carry forward controlled assessment for others.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
Just looked at your results and they're mostly WJEC. If you're in Wales the rules are different and I' don't really know what they are.

Maths is all exam. I think Sociology is all exam. You should be able to carry forward controlled assessment for others.

Thanks Compost.
You really helped fertilise my soil.

I think I'll contact WJEC on Monday
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
hi i am 16 years old i am in first year of collage and i don't pass my maths and English and also science i am retaking it again this year my question is if i pass my maths and English and also science could i still have chance to study radiographer
Original post by israela1
hi i am 16 years old i am in first year of collage and i don't pass my maths and English and also science i am retaking it again this year my question is if i pass my maths and English and also science could i still have chance to study radiographer

Of course, you could still have a chance :smile:

Which universities are you looking at?
Reply 8
Original post by israela1

You need to study at least one Science A level https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/radiographer which will be a real challenge if you didn't get your Science first time round, although doing very well at A BTEC in Applied Science might be suitable instead.

Quick Reply

Latest