The Student Room Group

Should I do sociology as a 5th a level?

So, I have the opportunity to do sociology as a 5th a level, the AQA course.
Is it an interesting subject, or just a load of mindless memorising?
Is it very much just left wing propaganda?
Have you learnt a lot about society by studying it?
Is it a huge workload?

Next year I will be doing english, chemistry, maths and french or spanish (I'm not sure which one).

I think I want to do a humanities subject and I love history and learning about people, which is why sociology seems interesting, but I don't want that to compromise my other subjects.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't take a fifth A-level, problem solved.
Reply 2
Original post by Jamie S
Don't take a fifth A-level, problem solved.

:colonhash: It isn't that simple when you can't decide on what you actually want to do in life and sociology might help me become a more well rounded person
Plus I like writing and philosophising.
Original post by Martyana
So, I have the opportunity to do sociology as a 5th a level, the AQA course.
Is it an interesting subject, or just a load of mindless memorising?
Is it very much just left wing propaganda?
Have you learnt a lot about society by studying it?
Is it a huge workload?

Next year I will be doing english, chemistry, maths and french or spanish (I'm not sure which one).

I think I want to do a humanities subject and I love history and learning about people, which is why sociology seems interesting, but I don't want that to compromise my other subjects.

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK5J0-cM-HEI'm currently doing Sociology A2 and I've applied to do it at uni in Sep. It's so interesting and I've learnt a lot about society. I wouldn't say you have to mindlessly memorise the info. You do have to memorise a lot but because the content is easy to apply to everyday life, I don't struggle much with memorising. The studies done by the sociologists can be harder to memorise but I just make flashcards for those.I don't think there's a huge workload either. There's no coursework involved. To succeed in it, you need to be good at essay writing, forming arguments, be able to apply your knowledge well.

I recommend the subject.
No. You can't even take any of the main sciences at uni with this combination and sociology doesn't open much.
Reply 5
Original post by undine_monty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK5J0-cM-HEI'm currently doing Sociology A2 and I've applied to do it at uni in Sep. It's so interesting and I've learnt a lot about society. I wouldn't say you have to mindlessly memorise the info. You do have to memorise a lot but because the content is easy to apply to everyday life, I don't struggle much with memorising. The studies done by the sociologists can be harder to memorise but I just make flashcards for those.I don't think there's a huge workload either. There's no coursework involved. To succeed in it, you need to be good at essay writing, forming arguments, be able to apply your knowledge well.

I recommend the subject.

That is a really good video!
essay writing and no coursework sounds good.
So does sociology help you to understand current affairs and why society is how it is?
Reply 6

I think I want to do a humanities subject and I love history and learning about people, which is why sociology seems interesting, but I don't want that to compromise my other subjects

:colonhash: It isn't that simple when you can't decide on what you actually want to do in life and sociology might help me become a more well rounded person

Don't do 5 A levels there is no point. If you are aiming for uni it will not benefit you in any way doing 5 rather than 4 subjects. You will simply just have to spread yourself further to try and cover all your subjects when you don't have to. You are already doing some quite challenging subjects so use your time to concentrate on those - it is better to have 4 good grades than 5 ok grades.

Seriously don't do 5 - we don't let anyone [even with all A* GCSEs] do 5 with the new specifcations. Read about the subject for fun ...
Reply 8
Original post by Vikingninja
No. You can't even take any of the main sciences at uni with this combination and sociology doesn't open much.

Vikingninja, YES A FAN OF RICK AND MORTY!!!!!
and erm I'm not exactly sure what I want to do. Biology and physics are not my forte, but I do like chem and maths.
Although sociology might not open much, it might make me more knowledgeable about the world we live in.
Vikingninja, YES A FAN OF RICK AND MORTY!!!!!
and erm I'm not exactly sure what I want to do. Biology and physics are not my forte, but I do like chem and maths.
Although sociology might not open much, it might make me more knowledgeable about the world we live in.

Yeah wouldn't do a 5th A level since you don't get much from a 5th one let alone sociology in this combination. Have you researched courses you may want to do at uni or something like that and what it requires?
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
Seriously don't do 5 - we don't let anyone [even with all A* GCSEs] do 5 with the new specifcations. Read about the subject for fun ...

Okay thanks, I heard that the new spec will be a lot harder, but I haven't heard of 5 subjects not being allowed at some sixth forms/colleges :frown:
What do you mean by 'WE don't let anyone' ?
Reply 11
Yeah wouldn't do a 5th A level since you don't get much from a 5th one let alone sociology in this combination. Have you researched courses you may want to do at uni or something like that and what it requires?

Oh I've looked at a LOT of courses and I am torn between sciences and languages :s-smilie:
Oh I've looked at a LOT of courses and I am torn between sciences and languages :s-smilie:

A lot of sciences you will need two facilitating sciences to get into.
That is a really good video!
essay writing and no coursework sounds good.
So does sociology help you to understand current affairs and why society is how it is?

In a broad sense, yeah. I guess you could understand the reasoning behind current affairs using some of the theories.

Sociology is a subject covering many areas of society such as politics, the family, gender, racism etc etc.
Reply 14
A lot of sciences you will need two facilitating sciences to get into.

Okay, thanks for the advice :smile:
I will try to see ask myself whether I like bio or physics enough, in the upcoming months!
biology is alright, but the pages and pages of words and KEY words that need to be mentioned at all times are very annoying. However, it is more understandable than physics to me.
Okay thanks, I heard that the new spec will be a lot harder, but I haven't heard of 5 subjects not being allowed at some sixth forms/colleges :frown:
What do you mean by 'WE don't let anyone' ?

I meant the schol where I teach.

No, it is that simple, take it from an A level student, 5 is too much. I promise you, you need to be expecting straight As and A*'s to be looking at that

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing 5 AS levels as well! One of them being sociology, and I promise you the memorization makes it about 100% easier! Generally, though, I'm pretty good at remembering things off the bat- so I wouldn't suggest it if you're not good with remembering loads of names of sociologists.The essays are mostly information-dumping as well which, again, relieves a lot of stress. Honestly, as long as you know your stuff, you'll be fine

I'm doing AQA too I believe, so don't worry about it beingtoo left wing- that more or less depends on the teacher. You look through a variety of lenses at different topics, such as Functionalist and Marxist arguments on whatever you're studying, sometimes a few more.
Don't do 5 AS Levels. Any school/college offering you that don't have a clue what they are doing.
If you wnat to do History, then why arent you doing history?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending